Main Menu

The 2019 Disaster

Started by TomK, August 25, 2019, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty00

Quote from: DazBurg on August 26, 2019, 08:33:36 AM
with the stocker thing i think it was more they wanted to get ahead of other teams that may of taken him
(not 100% on this but vaguely remember reading that was why they traded up)
think it was a case of whoever was more likely to do a deal so they could get stocker as he would be gone by their next pick

no that they were worried crows would take him
either way i think in hindsight has worked out well for both clubs
From memory I think Richmond was interested in Stocker so Carlton wanted to beat them to the punch. Could be wrong though.

It's good publicity and stirs up heaps of debate online, but the trade didn't really turn out to be a big deal either way. If Carlton had finished bottom and the Crows Top 4, then it would obviously have been a massive bust by SOS. Can't really judge a "winner" until we see what sort of career Stocker and this years respective picks have.

TomK

Quote from: Grazz on August 26, 2019, 03:17:19 PM
If were going to keep Pyke till his contract expires then lets let him pick his own coaches not those that Roo and others think he needs and deadwood that's been there to long now. Give the bloke a chance on his terms if he's to stay.
I somewhat agree with this, there's no doubt the blokes around Pyke are useless so it would be interesting to see how he goes with assistants that know what they're doing, but Pyke doesn't do himself any favours with selection which is a main reason why we are where we are. In saying that, if Pyke goes before Burton, Campo, and Hart, I'll be incredibly disappointed, either they all go or we give Pyke one last chance with competence around him to see if he can adapt to a rebuild.

Granted it is tough to attract quality assistant coaches to a place like Adelaide, but money talks and instead we just cheap out on blokes like Hart and Godden as last minute options and we suffer because of it.

I also think Roo's comments could actually be a blessing in disguise because there is no way they can sit on their hands and act like everything is rosy now after the backlash they've faced and all the memberships in the microwave ;D

TomK

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-08-26/club-statement

The Adelaide Football Club has commenced a review of its football operations, which takes on added significance this year given a decline in on-field performance.

The review will be conducted by a panel of external experts in their chosen field who have knowledge and experience across the various elements of football and high performance programs.

The scope of the analysis will include all elements that impact on-field performance, including but not limited to coaching, leadership, development, environment, high performance and list management.

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on August 26, 2019, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: Grazz on August 26, 2019, 03:17:19 PM
If were going to keep Pyke till his contract expires then lets let him pick his own coaches not those that Roo and others think he needs and deadwood that's been there to long now. Give the bloke a chance on his terms if he's to stay.
I somewhat agree with this, there's no doubt the blokes around Pyke are useless so it would be interesting to see how he goes with assistants that know what they're doing, but Pyke doesn't do himself any favours with selection which is a main reason why we are where we are. In saying that, if Pyke goes before Burton, Campo, and Hart, I'll be incredibly disappointed, either they all go or we give Pyke one last chance with competence around him to see if he can adapt to a rebuild.

Granted it is tough to attract quality assistant coaches to a place like Adelaide, but money talks and instead we just cheap out on blokes like Hart and Godden as last minute options and we suffer because of it.

I also think Roo's comments could actually be a blessing in disguise because there is no way they can sit on their hands and act like everything is rosy now after the backlash they've faced and all the memberships in the microwave ;D

Yeh I agree with all that again mate, I'm still not sold on Pyke either has he lost the players aswell ? if not I think he's got 2 years to go let him have the team around him he wants then successful or not we'll be in no doubt of his ability.

We seem to have become a club all about making a $, bugger off this E Sport rubbish and concentrate on footy and pay what it takes to get decent assistants. They don't fall off trees so this is problematic in itself considering the shower we're in at the minute.
We need a few now, are they even there and or available. These conversations needed to be happening earlier probably.

I agree 100% the material for the bonfire has been building and building for awhile all it took was a comment by Roo for someone to chuck a match on it and woosh up she went and that's a good thing because now it's out there.
The media will jump on to the reaction I hope and put further pressure on the club either way they've been called out now by supporters, this won't be the end of the conversation if things don't change much.

Both clubs in this State are rooted for varying reasons, this State won't sit idle while all this goes down. Both supporter bases are pissed off for different reasons and I expect both clubs to be roasted in the media and by fans over the next 6 months.

I know some people interstate can't stand us but we're a proud State when it comes to footy and what's happening now has most of the AFL footy fans up in arms about it. It won't be pleasant working at either club for awhile. I tip Port to fix their shower before us though.

Quote from: TomK on August 26, 2019, 05:05:50 PM

The Adelaide Football Club has commenced a review of its football operations, which takes on added significance this year given a decline in on-field performance.

The review will be conducted by a panel of external experts in their chosen field who have knowledge and experience across the various elements of football and high performance programs.

The scope of the analysis will include all elements that impact on-field performance, including but not limited to coaching, leadership, development, environment, high performance and list management.

Good let's see who'll be on the panel and what comes of it.

TomK

Quote from: Grazz on August 26, 2019, 05:24:02 PM

Renowned high performance expert Tim Gabbett, who has more than two decades of international experience working with athletes across a range of sports, and one of the country’s premier leadership and performance experts Jonah Oliver, who is also the lead sports psychologist for the Australian Institute of Sport, will be among those involved in the review.

Some further football specific appointments will be added to what will be a four-member panel in coming days and it is anticipated the review will take several weeks to complete.

