Main Menu

2019 Season - Carlton

Started by Mat0369, June 03, 2019, 01:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

I started typing this on my phone about a week ago and accidentally hit refresh and lost it all before I finished (and boy was there a lot).

So where do we all see the club at right now? 1-10 and two games clear on the bottom of the ladder is not ideal. There is a lot of pressure from external sources on Bolton as a coach even though all the messaging form the club has been they're sticking fat. Old mate Brad Scott getting the ass isn't exactly helping (although I would be severely disappointed if that is who we go with if we sack Bolts). It does feel a bit like 2012 with Ratten at the moment. The board is hitting a panic stage and the results aren't falling our way so they are likely to just make a panic move at some point rather than waiting the season and letting it play out.

Today was pretty bad, we had no ball movement, Cripps was tagged out by a nobody and the players showed no run or spread. There was one point in the 2nd quarter close to HT where Fisher had the ball on the back flank, looked up and saw a sea of Essendon players ahead of him with all the Blues not moving or hands on knees, if he went to switch half the defenders weren't even looking for the ball and were doing the same. He chipped it 15 and then had to run on and receive another 15 m chip kick. That's pretty inexcusable and just showed an unwillingness to create an option from a number of our players.

I had no idea where our goals were going to come from today, Fas and Lang aren't AFL standard, I don't want to see either of those guys play again. Cuningham has been our most dangerous small forward and he played extended midfield minutes today. The key forwards have 0 chemistry and it's even worse with McGovern in the side.

Samo struggled off HB and was learning on the fly for a position he hadn't really played, I don't know if Kennedy and Cripps can function in the same midfield and I don't know if Kennedy has been or will be the player they thought they were getting. The decision making and disposal from Paddy Dow is horrendous. Fisher is normally so clean with his disposal and has really struggled the last month as well with the turnovers.

It's like they have all hit a wall and maybe it's a combination of mental and physical right now. I didn't think we would be great this year, but I didn't expect the results from the last month. Other than the Collingwood game the others have been extremely disappointing.

Nige

Mat0369

Well this didn't take long. Bolton sacked...

This feels fricken stupid

Trindacut

Carlton need to be brave here. Go for someone like David Noble. If he came in he'd bring with him an overhaul to the footy department. Carlton clearly not developing their youth.

I just don't think that the Carlton decision makers have it in them to make that kind of brave choice. I'd actually love to see someone like Clarko or Paul Roos go there but both have ruled themselves out of the senior coach position.

Might need to start from the ground up. Board challenge, overhaul the whole footy department, invest in the youth you have and bring in a couple of Hodge-like players in something akin to player-coach roles.

Still think too that if you had Docherty out there last year and this year you wouldn't be 4 wins for 44 games, and Bolts probably wouldn't be lining up at Centrelink today.

Ringo

Quote from: Trindacut on June 04, 2019, 09:10:10 AM
Carlton need to be brave here. Go for someone like David Noble. If he came in he'd bring with him an overhaul to the footy department. Carlton clearly not developing their youth.

I just don't think that the Carlton decision makers have it in them to make that kind of brave choice. I'd actually love to see someone like Clarko or Paul Roos go there but both have ruled themselves out of the senior coach position.

Might need to start from the ground up. Board challenge, overhaul the whole footy department, invest in the youth you have and bring in a couple of Hodge-like players in something akin to player-coach roles.

Still think too that if you had Docherty out there last year and this year you wouldn't be 4 wins for 44 games, and Bolts probably wouldn't be lining up at Centrelink today.
Leave Noble alone he still has some work to do at Brisbane.
In saying that the change in the structure at Brisbane is one of the reasons why we are where we are now. The blueprint is there for Carlton to follow.

