WXV Award Nominations 2019

Started by Purple 77, August 18, 2019, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Hey everyone!

So I've been super slack, and let this slip my mind.

This is the thread where we announce our Best & Fairests, Coaches Awards and discuss matters such as the Rising Star winner and Coach of the Year in preparation for the Awards Ceremony.

I'd really like your Coaches Award nominee (so a player) by say Wednesday morning, so I can send the votes out and derive a winner by the end of the week. Apologies for being so late with this!

Award Nominations

1. Coach of the Year

I'll nominate this years candidates, using last years criteria to help me out:
- If you've won more games during the regular season in 2019 than 2018, you get a nomination for coach of the year. If you had the same amount of wins, but scored more overall points you get a nomination.
- A wild card nomination if I feel that a coach has had to overcome particular adversity or done something special to deserve it.

The nominations will be announced sometime this week!

2. Coaches award

Each team can nominate a player on their team they think deserves special mention. You can use any criteria you like, it doesn't have to be the best player. Previous winners are Daniel Talia, Mark Blicavs, Matt Jaensch, Clayton Oliver and Brodie Grundy.

Tell us why they are the recipient of your Coaches Award! The more reasons you provide, the higher the chance the comp will vote your player as the WXV 2019 Coaches Award recipient.

3. Rising Star Winner

Here are your nominations! Talk your player up over the next couple of days, and decide who you'll vote for when I send out the PM!

The follow stats have been recorded over the WXV H&A season only.

NOMFull NameWXV ClubPOS1POS2SENIOR GAMESRESERVES GAMESAVERAGE
R1Willem DrewLondon RoyalsMIDFWD9070.67
R2Connor RozeeMoscow SpetsnazDEFFWD17072.41
R3Sam WalshMexico City SunsMID17091.12
R4Jack RossPacific IslandersMID4163.4
R5Jackson HatelyMexico City SunsMID4165.2
R6Josh BattleCape Town CobrasFWD9569.07
R7Tarryn ThomasRio de Janeiro JaguarsMID8764.93
R8Charlie ConstableMexico City SunsMID4380
R9Bailey SmithPNL ReindeersMID15276.88
R10Xavier DuursmaNew York RevolutionDEFMID16071.5
R11Zak ButtersDublin DestroyersMID14264.75
R12Esava RatugoleaNew York RevolutionFWD5857.69
R13Gryan MiersCape Town CobrasFWD11668.47
R14James RowbottomChristchurch SaintsMID8060.25
R15Shai BoltonMexico City SunsFWD8473.58
R16Brent DanielsChristchurch SaintsFWD11665
R17Will SetterfieldSeoul MagpiesMIDFWD21162

4. Best & Fairest

Who polled the most votes in your best & fairest? It can be any system you choose, but be sure to announce your  winner here so we can record their achievement for the ages :)

Purple 77

My coaches award would have to go to Dane Rampe

Averaging 78 last year, he jumped to an average of 98 this year and to inject some much needed quality into what was a previously name-less defense. I wouldn't have gotten to a prelim without him.

PowerBug

Can I give my coaches award to a player not on my list?

Purple 77

Quote from: PowerBug on August 18, 2019, 01:50:22 PM

Hmmm... no, a fun thought tho.

PowerBug

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 18, 2019, 01:53:26 PM

Bummer. Wanted to give it to Angus Brayshaw for having such a good 2018 season meaning he had value at the trade table :D

fanTCfool

Coaches' Award

Who else but Rowan Marshall? Brought into the club to provide some depth behind Jesse Hogan, the 'prospect' established himself as the Saints' #1 ruck and dominated week-in week-out. Marshall's season average now sits at a whopping 111.1 - a lazy 48.5ppg increase on his 2018 season. In a Toronto forward line boasting Tim Kelly, Travis Boak and Tom Hawkins, Rowan outperformed the lot, all while having played just 13 AFL games before this season. What a man.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: PowerBug on August 18, 2019, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on August 18, 2019, 01:53:26 PM

Bummer. Wanted to give it to Angus Brayshaw for having such a good 2018 season meaning he had value at the trade table :D

And Danger 2nd? :P

Jukes

Best and Fairest - Adam Treloar. Very consistent (only the one score under 80) and carried the team on his back to a finals victory with his 177. Hasn't missed a game and has put up ton after ton after ton.

Coaches Award - Levi Casboult. Hewett unlucky to miss out, but Casboult - who we drafted at pick 48 in last year's PSD - was very important in making finals for a team ravaged by injuries, requiring him to be called upon. Averaged a handy 77 - up 20 points on last year and 11 points on his career-high - and that average goes up to 84.33 over his last 12 games.

iZander

iZander

Coaches award
WTF was i thinking!!! Reilly O'Brien!!!!!

fanTCfool

Quote from: iZander on August 18, 2019, 02:48:50 PM
Coaches award
WTF was i thinking!!! Reilly O'Brien!!!!!

I'll never forget his 181 for AAP. I support this notion  :-*

RaisyDaisy

B&F: Isaac Heeney

Coaches Award: Dan Houston

Ringo

London Best and Fairest Luke Shuey

Coaches award - Dominic Sheed lifted his average from 72.6 last year to 97.7.

GoLions

Kate Coaches Award

This was a tough one, with a number of players either showing significant improvement, or surprising a bit from nowhere this year. Ben Cunnington was fantastic across the first half of the season, but dropped off over the last month or two. Jaidyn Stephenson was averaging 80+, but I wouldn't bet on him to take the award after a certain incident not too long ago. Chris Mayne was taken at N75 in the draft, and was on fire early before dropping off. Josh Battle was fantastic with a move to defence, averaging 75 minus his injury game of 4 points. And The Schlong held down R1 admirably whilst Nank was injured.

But just pipping these guys, Gryan Miers takes out Kate's Coaches Award for 2019. Traded for with N74, I expected Gryan to get a couple games here and there, and probably average around the 50 mark early on in his career, but he has averaged almost 70, holding down a spot up forward for Kate most of the year, and his finishing around goal is incredible to watch!

Koop

Compo Medal: Mark Blicavs

Coaches Medal: Sam Lloyd

- Produced his highest score of the year to drag us across the line for our only win in 2019!
- Averaged a solid 79.6 for the year.
- Averaged 87.8 from Round 6 onwards with nothing under 70.
- Solid scoring and consistency given I was fielding several OOP's and scores under 40 in the mids.