Adelaide Crows - Team & List Review

Started by LordSneeze, December 16, 2019, 01:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSneeze

Will try to do this for each team over the coming month as the Team Picker gets released and played with. Let me know your thoughts and why not jump in on the discussion, the more involved the better the insights.

List Analysis
In 2019 the Adelaide Crows had one of the oldest lists in the competition, and in a year that was overall, underwhelming, the rookies hardly got a look in, much to the frustration of the clubs supporters.
Of its 2018 draftees â€" Chayce Jones played 8 games with none of Ned McHenry, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl, Kieran Strachan or Jordon Butts managing to get a debut. The Crows’ latest round of draftees should see more action in their first year than the previous crop, with Fischer McAsey and Harry Schoenberg both chances for an early-season debut.
Jones and McHenry recently ran first and second in the club’s first time trial of the pre-season, which bodes well for both.

Who has left: Richard Douglas (delisted), Andy Otten (retired), Paul Hunter (delisted), Cam Ellis-Yolmen (Brisbane Lions), Eddie Betts (Carlton), Sam Jacobs (GWS Giants), Hugh Greenwood (Gold Coast Suns), Alex Keath (Western Bulldogs), Josh Jenkins (Geelong Cats)
Who has arrived: Billy Frampton (Port Adelaide)
2020 Draftees â€" Fischer McAsey, Harry Schoenberg, Josh Worrell, Ronin O’Connor, Lachlan Gollant

DEFENDERS
Locks - D Talia (69.55), K Hartigan (44.05), L Brown (68), W Milera (74.12), R Laird (96.82), J Kelly (74.82)
Fringe/Backups â€" T Doedee (56 injury impacted)
Rookies â€" J Butts, W Hamill, L Scholl

The Crows defense is a very solid and experienced line. Even with the loss of Alex Keath it will be very hard for any rookie to be able to break into the line without multiple or long term injuries. With 2 key defenders in Talia & Hartigan, Jake Kelly able to play big or small, Luke Brown as a lockdown small defender and Milera & Laird as half backs, the starting defensive line appears well set. Taking the assumption Smith will continue in the wing type role Doedee is the logical backup/7th defender option that can play big or small. Avoid Crows Def rookies is possible as it is unlikely for them to break in for long term games.

Doedee
The fact that the Adelaide Defense is well set and has a strong group of players that will play 15-22 games makes me worried in considering Doedee at an expected $250k price point. Knowing he can score well enough to make it worth it, he hasn’t shown consistency yet with a high variability of scores in his first year. The strength of the Adelaide Defense makes it feasible that he will not be able to get consistent games, or will fall in that 15-18 game range that causes so many problems for SC coaches, there is a risk of rotation, but if he can lock down a position in the best 22 he’s one to consider as a 4th or 5th defender and hope for consistent early games.

Laird
The consistent Crows Defensive Premium and will be a very popular selection once again this year. Has missed 8 games in 5 years, with 4 years playing 20 or more games. With an average of 96.8 2019 was his lowest average since 2016. With only 3 scores under 80 in the last 2 years this should be a relatively safe starting pick with potential for 5-10 points per game upside. Lairds game is highly reliant on possessions, and with a drop of 5 Per Game last year. With Consistency, History, Durability & potentially underpriced do you really want to leave his as a POD for other teams!!!

MIDFIELD
Locks - M Crouch (103.68), B Crouch (98.36), R Sloane (103), B Smith (88.64), R Atkins (75.50)
Backup/Fringe - D Mackay, B Gibbs, B Keays, R Knight, P Seedsman
Rookies â€" C Jones, R O’Connor, H Schoenberg, P Wilson, A McPherson

Having lost Douglas, Ellis Yolman & Greenwood, who between them played 33 games last year’s, opens up opportunities for some fringe or rookies to get some extra games. While the majority of this should come through the Fringe options, players like Jones & Schoenberg might do enough to be able to push into the side and get a consistent run, so keep an eye on them. For me through Ben Keays is the interesting one here given the players that have moved on and his game style. At the price of an Expensive rookie and with reasonable points available from players moving on he could realistically come though and be able to average 80-90, if played minimum average should be 75. Watch him in preseason and consider if he appears to have locked down a midfield spot. IMO there is a strong risk of rotation amongst the Fringe & Rookies, so buyer beware.