Grazz

I don't know how you feel about Ratten Tom but I reckon the guy has a good footy brain and if Saints don't move on him
I wouldn't mind us throwing some decent coin at him to see if we can even have a conversation atleast with him about an assistants
role here and could he be persuaded to leave Vic.

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on August 26, 2019, 05:30:37 PM
Quote from: Grazz on August 26, 2019, 05:24:02 PM

Renowned high performance expert Tim Gabbett, who has more than two decades of international experience working with athletes across a range of sports, and one of the country’s premier leadership and performance experts Jonah Oliver, who is also the lead sports psychologist for the Australian Institute of Sport, will be among those involved in the review.

Some further football specific appointments will be added to what will be a four-member panel in coming days and it is anticipated the review will take several weeks to complete.

Cheers for that mate, I need to go and hunt around and see whats being said out there, I been here awhile having a whinge.

TomK

Quote from: Grazz on August 26, 2019, 05:31:36 PM
I don't know how you feel about Ratten Tom but I reckon the guy has a good footy brain and if Saints don't move on him
I wouldn't mind us throwing some decent coin at him to see if we can even have a conversation atleast with him about an assistants
role here and could he be persuaded to leave Vic.
I wouldn't be against that at all

Grazz

Another point to this Review, I'd seriously like to know sooner than later who'll be leading it
otherwise other than a couple of others it could resemble a review most clubs should perform at the
end of the season. Who is running it is important t the outcome, is it one from the boys club
overseeing it.

RaisyDaisy

Dual Adelaide premiership coach Malcolm Blight has launched an extraordinary attack on his former club, saying “this is the weakest’’ he has ever seen it.

Taking aim at the Crows’ decision to have an external review following consecutive seasons without finals, Blight said: “you can talk about coaching, you can talk about player recruitment, you can talk about list management.

“But to actually do this, to have an external review on what a lot of people are getting paid internally to actually make those decisions, I think this is the weakest I’ve seen the Adelaide Football Club.

“An external review, on a football club, on the players, no, because they are all on holidays.

“So how are they going to judge the coaching fraternity, from (senior coach) Don Pyke down?

“How are they going to judge what they do with the players, which is the business of the football club when the players aren’t there?

“It is stupid, mediocrity at its best, it is a lack of leadership.

“I’m telling you now, it is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen, and I don’t care who says what, because how can you judge a coach when the players aren’t there to see what they do?’’

One of the pre-season flag favourites after making the 2017 grand final and entering the year with a fit playing list, it finished 11th with a 10-12 record after losing seven of its last nine games.

The review could cost senior club figures, including Pyke and football manager Brett Burton their jobs.

A fired-up and angry Blight, who led the Crows to their only premierships in 1997 and 1998, went on a rant on his Sportsday SA radio program, saying any review should be kept internal and be ongoing.

“That assessment is made every week, every match committee you go there and discuss everything about the football club, the CEO, the football manager and board should all come into it,’’ he said.

Blight said the Crows were at their lowest ebb, pointing out that they’d had only two “spikes’’ in the past decade.

“That is the most disturbing thing and I’m as disappointed as anyone, that over a 10-year period, other than a couple of little blips, they go straight back down again,’’ he said.

“This is the last 10 years of Adelaide â€" 11th, 14th, third, 11th, 10th, sixth, sixth, second, 12th and 11th.

“Two years of spike in 10 is mediocre, it’s terrible. This is a mediocre football club and until someone actually grabs it by the throat and changes it, it’s going to continue.

“It was a strong football club that has gone backwards 100 miles an hour and now they call for an external review, you’re joking.’’

GoLions

TomK

Somewhat agree with Blighty, mediocre is the perfect description of the footy club, I couldn't think of a more suitable one word answer to the question. He's also right about the external review needing to have started during the season to see what's actually happening inside the four walls, but I don't agree that it shouldn't be done now because of it, it's better late than never, the people conducting the review can still interview players to get their thoughts, and what's the alternative? Wait another 10 months so it can be done during the season risking even more damage? No thank you.

TomK

So we have Dunstall and Pavlich as the other two joining the review, I am very happy with that, particularly with The Chief.

Gigantor

Quote from: TomK on August 30, 2019, 05:47:09 PM
So we have Dunstall and Pavlich as the other two joining the review, I am very happy with that, particularly with The Chief.
Eddie definitely gone, too many dribble kicks

TomK

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-09-04/in-my-own-words-taylor-walker

QuoteAs my career is coming to the back end, I feel the time is right for someone else to lead this great Club
It has been a great privilege to lead this Club for the last five years, through some great times and some very sad and challenging times.

These times have made me realise what's really important in my life - family, mateship and making the most of the time we have in the game we all love.

I have made the decision to stand down so I can focus on enjoying my footy and spending time with my family.

When Walshy come to me and said I want you to lead this group... I’ll be honest, I said no.

What a silly answer that was, because this Club means so much to me.

The role has helped me grow, mature, learn and seek to understand others’ views but most of all I’ve enjoyed the challenge of leading this Football Club.

You can’t hold a leadership position without the support of many others and my team mates, coaches, mentors and many Club staff have played a major role in shaping who I am.

The Adelaide Crows have a long and proud history and this year has been one of the toughest.

We owe it to ourselves and the fans and members to get this club back to where it belongs and that’s playing finals footy every year.

I will always be grateful to the Adelaide Football Club for this opportunity and look forward to a big 2020.
Love ya Texan, good decision, just focus on your footy