Defenders 2020

Started by LordSneeze, December 24, 2019, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSneeze

So with the team picker out we now have some information to work with in setting up some locks, watch, risk options.

Defenders has historically been an area when a lot of people have the same 2-3 Premiums to start and there isn't normally alot of variety to choose from, or there is some nailed on selections. Lloyd, Laird, Whitfield, Williams, Docherty, Simpson, Sicily have been staples over the last few years. But Simpson (Age), Docherty (Price means D4), Whitfield (Pos Change) means that we have potential for some unique starting choices if you want to step away for the Lloyd, Laird, Williams, Docherty D1-D4 option that I feel might be the cookie cutter selection. Players like Houli, Stewart, Ryan, Vlaustin, Rampe, Salem all options that could POD starting selections.

Here is my take on the top 5 priced players

Lloyd - $591k - Back to back averages over 108, Has missed 1 game in 4 years, Only 2 scores under 80 in last 44 games but rarely goes huge, flat track bully scoring, consistently consistent. DT increased in 2019, but SC decreased. Even if output reduces slightly there is the potential for scores to maintain or increase. For the same price in the Mids you can get Yeo, Gaff, Boak, etc who im not as confident in as a premium and I don't feel have the upside or consistency of Lloyd. Locked in for me and should be some of the most selected players

Houli - $571k - Has always been a player that can have hot spells and score very highly, but his 105 average last year is out of character of his previous history and potential for improvement is low, huge risk of overpaying at this price. Has had 4 years of injury riddled seasons, so risk of missing games. No for me and will wait to see how he is looking and if his price drops might jump on as a 6th-7th defender.

Hurn - $562k - 32 years old going into this season and coming in at his highest ever starting price. Did not go over 104 points after R11 and priced at 103.5. 3 scores over 120 and were all in the first 9 rounds last year. For the price you are paying in the hope that he will be able to recover to the form shown in the first half of the 2019 season, but this is a big risk as he could drop majorly.

Williams - $551k - Priced at 101.6 Williams is a unique proposition. Stedily increasing his output Year On Year and able to average 101 off only 24 possessions per game, mainly due to an increase in his marking and swing in his Kick To Handball Ratio from 1.4 to 2.8.  With 11 of 20 scores over 100 and 5 over 120 we know that he is able to score big. 3 scores under 80 can hurt if he is a POD, but this would be a fairly safe starting selection. By no means is he nailed on and I feel he is the one that can be dropped to take a POD option if you are confident in someone else. I feel waiting to see where he is playing and how he is set up might be worth given his price shouldn't increase massively unless he goes off and averages 120+ over the first 6-8 rounds.

Daniel - $537k - Position change from Fwd to Def for this year. Had a breakout last yer with 10/17 scores over 100. There is still the worry with him that he hasn't got the ceiling of the options. Given the price and other options around him, I don't feel he is worth taking a punt on breaking out into the Uber Premium. Definite upgrade option if he is able to show he can put in some bigger numbers and remove the sub 80 scores from his game.

Feel free to chip in with your own thoughts and players. I might add more in as go through more options.

SilverLion

Docherty locked in for 100% of teams.

LordSneeze

Quote from: SilverLion on December 24, 2019, 07:07:39 PM
Docherty locked in for 100% of teams.
If named, but what do you do if he isn't named R1?
Also do you play him as D4 or D3? If GnR id say 4 with 2 on field rookies. If rookies look light you might need him as D3 to be able to stretch a bit further.

RaisyDaisy

Lloyd averaged 99 after the bye this year, so I don't think I'll be starting him this time (I did this year which was great) as I expect him to drop in price and don't think he will go 108 from the get go

ZWil I expect will be somewhat unique, and I initially was going to start him, but I'm not 100% convinced on doing that at the moment now too - GWS were riddled with injuries this year and he played a lot more midfield - if they start 2020 fit then he might not see as much mid time and could go 90ish, meaning he could be cheaper later too ala Lloyd

Houli and Hurn are just too old for me to consider starting at all - higher chances of missing games due to injury and decreasing their avg

Laird, Ryan, Daniel, Sicily and Stewart seem like safe D1-2 options imo and I expect them to all go 95ish+ and not drop much in value

Houston/DBJ I really like, and for now I have Houston starting in my side

Docherty at D3 is completely fine imo, with Doedee at D4, but I can certainly get on board with the idea of having them at D4/5 too

crowls

Have excluded all in your list LS.   Generally def top rank are overpriced, their is always value around high 400k or low 500k. 
Lloyd will be mid season upgrade option,   Zac, scores will be suspect depending on make up of GWS and how much time williams may get in mids, otherwise he is a mid 90 scorer.

Hurn is priced at top of his mark, Houli is getting on and we need players on the ground week in and out,
Gone for sicily (patton in fwds will benefit him), Doc, DBJ and Doedee at D4.   very happy with this starting group.

LordSneeze

Quote from: crowls on December 24, 2019, 10:12:25 PM
Have excluded all in your list LS.   Generally def top rank are overpriced, their is always value around high 400k or low 500k. 
Lloyd will be mid season upgrade option,   Zac, scores will be suspect depending on make up of GWS and how much time williams may get in mids, otherwise he is a mid 90 scorer.

Hurn is priced at top of his mark, Houli is getting on and we need players on the ground week in and out,
Gone for sicily (patton in fwds will benefit him), Doc, DBJ and Doedee at D4.   very happy with this starting group.

Lloyd is he only one of the top 5 Im really looking at as a starter,  Im confident he will be a top 6 defender and at worst if he averages 100 he will only drop 40k or so. In my mind there is the same chance that he comes out averaging 115 as there is he averages 100, so is a logical starter for me. I agree in general though that most of the top 5 are overpriced for what they are likely to do.

enzedder

Agree with just about everything that has posted.
Lloyd, Stewart and Docherty is what I have decided on.

meow meow

Is everyone certain that Doc will be top 6?

Mat0369

Quote from: meow meow on December 26, 2019, 04:18:37 PM
Is everyone certain that Doc will be top 6?

New game plan but it will suit him anyway. He is too good reading the play and his drive from HB is huge. If he isn't in 100% of teams there is something wrong. Will probably be top 2 if not the number 1 defender come the end of the year.

LordSneeze

Not guaranteed top 6, but has potential to be number 1 defender. Do you really want to risk every match and overall having him and you not? To big a risk not to start him.

Southstorm

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on December 27, 2019, 07:50:58 PM

If he plays preseason yes, if not definitely not. Hasn't he missed two seasons ?
From all reports he's looking pretty good at the moment at training, said to be running, turning and kicking very well. Preseason will be the test but for now he's at least looking fit I guess.

jvalles69

DBJ an option instead of Houston?

RaisyDaisy

jvalles69

That little girl is the spitting image of my cousins daughter.

Peter

I always respect RD’s opinion as he is usually right, but I don’t think Port’s game plan allows both to flourish. But I probably will be proven wrong (again)