M Crouch
Much like previous years M Crouch is going to be one of those players than everyone looks at. He gets the ball, he has the reputation of being a premium, but many people forget that his game just doesn’t seem to translate into consistent high scores. The 103 average is tempting as he has in the past proven he can score 110, but his scoring game is highly reliant of DE %, Contested Possessions & Tackles. With a few inside bulls moving on, don’t be surprised to see an increase in his contested numbers. I’m expecting an increase in average closer to 110 this year, but there is too much reliance on a few stats to make it worthwhile pick for me. 

R Sloane
With the exception of an injury plagued 2018 Sloane has averaged between 100 & 115 in 8 straight years, with 2 of those going 110+. The issue with Sloane is that while he will put in multiple scores above 120 he will also put in multiple scores under 80. For a Premium Midfielder this is not normally what you need, he is consistently a POD, but this will cause you to win games you shouldn’t, but lose games you should be winning. With a starting price around 560k there is many better options with less volatility in scoring and similar upside. Avoid starting.

RUCK
Lock - R O’Brien (95.28)
Backup â€" B Frampton
Rookie â€" K Strachan

O’Brien came from nowhere last year getting an opportunity and taking it with both hands. With 4 scores above 120 he has already show he has a ceiling to go big. There are very few rucks who can come in and consitently dominate and score well especially in years 1, 2 & 3. Grundy took 5 years, Gawn 4 years, Goldstein 4 years.  Don’t be surprised to see him jump up to a 100-105 average, but there will be high variability in the scores and a rollercoaster ride. There are better options for the Crows and ruck position to pick O’Brien as a starter

FORWARD
Lock â€" T Walker, T Lynch, L Murphy
Backups/Fringe â€" J Galluci, D Fogarty, E Himmelberg, M Poholke, T Stengle, B Crocker
Rookies â€" S McAdam, F McAsey, N McHenry, J Worrell, L Gollant

With the losses of Betts and Jenkins there are a few positions available in the crows forward line for players to step into. Walker, Lynch & Murphy are locks, while Fogarty has arguably got ones spot locked up. This leaves 2 spots open. Galluci would be expected to play, with his speed this could be anywhere from Wing to Forward.

This is where these is opportunities for the rookies, McHenry as a second small forward being in his second year in the program could be an option, but don’t expect more than 50 ppg. McAdam is a possible call, a mature aged rookie who plays reasonably small, unlikely but could jump in ahead of McHenry and Stengle, even Crocker is a shout after moving over from Collingwood. McAsey is the one I think might be the best chance of debuting R1, built to be able to step straight in and play as a tall both Forward and Back, but more likely Forward at this point, fighting with Himmelberg and Poholke as a 4rd Tall.

With a new coach, change in direction and a rejuvenation of the list, 2020 shapes up as one where the Crows will be one to look for some cash cow options, but given the fringe options that haven’t got the consistent runs in the recent years, there is opportunity for them to get the first cracks. Watch preseason and if the rookies can break through expect them to be valuable cash cows.

RaisyDaisy

Nice work LS

Doedee is an absolute lock in their best 22, and my SC side too ;)

*EDIT* Doedee will actually be 300k+, so he's a pass for me now - too much for someone who won't be a keeper

LordSneeze

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 16, 2019, 02:11:50 PM
Nice work LS

If he plays then I would tend to agree, too big a risk not too pick as the potential is there to average 80-90.
For me Laird, Doedee and a Rookie from the crows will be the likely outcome.

meow meow

SURELY Gibbs bounces back under the new coach.

