Defenders 2020

Started by LordSneeze, December 24, 2019, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: shaker on February 26, 2020, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 26, 2020, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on February 26, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
I hadn't considered Hunter Clark in SC at all, he's in my AF side, but it's now tempting with a score of 97 off 81% TOG.  Not sure I can do him and Houston though, I feel like being a bit looser with my lineup this season.

Save a bundle and roll with Houston, Clark and Milera ;)
Houston looks a goer Clark maybe need another look at him Milera never again to much distance between his good games and his bad ones found that out first hand last year.

I had Milera last year too and his scoring is dependent on his role

When he's playing down back he scores well (Like last week) but when they move him around (like most of last year) his scoring is poor

He was taking a lot of the kick ins last week, so if he continues to do that and stay down back he could go back to the 90+ def that he was for parts of last year and 2018

Can't see myself starting him, but he's someone I am keeping an eye on

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 26, 2020, 05:09:39 PM
I hadn't considered Hunter Clark in SC at all, he's in my AF side, but it's now tempting with a score of 97 off 81% TOG.  Not sure I can do him and Houston though, I feel like being a bit looser with my lineup this season.

Houston looks a goer Clark maybe need another look at him Milera never again to much distance between his good games and his bad ones found that out first hand last year.

When he's playing down back he scores well (Like last week) but when they move him around (like most of last year) his scoring is poor

He was taking a lot of the kick ins last week, so if he continues to do that and stay down back he could go back to the 90+ def that he was for parts of last year and 2018

New coach might help this year but you still have Smith and Doedee to come back in trying to limit those 400K players they seem to be the ones that lose or make no money and flower up your season.

jvalles69

Milera was ok to start then he got injured didn't he?  Took awhile to get going again.

Pokerface

Quote from: shaker on February 26, 2020, 05:29:03 PM

New coach might help this year but you still have Smith and Doedee to come back in trying to limit those 400K players they seem to be the ones that lose or make no money and flower up your season.
Not buying the Smith in midfield chatter?

RaisyDaisy

Doedee shouldn't impact Milera at all

shaker

Quote from: Pokerface on February 26, 2020, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: shaker on February 26, 2020, 05:29:03 PM

Not buying the Smith in midfield chatter?
Think he did a bit of that later last year? more to do with not liking Milera seems he has big lapses of form watching him last year in some games he just does not get near the ball.

MontyJnr

Quote from: eaglesman on February 23, 2020, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 23, 2020, 08:58:20 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 23, 2020, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 23, 2020, 08:49:28 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on February 23, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
I know only preseason and I’m not even sure he scored well in sc.
But I like Houston after today.
Mainly because rocky is now HOPELESS and there is definitely holes in that midfield.

His midfield role is definitely real.

Been locked in my side for ages

90+ at least, with 95+ very achievable

Scored 96 SC today, and that seems a little unders for 22 touches, 9 tackles and 10 clearances - certainly scope for improvement there
Improve DE from 68% and 100+ on cards.  Only 71% TOG as well.

Only 71% TOG too

I think he is worth the $25k saving over Sicily.

These little $20-30k savings quite important especially this season.

Are the savings really that important though?

With an extra ~40k, you can turn an Oliver into a Mitchell, a Dangerfield into a Macrae or a Williams into a Lloyd. I don't see much difference in those choices though - the cheaper players could easily score just as well.

People are acting like Houston is this absolute steal, but he has never averaged 90 before and is still priced at 485k. For an extra 40k, you can get a proven premium in Laird who is a safer bet to finish top 6. Both must be top 6 keepers at their pricepoints.

If he does perform, worst case for non-owners is they lose ~50k on Houston owners as he rises above 500k - certainly not season defining by any stretch.

I am interested in Houston, but the hype for him seems way over the top.

