Defenders 2020

Started by LordSneeze, December 24, 2019, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

If I am structuring up my backs I am looking at at least one of Lloyd, Daniel and Laird, Sam Docherty, one of Doedee/Roberton/Birchall, Stephen Hill and rookies.

Of those guys I listed I'm only really locking in Lloyd, Doc and Hill. I'll see what the rest of the rookies are like before filling out the line. Roberton and Birchall I have half put a line through. Both are probably too expensive at mid to high 200's. with a history of not seeing the field. Doedee is a bit of a question mark as well. You're looking at him bouncing back to 80ish but he isn't a keeper and he is pretty pricey at 270ish.

Stewart and Hurn were the other two over 500k I would have started if they weren't underdone. If I am looking at 400k guys the three I'd be looking at are Howe, Hurley and Blakely.

Howe didn't have a pre-season last year, struggled for parts but came back from his calf injury in round 18 and averaged close the ton (99.88) in the last 8 including finals. He has also averaged over 90 three of the last 4 seasons.

Hurley has averaged 85.9, 94.5, 102.5 and 90.6 in the 4 years prior to last years 79.7. His numbers didn't drop off drastically either, he had 2 less handballs but 1 more mark per game. The risk is there but he could bounce back to that 90-100 range.

Blakely hasn't had a clean run at it. He was one I was looking to lock in last year. He had a strong back end to 2017, struggled 2018 with his body, injured himself at the end of preseason 2019 and came back to a dysfunctional Dockers side without a clear cut role. He has proven he can score and score big, but he hasn't done it consistently enough so he probably is on the upgrade list rather than one I start with.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Peter on January 24, 2020, 07:14:02 PM
I always respect RD’s opinion as he is usually right, but I don’t think Port’s game plan allows both to flourish. But I probably will be proven wrong (again)

Haha Pete, I wouldn't suggest starting both - the picture was more so that both are legit starting options

DBJ should continue to rebound off HB and Houston is moving into the mids, so I do think they can both flourish and score well, but it's probably not ideal starting both, take a shot on one perhaps and stick with the more proven def prems to start

dylanclements

What do people think of Lachie Weller?

It's probably from left field about but showed a fair bit last year, averaging 22 touches and 89 SC.

He went ten games straight last year only going below 90 twice for 87 and 82. Rarely goes really low and looks consistent, and any natural improvement would see him rise to a good standard. There are a few obvious concerns, including that he's not heaps of value at 480k, the Suns will be terrible again, and that his ceiling isn't high. The risk might not be worth it, but he could be worth a look.

Hoggyz_a_legend

Quote from: dylanclements on January 27, 2020, 03:38:29 PM

It's probably from left field about but showed a fair bit last year, averaging 22 touches and 89 SC.

He went ten games straight last year only going below 90 twice for 87 and 82. Rarely goes really low and looks consistent, and any natural improvement would see him rise to a good standard. There are a few obvious concerns, including that he's not heaps of value at 480k, the Suns will be terrible again, and that his ceiling isn't high. The risk might not be worth it, but he could be worth a look.

I had him in a few versions of my team pre season last year. This year he's just that little bit more expensive, so is less worth it. I reckon he'll improve again, but probably not enough to make you rue not having him. I reckon low 90s avg is reasonable. Decent PoD if you have the nads to pick him.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Hoggyz_a_legend on January 27, 2020, 10:58:41 PM
Quote from: dylanclements on January 27, 2020, 03:38:29 PM

I had him in a few versions of my team pre season last year. This year he's just that little bit more expensive, so is less worth it. I reckon he'll improve again, but probably not enough to make you rue not having him. I reckon low 90s avg is reasonable. Decent PoD if you have the nads to pick him.

Yeah I just can't see any upside at all

He has a high floor which is attractive, but he also has a low ceiling - plenty of other guys who are better picks

eaglesman

I know only preseason and I’m not even sure he scored well in sc.
But I like Houston after today.
Mainly because rocky is now HOPELESS and there is definitely holes in that midfield.

His midfield role is definitely real.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: eaglesman on February 23, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
Mainly because rocky is now HOPELESS and there is definitely holes in that midfield.

Been locked in my side for ages

90+ at least, with 95+ very achievable

Scored 96 SC today, and that seems a little unders for 22 touches, 9 tackles and 10 clearances - certainly scope for improvement there

Ringo

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 23, 2020, 08:49:28 PM

Scored 96 SC today, and that seems a little unders for 22 touches, 9 tackles and 10 clearances - certainly scope for improvement there
Improve DE from 68% and 100+ on cards.  Only 71% TOG as well.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Ringo on February 23, 2020, 08:56:13 PM

Only 71% TOG too

Mat0369

That was one of the most boring halves of football I've watched. Tuned out after HT. Neale was the standout.
Houston didn't impress in the first half but the only Port mids that looked good were Boak and Duursma.

Interestingly enough Cannon was the designated kicker for Port taking the kick ins. At just under 300k it could be interesting to see if he stays in that role.

eaglesman

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 23, 2020, 09:46:57 PM
That was one of the most boring halves of football I've watched. Tuned out after HT. Neale was the standout.
Houston didn't impress in the first half but the only Port mids that looked good were Boak and Duursma.

Interestingly enough Cannon was the designated kicker for Port taking the kick ins. At just under 300k it could be interesting to see if he stays in that role.
Dead right about boak. He is a great POD pick I reckon

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 23, 2020, 08:58:20 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 23, 2020, 08:56:13 PM

Only 71% TOG too

I think he is worth the $25k saving over Sicily.

These little $20-30k savings quite important especially this season.

jvalles69

I hadn't considered Hunter Clark in SC at all, he's in my AF side, but it's now tempting with a score of 97 off 81% TOG.  Not sure I can do him and Houston though, I feel like being a bit looser with my lineup this season.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: jvalles69 on February 26, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
I hadn't considered Hunter Clark in SC at all, he's in my AF side, but it's now tempting with a score of 97 off 81% TOG.  Not sure I can do him and Houston though, I feel like being a bit looser with my lineup this season.

Save a bundle and roll with Houston, Clark and Milera ;)

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 26, 2020, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on February 26, 2020, 04:11:06 PM

Save a bundle and roll with Houston, Clark and Milera ;)
Houston looks a goer Clark maybe need another look at him Milera never again to much distance between his good games and his bad ones found that out first hand last year.