Hellopplz

Quote from: LordSneeze on December 17, 2019, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 16, 2019, 02:11:50 PM
Nice work LS

If he plays then I would tend to agree, too big a risk not too pick as the potential is there to average 80-90.
For me Laird, Doedee and a Rookie from the crows will be the likely outcome.
I think I may be looking at the same three, likely a forward rookie for a cash cow.

I like Keays alot, and he's added ability to kick goals up forward so could potentially slip in up forward for Crows. May be the case is he does well in the preseason but no room in the midfield.

meow meow

B: LAIRD, HARTIGAN, BROWN
HB: SMITH, TALIA, KELLY
C: Atkins, MATT, MILERA
HF: LYNCH, WALKER, _____
F: Murphy, FOGARTY, _____
R: ROB, SLOANE, BRAD
I: JONES, Seedsman, Doedee, ____

3 spots definitely up for grabs IMO, while the lowercase guys better be looking over their shoulders.

LordSneeze

Quote from: meow meow on January 04, 2020, 05:21:20 PM
B: LAIRD, HARTIGAN, BROWN
HB: SMITH, TALIA, KELLY
C: Atkins, MATT, MILERA
HF: LYNCH, WALKER, _____
F: Murphy, FOGARTY, _____
R: ROB, SLOANE, BRAD
I: JONES, Seedsman, Doedee, ____

3 spots definitely up for grabs IMO, while the lowercase guys better be looking over their shoulders.

Pretty close.
Doubt Chayse Jones is a lock, and with players like Gibbs, Mackay, Keays, Knight, Himmelberg, Galluci a few of those will likely be getting first opportunities. IMO there is 3-4 spots up for grabs, but likely to be only 1 or 2 for a rookie to be able to push into.

RaisyDaisy

I expect both Jones and McHenry to be locks and playing from Round 1

I also think 1 of Himmelberg/Frampton is likely to play each week too. Tex might move up a bit, and one of them should play deeper and chop out to ROB

LordSneeze

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on January 07, 2020, 11:42:35 AM
I expect both Jones and McHenry to be locks and playing from Round 1

I also think 1 of Himmelberg/Frampton is likely to play each week too. Tex might move up a bit, and one of them should play deeper and chop out to ROB

I think both are chances to play R1, but cannot personally say they are locks. Right now Id say they are fighting with Gallucci, Stengle, Keays & Knight for 2 spots.

I'm not sure of Himmelberg & Frampton, but understand that logic, don't really see a player who can be used as a chop out for ROB in the locks. Wouldn't surprise me if McAsey comes in ahead of both as the 3rd/4th tall though.

Peter

Can’t see how Jones will be any value - will be behind both Crouches and Sloane and if I am right, how can he get the points to increase in value? RD, where do you see him getting his points, besting in mind his spot in the pecking order?

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Peter on January 07, 2020, 05:34:47 PM
Can’t see how Jones will be any value - will be behind both Crouches and Sloane and if I am right, how can he get the points to increase in value? RD, where do you see him getting his points, besting in mind his spot in the pecking order?

I never said he was a lock for SC - best 22 is what I was referring to

Peter

Oops, my bad. Agree in best 22, but not in my fantasy teams this season

GM

Nicks will play and give opportunities to the young lads.I definitely see Jones as one the these,  getting opportunities early and scoring well.

TomK

Quote from: LordSneeze on December 16, 2019, 01:49:49 PM
Will try to do this for each team over the coming month as the Team Picker gets released and played with. Let me know your thoughts and why not jump in on the discussion, the more involved the better the insights.

List Analysis
In 2019 the Adelaide Crows had one of the oldest lists in the competition, and in a year that was overall, underwhelming, the rookies hardly got a look in, much to the frustration of the clubs supporters.
Of its 2018 draftees â€" Chayce Jones played 8 games with none of Ned McHenry, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl, Kieran Strachan or Jordon Butts managing to get a debut. The Crows’ latest round of draftees should see more action in their first year than the previous crop, with Fischer McAsey and Harry Schoenberg both chances for an early-season debut.
Jones and McHenry recently ran first and second in the club’s first time trial of the pre-season, which bodes well for both.

