Top 5 forwards

Started by meow meow, December 27, 2019, 03:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Who will they be? Why? What will they average?

Surely Whitfield #1. As long as he doesn't miss too many through injury he will be in the top group.

Then who?

eaglesman

Forward but if a raffle after whitfield Walters Martin.

Heeney probably lock for top 10.

Lots of roller coaster riders after that.

Watching Hugh greenwood in preseason to see how much midfield he will play as nicely priced with good mid exposure.

Feel like defense safer than forward so perhaps Dawson more a play forward but still a wait and see for me.

Jack Steven gotta be a big chance if he shows any signs of fitness and form.

meow meow

I'd say Steven's ceiling is 95. He's 30 years old, needs to get fit, new team to adjust to that already has big dogs running the show, where he was the big dog at the saints. A couple of years ago he was averaging 103-104 and it's unlikely that he has back there.

Still, 95 should do nicely for F4-F6

RaisyDaisy

I've had a close look at all the forward options, and I think it's fair to say that 90 is the benchmark this year

Whitfield, Dusty, Walters and Heeney are the only 4 high end prems I would consider, as they're capable of 95+ and I don't think there's many other fwds who can do that

Then I'd be looking at Buddy/Tmac/Steven/Dev as I am very confident those 4 will be able to match or go close enough to anyone else that's up there besides the 4 prems I mentioned,  and are bargain priced

Start 2-4 of Whit/Dusty/Walters/Heeney and 2-4 of Buddy/Tmac/Steven/Dev. Forget about the rest

GoLions

Would chuck a sneaky fiddy on Stepho for top 10

LordSneeze

Lets say 90 is the passing mark and what you need to be looking for in your starters.

Right now id be saying
Whitfield, Martin, Heeney are the locks for a 90+
Walters, Ablett, Greene all have strong potential to be 90+ but have Injury, Age or Suspension risks in picking
Everything else after that is a raffle.
Thought for me is to start 2 of Whitfield, Martin & Heeney then 1 breakout option (Greenwood possibly) then a Mid price at M4 (Smith, Franklin Etc)

Whitfield - 3 years over 90, priced at 111, risk of overpaying if starting. Should be a lock for the top 6.
Walters - 1 Year over 90, Priced at 100, has only had 2 years playing all games in his career and only 1 good year of scoring. Might be top 6, but not a lock.
Martin - 8 years over 90 and 5 years over 100. This year is his lowest starting price since 2014, Should be a lock for top 6
Ablett - Has averaged over 90 in every year of supercoach. At 35 he isn't a lock for top 6, but if he is fit and playing you will be a brave man to say he wouldn't be.
Heeney - 3 straight years over 90 and should be able to again. Should be a lock for a 90+ average.
Greene - 5 years over 90, has been known to have brain snaps and while he should be solid for a 90 average, if you pick him and he does snap you lose out on the players who took the other options.
Cameron - 1 year over 90, no guarantee to be a top 6 and likely to drop off from last year.

crowls

as usual great summary ls.    lot of risk/reward in fwds this year will make for an interesting year

meow meow

Darcy Parish to breakout as a full time mid.

Peter

Thoughts on Ceglar? Allegedly taking first ruck spot, 90 points average for a forward, DPP with Cameron?

meow meow

Why is everyone picking Whitfield?

Averaged over 100 for the first time this year, but he missed 6 matches in 2 patches. If you pay up for him and he gives the exact same output would you be happy with it? No. You'd cop rookie scores and have to burn trades.

Let's see a 21 match season at 110 then you'll be a no brainer. Until then you're overpriced! I'll be spending my money on more reliable guns in the midfield.

meow meow

Quote from: Peter on December 28, 2019, 05:20:29 PM
Thoughts on Ceglar? Allegedly taking first ruck spot, 90 points average for a forward, DPP with Cameron?

2 bad matches in a row and Big Boy is back in there. Big risk.

I can see the appeal of the DPP as one of GG is going to miss at some point but I don't think Ceglar will average 90 or be worthy of F6.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: meow meow on December 28, 2019, 08:23:56 PM
Quote from: Peter on December 28, 2019, 05:20:29 PM

2 bad matches in a row and Big Boy is back in there. Big risk.

I can see the appeal of the DPP as one of GG is going to miss at some point but I don't think Ceglar will average 90 or be worthy of F6.

There's no upside starting him

He needs to be a keeper at that price. I'll happily pay the extra 50k for him later on if it looks like he's R1 and constantly putting up good scores, but I doubt it's going to happen

coglan13

Quote from: meow meow on December 28, 2019, 08:17:35 PM

Averaged over 100 for the first time this year, but he missed 6 matches in 2 patches. If you pay up for him and he gives the exact same output would you be happy with it? No. You'd cop rookie scores and have to burn trades.

Let's see a 21 match season at 110 then you'll be a no brainer. Until then you're overpriced! I'll be spending my money on more reliable guns in the midfield.
Definitely overpriced but can you afford to not start him? Should be a definite top 6 forward barring injury. If he starts the season in form and you don't have him then you'll be playing catch up from day 1. Risky to not start him.

LordSneeze

Quote from: coglan13 on December 29, 2019, 01:38:09 PM
Quote from: meow meow on December 28, 2019, 08:17:35 PM

Definitely overpriced but can you afford to not start him? Should be a definite top 6 forward barring injury. If he starts the season in form and you don't have him then you'll be playing catch up from day 1. Risky to not start him.
Its not needed to start him, but you need atleast 2 top 6 to start otherwise your playing catchup. He is likely to be number 1 fwd so a safe pick.

Personally im not starting him at this point as going Grundy and Gawn the extra $ is needed.

Mat0369

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 27, 2019, 06:15:42 PM
I've had a close look at all the forward options, and I think it's fair to say that 90 is the benchmark this year

Whitfield, Dusty, Walters and Heeney are the only 4 high end prems I would consider, as they're capable of 95+ and I don't think there's many other fwds who can do that

Then I'd be looking at Buddy/Tmac/Steven/Dev as I am very confident those 4 will be able to match or go close enough to anyone else that's up there besides the 4 prems I mentioned,  and are bargain priced

Start 2-4 of Whit/Dusty/Walters/Heeney and 2-4 of Buddy/Tmac/Steven/Dev. Forget about the rest

Swap T-Mac with Acres. I see him going 85 at worst on the wing.

The one that would take the big balls to start but could win you the whole thing is Greene. He tore the back end of the season to shreds but also played a lot through the middle due to injuries.