Main Menu

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

Started by Mat0369, October 10, 2018, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Money Shot on October 19, 2018, 09:31:34 AM
If Polson gets a game this year I will be annoyed... worst player on our list.

Haha, so true

He is so bad - cannot understand why they keep persisting with him

Mat0369

Polson is our best pressure forward by a country mile. He really took strides in the back end of last year. The Adelaide game was probably the best of his career and if he can build on that he will have a good season

Mat0369

I'm already depressed for next season

LaHug

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 10, 2018, 11:32:13 PM

Really showerty for Doch and Carlton.

Out of curiosity, what would your thoughts be on Goddard coming out of retirement to offer some backline leadership for the Blues?

fanTCfool

Quote from: LaHug on December 11, 2018, 09:19:35 AM
Out of curiosity, what would your thoughts be on Goddard coming out of retirement to offer some backline leadership for the Blues?

I'd neck myself a second time.

Money Shot

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 10, 2018, 11:32:13 PM

I know they are different positions but I still think Barlow would be better suited.

Simpson, Newman, Williamson and Thomas are all capable of playing off half back and we would probably want to get games into them more than Goddard anyways.

Barlow would bring some good leadership and although he might not even be in our best 22 he would have to be close and would help Cripps, Murphy and Curnow with teaching our young midfield.

Obviously I’m not SOS though and he would have a much better idea than me.

Mat0369

Quote from: fanTCfool on December 11, 2018, 10:12:35 AM
I'd neck myself a second time.

This

Honestly though, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Doc provides leg speed and defensive ability which Goddard doesn't have. Thank fark we got Newman because we're going to rely on him a lot this year.

I still think teams are going to play one behind the ball with one of the wings rolling back on the bounce. Instead of that being Doc it will be Simmo/Newman/Willow

Money Shot

Plowman, Weitering, Thomas
Newman, Jones, Simpson
Dow, Kennedy , Walsh
Fisher, Curnow, SPS
McGovern, McKay, Curnow
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy

Cunningham, O’brien, Setterfield, Gibbons

Garlett, Silvanghi, Goddard 

Not fit from best 22
Marchbank
Fasolo
Lang
Pickett
Docherty

VFL
Williamson

This is how I see our best 22 come round 1.

Cunningham has been the star of the off season so far and is the perfect age to break out.
O’brien Should become a regular in our 22.
SPS is set to play more midfield minutes.
Ed Curnow to play as a small forward.
McGovern, Newman, Gibbons, Walsh, Setterfield to all debut and play a lot of games this year.

Garlett has been trialed as a half back but turned it over more than he didn’t in the practice match. I’ll take Newman, Simpson and Thomas thanks.

Williamson should become a regular after a few weeks in the VFL to get back to scratch.

I reckon we have enough talent to surprise a few people this year.

Mat0369

Looks pretty accurate although my gut says LOB and Kennedy start the year in the VFL with Polson and Silvagni getting a game round 1. The fact those two got full games with the VFL boys tells me they're fringe

crowls

how does silvagni even get a game

Money Shot

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 05, 2019, 02:04:38 AM
Looks pretty accurate although my gut says LOB and Kennedy start the year in the VFL with Polson and Silvagni getting a game round 1. The fact those two got full games with the VFL boys tells me they're fringe
I must really under rate Polson.

Quote from: crowls on March 05, 2019, 07:47:12 AM
He looked a lot better on Thursday than he has in previous seasons. I think he is only just outside our best 22 now but wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a lot of games this year.

crowls

Quote from: Money Shot on March 05, 2019, 10:42:46 AM
Quote from: Mat0369 on March 05, 2019, 02:04:38 AM
I must really under rate Polson.

Quote from: crowls on March 05, 2019, 07:47:12 AM
He looked a lot better on Thursday than he has in previous seasons. I think he is only just outside our best 22 now but wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a lot of games this year.
yeah he is no longer a dear in the headlights he is a rabbit poking his head up when it hears something.  still gets caught just a little less frequently.   

Mat0369

Polson is going to get picked as a pressure forward. Teams are rating pressure acts ahead of possession numbers and he is one that is probably our best in that area. He is still a while away from it all clicking, but he will likely line up round 1 unless he completely blows it from here.

Silvagni looked good against the Bombers and one thing you can never doubt with him is effort and a willingness to tackle. I like that he has been training with the midfield group because I think he has all the traits you want in an inside mid in this era. He needs to keep building the tank and find a way to win a bit more of the pill.