Who has left: Richard Douglas (delisted), Andy Otten (retired), Paul Hunter (delisted), Cam Ellis-Yolmen (Brisbane Lions), Eddie Betts (Carlton), Sam Jacobs (GWS Giants), Hugh Greenwood (Gold Coast Suns), Alex Keath (Western Bulldogs), Josh Jenkins (Geelong Cats)
Who has arrived: Billy Frampton (Port Adelaide)
2020 Draftees â€" Fischer McAsey, Harry Schoenberg, Josh Worrell, Ronin O’Connor, Lachlan Gollant

DEFENDERS
Locks - D Talia (69.55), K Hartigan (44.05), L Brown (68), W Milera (74.12), R Laird (96.82), J Kelly (74.82)
Fringe/Backups â€" T Doedee (56 injury impacted)
Rookies â€" J Butts, W Hamill, L Scholl

The Crows defense is a very solid and experienced line. Even with the loss of Alex Keath it will be very hard for any rookie to be able to break into the line without multiple or long term injuries. With 2 key defenders in Talia & Hartigan, Jake Kelly able to play big or small, Luke Brown as a lockdown small defender and Milera & Laird as half backs, the starting defensive line appears well set. Taking the assumption Smith will continue in the wing type role Doedee is the logical backup/7th defender option that can play big or small. Avoid Crows Def rookies is possible as it is unlikely for them to break in for long term games.

Doedee
The fact that the Adelaide Defense is well set and has a strong group of players that will play 15-22 games makes me worried in considering Doedee at an expected $250k price point. Knowing he can score well enough to make it worth it, he hasn’t shown consistency yet with a high variability of scores in his first year. The strength of the Adelaide Defense makes it feasible that he will not be able to get consistent games, or will fall in that 15-18 game range that causes so many problems for SC coaches, there is a risk of rotation, but if he can lock down a position in the best 22 he’s one to consider as a 4th or 5th defender and hope for consistent early games.

Laird
The consistent Crows Defensive Premium and will be a very popular selection once again this year. Has missed 8 games in 5 years, with 4 years playing 20 or more games. With an average of 96.8 2019 was his lowest average since 2016. With only 3 scores under 80 in the last 2 years this should be a relatively safe starting pick with potential for 5-10 points per game upside. Lairds game is highly reliant on possessions, and with a drop of 5 Per Game last year. With Consistency, History, Durability & potentially underpriced do you really want to leave his as a POD for other teams!!!

MIDFIELD
Locks - M Crouch (103.68), B Crouch (98.36), R Sloane (103), B Smith (88.64), R Atkins (75.50)
Backup/Fringe - D Mackay, B Gibbs, B Keays, R Knight, P Seedsman
Rookies â€" C Jones, R O’Connor, H Schoenberg, P Wilson, A McPherson

Having lost Douglas, Ellis Yolman & Greenwood, who between them played 33 games last year’s, opens up opportunities for some fringe or rookies to get some extra games. While the majority of this should come through the Fringe options, players like Jones & Schoenberg might do enough to be able to push into the side and get a consistent run, so keep an eye on them. For me through Ben Keays is the interesting one here given the players that have moved on and his game style. At the price of an Expensive rookie and with reasonable points available from players moving on he could realistically come though and be able to average 80-90, if played minimum average should be 75. Watch him in preseason and consider if he appears to have locked down a midfield spot. IMO there is a strong risk of rotation amongst the Fringe & Rookies, so buyer beware.

