Main Menu

Richmond 2019 H&A

Started by quinny88, March 21, 2019, 04:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Time to get things underway for another year. Carlton should be much improved and despite us winning every game against them since 2013 they seem to always play well against us. Excited to see Lynch in the yellow and black for the first time! Think he and Jack are going to make a great partnership up forward.

Round 1 team:

B Alex Rance, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
HB Nick Vlastuin, Bachar Houli, Jayden Short
C Dion Prestia, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin
HF Daniel Rioli, Daniel Butler, Maverick Weller
F Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch
Foll Toby Nankervis, Kane Lambert, Kamdyn McIntosh
I/C Nathan Broad, Jack Graham, Noah Balta, Jack Higgins
Emg Brandon Ellis, Oleg Markov, Connor Menadue, Ivan Soldo

New: Maverick Weller (St Kilda), Tom Lynch (Gold Coast), Noah Balta (Calder U18)

Milestones: Jack Riewoldt â€" 250 AFL Games, Alex Rance â€" 200 AFL Games

EA100

Feel like i should get a bit of a discussion going in this thread because of whats been going on. I honestly can't believe this is the run we've had with injuries in such a short time span, with so many important players going down, but thats football i guess, and it was bound to happen with the amazing run we've had with injuries.

I think what it has exposed, is the lack of depth we have in the team now (obviously it is very hard to replace all the players we've lost now). Brandon Ellis coming into the side to somehow provide another option coming out of the backline in replacement of Houli has been a complete failure. He is just too slow for the game now and his ball use doesn't even come close to making up for that, averaging the 4th most turnovers per game this year for Richmond. I think Garthwaite is too slow and is at that awkward height of 192cm where he should have a little bit of pace otherwise he has to play much taller, which is where i think Balta's athleticism would help in the backline.

Butler and Castagna are just too painful to watch. And unfortunately Weller showed in the Collingwood game why he isn't up to the standard that they need him to be at. Butler's lack of composure just makes him a complete liability going into the forward line. Between the two of them so far, they have 1 goal, 3 behinds and 2 shots for no score. One of them needs to go because it just doesn't look good when these two blokes get to run around playing terrible football and don't get punished for it. I'd hope that someone like Townsend who had a decent game in the VFL and is a much better kick on goal gets the call up for one them.

The positives so far are that we've had some players that have been impressive through the below average start we've had so far, with players like Lynch, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Stack and a few others.

I get worried about the amount of pressure that is mounting on Tom Lynch now and whether the situation they're in now forces him to play more minutes than planned or prevent him from possibly resting throughout the season now, which could affect his injury situation, but who knows.

Hopefully with the likes of Caddy, Grimes back next week helps a little bit, even tho i think we are all worried as to what is going to happen against Port Adelaide next week with both our running backman out, and our big 4 out. The good thing is hopefully by the Melbourne game, we will be back with Grimes, Caddy, Cotchin, Houli and Martin.

Personally i wouldn't say i'm worried. It's a long season and i think once we get all our players back except for Rance, we will be back to being much more competitive again, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Dudge

Quote from: EA100 on April 09, 2019, 02:13:26 AM
Feel like i should get a bit of a discussion going in this thread because of whats been going on. I honestly can't believe this is the run we've had with injuries in such a short time span, with so many important players going down, but thats football i guess, and it was bound to happen with the amazing run we've had with injuries.

I think what it has exposed, is the lack of depth we have in the team now (obviously it is very hard to replace all the players we've lost now). Brandon Ellis coming into the side to somehow provide another option coming out of the backline in replacement of Houli has been a complete failure. He is just too slow for the game now and his ball use doesn't even come close to making up for that, averaging the 4th most turnovers per game this year for Richmond. I think Garthwaite is too slow and is at that awkward height of 192cm where he should have a little bit of pace otherwise he has to play much taller, which is where i think Balta's athleticism would help in the backline.

Butler and Castagna are just too painful to watch. And unfortunately Weller showed in the Collingwood game why he isn't up to the standard that they need him to be at. Butler's lack of composure just makes him a complete liability going into the forward line. Between the two of them so far, they have 1 goal, 3 behinds and 2 shots for no score. One of them needs to go because it just doesn't look good when these two blokes get to run around playing terrible football and don't get punished for it. I'd hope that someone like Townsend who had a decent game in the VFL and is a much better kick on goal gets the call up for one them.