RaisyDaisy

He was locked in my side because that extra money saved allowed me to get the rest of my side how I liked it. I reckon he matches Caleb/Stewart/Laird too, so the extra cash was needed

Houston is now not in my side (Have restructured so he had to go)

I'm certain he will be a Top 10 defender, but yes you certainly don't need to start him. He doesn't bang out heaps of 120+ scores so he won't cost much more during the season

jvalles69

I see Houston being top 6 so I'm rolling with him at D2, if I didn't think he could be top 6 I'd just lock in Laird.  The leg up needs to come from somewhere and there are a few options around in the Def and For spots that could give you that leg up.

wizlad

houston entering the guts this year should be good for a 95-105
preseason looked good with lowish tog

jvalles69

Who are guaranteed to be in the top 6, Lloyd, Laird and Sicily?  Then you've got Docherty, Stewart, Daniel, Houli, Williams, Crisp in the next bracket, then the unknowns Houston, Clark, Milera, Witherden, Hill?  That look about right?  There are guys in those second 2 brackets who could have a higher average than Laird and Sicily I think...

tommy10

Quote from: jvalles69 on February 27, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
Who are guaranteed to be in the top 6, Lloyd, Laird and Sicily?  Then you've got Docherty, Stewart, Daniel, Houli, Williams, Crisp in the next bracket, then the unknowns Houston, Clark, Milera, Witherden, Hill?  That look about right?  There are guys in those second 2 brackets who could have a higher average than Laird and Sicily I think...
Crisp wont be top 10. What about Hurn/Ryan? Can get the ball but his DE is awful as he butchers the ball. Can get you a 120 (rarely I might add) but then get you a 50/60. Dont see him personally improving his avg from last year and is more suited to AF/DT.

LordSneeze

Quote from: tommy10 on February 27, 2020, 06:37:59 PM
Crisp wont be top 10. What about Hurn/Ryan? Can get the ball but his DE is awful as he butchers the ball. Can get you a 120 (rarely I might add) but then get you a 50/60. Dont see him personally improving his avg from last year and is more suited to AF/DT.

Arguably Lloyd is the only player guaranteed to be in the top 6. I wouldn't say Laird & Sicily are.

Laird seems to have a higher floor than the other options and is priced low compared to his potential if it all clicks
Sicily has a much higher potential than others around his price, but he is no guarantee to be top 10 let alone top 6.

The way I have it split right now taking into account the Price, Potential, Injury history etc you would be paying.
Tier 1 - Lloyd
Tier 2 - Williams, Laird, Sicily, Docherty
Tier 3 - Stewart, Haynes, Crisp, Houston
Tier 3.5 - Ryan (Couldn't decide)
Tier 4 - Houli, Hurn, Daniel, Rampe, Rich, Newman, Mcgovern, Weller, Smith, Salem

I only looked at the top 20.

On Crisp I have him Tier 3 as he is likely to fall around the 95 mark and for the price I feel that is stronger than taking some of the more expensive players. Ceiling is not big in comparison to other options, but he get the ball and there is potential for increases without output increases. Stewart to me is ahead of him as he is a flat track player, I want to see if he can improve his DT to SC conversion rate before taking.

shaker

Quote from: LordSneeze on February 27, 2020, 07:39:28 PM

Arguably Lloyd is the only player guaranteed to be in the top 6. I wouldn't say Laird & Sicily are.

Laird seems to have a higher floor than the other options and is priced low compared to his potential if it all clicks
Sicily has a much higher potential than others around his price, but he is no guarantee to be top 10 let alone top 6.

The way I have it split right now taking into account the Price, Potential, Injury history etc you would be paying.
Tier 1 - Lloyd
Tier 4 - Houli, Hurn, Daniel, Rampe, Rich, Newman, Mcgovern, Weller, Smith, Salem

On Crisp I have him Tier 3 as he is likely to fall around the 95 mark and for the price I feel that is stronger than taking some of the more expensive players. Ceiling is not big in comparison to other options, but he get the ball and there is potential for increases without output increases. Stewart to me is ahead of him as he is a flat track player, I want to see if he can improve his DT to SC conversion rate before taking.
Reckon Daniel has been hard done by in your rankings LS he could easily be in the 3 group?

LordSneeze

Quote from: shaker on February 27, 2020, 07:46:39 PM
Quote from: LordSneeze on February 27, 2020, 07:39:28 PM

Tier 1 - Lloyd

Reckon Daniel has been hard done by in your rankings LS he could easily be in the 3 group?

All personal opinion.

He was priced as a direct comparison to Stewart.
Has never played 22 games. Had 3 years of 77-80 and then jumped up to 99. Stewart has missed 1 game in 2 years and has had 3 consecutive years of improvement, not 1 big jump.

Ceiling is much lower than most players (124 max history) which is the same as Stewart, but Stewarts floor score 74 was higher than Daniel 68.

To me I don't see him as a T3 option and being a better pick than Houli, Hurn etc.