M Crouch
Much like previous years M Crouch is going to be one of those players than everyone looks at. He gets the ball, he has the reputation of being a premium, but many people forget that his game just doesn’t seem to translate into consistent high scores. The 103 average is tempting as he has in the past proven he can score 110, but his scoring game is highly reliant of DE %, Contested Possessions & Tackles. With a few inside bulls moving on, don’t be surprised to see an increase in his contested numbers. I’m expecting an increase in average closer to 110 this year, but there is too much reliance on a few stats to make it worthwhile pick for me. 

R Sloane
With the exception of an injury plagued 2018 Sloane has averaged between 100 & 115 in 8 straight years, with 2 of those going 110+. The issue with Sloane is that while he will put in multiple scores above 120 he will also put in multiple scores under 80. For a Premium Midfielder this is not normally what you need, he is consistently a POD, but this will cause you to win games you shouldn’t, but lose games you should be winning. With a starting price around 560k there is many better options with less volatility in scoring and similar upside. Avoid starting.

RUCK
Lock - R O’Brien (95.28)
Backup â€" B Frampton
Rookie â€" K Strachan

O’Brien came from nowhere last year getting an opportunity and taking it with both hands. With 4 scores above 120 he has already show he has a ceiling to go big. There are very few rucks who can come in and consitently dominate and score well especially in years 1, 2 & 3. Grundy took 5 years, Gawn 4 years, Goldstein 4 years.  Don’t be surprised to see him jump up to a 100-105 average, but there will be high variability in the scores and a rollercoaster ride. There are better options for the Crows and ruck position to pick O’Brien as a starter

FORWARD
Lock â€" T Walker, T Lynch, L Murphy
Backups/Fringe â€" J Galluci, D Fogarty, E Himmelberg, M Poholke, T Stengle, B Crocker
Rookies â€" S McAdam, F McAsey, N McHenry, J Worrell, L Gollant

With the losses of Betts and Jenkins there are a few positions available in the crows forward line for players to step into. Walker, Lynch & Murphy are locks, while Fogarty has arguably got ones spot locked up. This leaves 2 spots open. Galluci would be expected to play, with his speed this could be anywhere from Wing to Forward.

This is where these is opportunities for the rookies, McHenry as a second small forward being in his second year in the program could be an option, but don’t expect more than 50 ppg. McAdam is a possible call, a mature aged rookie who plays reasonably small, unlikely but could jump in ahead of McHenry and Stengle, even Crocker is a shout after moving over from Collingwood. McAsey is the one I think might be the best chance of debuting R1, built to be able to step straight in and play as a tall both Forward and Back, but more likely Forward at this point, fighting with Himmelberg and Poholke as a 4rd Tall.

With a new coach, change in direction and a rejuvenation of the list, 2020 shapes up as one where the Crows will be one to look for some cash cow options, but given the fringe options that haven’t got the consistent runs in the recent years, there is opportunity for them to get the first cracks. Watch preseason and if the rookies can break through expect them to be valuable cash cows.

massive yikes, to everything lmao

LordSneeze

Bit of feedback from the Intraclub on Saturday. I spoke with someone who was at the game and got some feedback from him.

Midfield
Poholke was playing Midfield pushing forward at times . Unlikely to be in R1, but both still have a chance to jump ahead of some others. Poholke a smokey R1 debut as he has ability to swing Mid, Fwd & back.
Keays had some good moments, but is behind quite a few at this point.
Jones played 90% in midfield and was very good. He is currently as a lock to start R1.

Defense
Rookies in Def aren't at a point to be R1 starters, possible Late season debuts or if there is multiple injuries.

Forward
Stengle was good with 5 Goals and strong all around play. Himmelberg had 4 while McAdam got 3. Was advised that Stengle was likely R1 starter as second small forward & Himmelberg is currently ahead as a 4th tall. McAdam, McHenry & Gallucci are currently fighting for 1 spot.

Ruck
ROB is clearly number 1, none of the backups really showed enough. Frampton was energetic, but wasn't a starting quality ruck. Might be able to play forward as a chop out when required.