However some decisions work out and some do not and when you are in the bottom tier the bad decisions are accentuated.

fanTCfool

Bloody awesome win today! The group must gain so much belief to be able to finally snatch one of those one-goal games after all the honourable losses this year, especially to do it without the Crippa. Ed's 16 clearances as stand in captain was massive. High hopes for the match against the Dees next weekend.

jvalles69

Quote from: fanTCfool on June 30, 2019, 10:53:42 PM
Bloody awesome win today! The group must gain so much belief to be able to finally snatch one of those one-goal games after all the honourable losses this year, especially to do it without the Crippa. Ed's 16 clearances as stand in captain was massive. High hopes for the match against the Dees next weekend.

You definitely gave this West Coast Supporter a happy end to the weekend!  :P

Mat0369

Money Shot

Do any of us think we still have a chance of landing Jack Martin in either of the drafts?

I’m annoyed that we couldn’t get Papley as I think he is exactly the type of player we need. In saying that I understand that there isn’t much we could’ve done to get him as Carlton were told that it was highly unlikely that he would be leaving if Sydney couldn’t get Daniher.

Martin on the other hand I am shocked about. Pick 15 and Martin for Pick 9 seems like a no brainer for me. It makes me think that we must be confident in getting him without having to use pick 9. Does anyone else have thoughts.

Surely Melbourne would pick him up with pick 2 in the Pre Season Draft if it got to that?

GoLions

Passing on Ellis and Butler to focus on Papley and JMart, and getting none of them, is a huge flower up. Better hope you get JMart in the PSD...can't see the Dees letting him slip though.

GoLions

Quote from: Money Shot on October 17, 2019, 12:14:05 PM
Do any of us think we still have a chance of landing Jack Martin in either of the drafts?

I’m annoyed that we couldn’t get Papley as I think he is exactly the type of player we need. In saying that I understand that there isn’t much we could’ve done to get him as Carlton were told that it was highly unlikely that he would be leaving if Sydney couldn’t get Daniher.

Martin on the other hand I am shocked about. Pick 15 and Martin for Pick 9 seems like a no brainer for me. It makes me think that we must be confident in getting him without having to use pick 9. Does anyone else have thoughts.

Surely Melbourne would pick him up with pick 2 in the Pre Season Draft if it got to that?
Also fwiw apparently it was 9 and future 2nd for JMart and 15. I'd expect Bloos to jump up the ladder a bit so i reckon I'd have taken that once Papley wasn't gonna happen.

JBs-Hawks

Mat0369

Martin is overrated. He is worth a third round pick at best. I would honestly rather not even get him. Good move not budging on that ridiculous offer of a first round pick.

Missing out on Paps and Cogs are the big blows. Papley is a gun and exactly the type of player we need. Unfortunately it was only going to get done one of two ways, the Daniher deal got done (which it didn't) or we made the Swans a godfather offer which is irresponsible. Cogs signing was out of our control and it had a lot to do with the AFL giving him the Multicultural Ambassador money if he stayed at GWS. 

The others aren't game changers and probably list cloggers anyway.

Butler is terrible. He is fast but is a complete spud. Ellis probably fills a need across half back/wing but looking at what his manager has said through the trade period I'm happy we passed on him. He is also someone that has struggled to play consistent footy in a good team. No way we offer him a 5 year deal either. We just signed Newnes on as a delisted free agent so we're taking a punt there on a discount.

I think Sam Gray is still available as well. Port could delist him which will allow us to grab him for basically nothing as well. I think you give him the Fas deal of a 1 year contract with a 2nd year with triggers. Not exactly a great option but probably the equivalent to a Butler anyway with better goal sense. Ideally in a good side these guys are playing reserve footy anyway.

The one I am most disappointed about is Wines. With the reports coming out he was looking to get out of Port and the reason Carlton rejected the move is the ability to trade assets due to the Paps/Martin deals, you would think after they realised Dodoro was never going to budge they would have made the play for him.

Money Shot

Looks like we are getting Jack Martin in the draft for about 600k a year over 5 years in a heavily front-ended deal which I am pretty happy about! Happy we didn’t budge.

Also seen some mock drafts that are saying that Caleb Serong could slip to our pick which I think would be amazing! I rate him as the fourth best player in the draft behind Rowell, Anderson and Greene.

If we end up with those two I think it makes missing Papley hurt a little bit less.