The positives so far are that we've had some players that have been impressive through the below average start we've had so far, with players like Lynch, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Stack and a few others.

I get worried about the amount of pressure that is mounting on Tom Lynch now and whether the situation they're in now forces him to play more minutes than planned or prevent him from possibly resting throughout the season now, which could affect his injury situation, but who knows.

Hopefully with the likes of Caddy, Grimes back next week helps a little bit, even tho i think we are all worried as to what is going to happen against Port Adelaide next week with both our running backman out, and our big 4 out. The good thing is hopefully by the Melbourne game, we will be back with Grimes, Caddy, Cotchin, Houli and Martin.

Personally i wouldn't say i'm worried. It's a long season and i think once we get all our players back except for Rance, we will be back to being much more competitive again, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember mate, Port are known for losing the unloseable

quinny88

Quote from: Dudge on April 10, 2019, 08:04:40 PM

You called it lol

Nige

Fantastic win without the big 4, one of our best in a while.

EA100

Quote from: Dudge on April 10, 2019, 08:04:40 PM

You poor bloke.

LaHug

Interesting looking back at EA's post and seeing just how good our depth has been. Ellis is back to his 2017 form and looks like a very good player. Shows that we can jump the gun a bit.

Right now, I'm still weary of games like the Bulldogs game that will happen with what's now a very young team lacking much leadership depth. But to be 6-3 with the injury run we've had is incredible!

quinny88

Quote from: LaHug on May 21, 2019, 12:49:22 PM
Interesting looking back at EA's post and seeing just how good our depth has been. Ellis is back to his 2017 form and looks like a very good player. Shows that we can jump the gun a bit.

Right now, I'm still weary of games like the Bulldogs game that will happen with what's now a very young team lacking much leadership depth. But to be 6-3 with the injury run we've had is incredible!

Especially when you consider our vfl side is 6-0 despite the fact all of their good players are playing in the AFL side. Funny that people were concerned we traded all our depth away but it's just made the younger guys even better

EA100

Quote from: quinny88 on May 22, 2019, 03:05:04 PM
Quote from: LaHug on May 21, 2019, 12:49:22 PM

Especially when you consider our vfl side is 6-0 despite the fact all of their good players are playing in the AFL side. Funny that people were concerned we traded all our depth away but it's just made the younger guys even better

Never thought i'd see Ellis turn it around that quickly.. Maybe its the decreased pressure he has knowing his spot is a bit more secure, who knows.. Obviously having a few of the boys return after the post helped as well. I think it'll be interesting to see how far the team can be taken against Geelong next week, which will be interesting.

LaHug

Yeah, Geelong is a big test. I'm more worried about how good their defence looks tbh because we like to bomb it in and lock it in... I wouldn't bet on us but I'm hopeful we can do it anyway.

In other news, can anyone make any sense of our midseason draft pick? I'd understand picking up a teenager with a 10 week injury because that's future focused. I'd also understand picking up a 27 year old if he were fit and ready to slot in for instant depth. I can't quite understand the logic of an injured 27 year old though...

Trindacut

Reckon we should have all the players wear concussion helmets to combat the little master sniper.

LaHug

Can't believe how quiet this thread is. We won the flag! We're the best team in the AFL!!!

Anyone get to the game? I was there again and loved it!

Quote from: LaHug on May 30, 2019, 09:50:15 AM
In other news, can anyone make any sense of our midseason draft pick? I'd understand picking up a teenager with a 10 week injury because that's future focused. I'd also understand picking up a 27 year old if he were fit and ready to slot in for instant depth. I can't quite understand the logic of an injured 27 year old though...

Happy to be wrong about this one :D

shaker

Quote from: LaHug on October 01, 2019, 05:19:47 PM
Can't believe how quiet this thread is. We won the flag! We're the best team in the AFL!!!

Anyone get to the game? I was there again and loved it!

Quote from: LaHug on May 30, 2019, 09:50:15 AM

Happy to be wrong about this one :D
Hey Huggy was going to post after the final but there is not much point the whole site seems like a ghost town but GO THE TIGES how good did they play wow don't think it would of mattered who they played when they play that good , and you were totally wrong about the injured 27 year old ha ha wait till he has a preseason with us , jeez we have to be a good chance to add to 2 in 3 years our VFL also saluting with Rance , Stack , Balta , Chol , Naish an many others standing up this year , looking like blue skies ahead for the Tiges  :)