WXV Finals Week 1: Bears pass Finals Torch to Thunder at Last

Started by Purple 77, July 31, 2018, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

No one forgets the Finals Experience.

Qualifying/Elimination Finals, AFL Round 20

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                      Head-to-Head
Toronto WolvesSeoul MagpiesRogers Centre4  v  3
Beijing ThunderPacific IslandersBeijing Olympic Park1  v  6
Dublin DestroyersBerlin BrewersCrooke Park6  v  1
New Delhi TigersChristchurch SaintsTata Stadium1  v  3

Toronto v Seoul
Head-to-Head: 4 v 3
Last time they played (Round 7): Toronto Wolves (22.11.144*) def Seoul Magpies (22.11.143)
2018 Head-to-Head: 12 v 5
Purps' Takeaway: That last encounter though! The Wolves got up on its HGA that day, for a victory by 6 SC points. Seoul perhaps knows how to play against the Minor premiers? Anyone is beatable now, with the REAL Captain Danger back at the helm. Danger game for Toronto, who will be out to break the Minor Premiers curse (all of them have failed to win the premiership).
Verdict: Toronto... on HGA.

Beijing v Pacific
Head-to-Head: 1 v 6
Last time they played (Round 10): Beijing Thunder (25.8.158) def Pacific Islanders (20.11.131) 
2018 Head-to-Head: 5 v 12
Purps' Takeaway: The 'Jing got its first ever win over Pacific in a COMPREHENSIVE victory over the Islanders in Round 10. However, coming up against our highest scoring team of the 2018 H&A season, World Idolists and home of the best SC player that has scored 150+ in the last 5 games in Tom Mitchell, they face perhaps a more focused side than they did in Round 10. The Islanders have a lot more finals experience too than Beijing, whose last appearance was as the Bears in 2012!
Verdict: Pacific by 100+ SC points.

Dublin v Berlin
Head-to-Head: 6 v 1
Last time they played (Round 13): Dublin Destroyers (23.11.149) def Berlin Brewers (23.7.145)
2018 Head-to-Head: 10 v 7
Purps' Takeaway: If I could forfeit, I would. I'm as tilted about my situation as anyone about anything. ALL I flowerING NEEDED WAS FYFE + GAWN FIT FOR FINALS! Take our last clash for example - Fyfe was subbed out in that game, and really could have been the difference between a win or a loss. I mean, nevermind that Dublin has outscored me in the past 7 rounds, my only chance to go deep into this season is injured. I could go further and say Hibberd, ZJones and Viney are unavailable too, but they really don't matter. Sigh. Still, Dublin are the better team, and deserve to win. I guess I MIGHT get another opportunity in 12 months  ::)
Verdict: Dublin by 300+ SC points.

New Delhi v Christchurch
Head-to-Head: 1 v 3
Last time they played (last week): Christchurch Saints (23.11.149) def New Delhi Tigers (20.9.129) 
2018 Head-to-Head: 7 v 8
Purps' Takeaway: This game is my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Fresh from playing each other as recent as last week, these two teams will have learned plenty from each other as Christchurch roared back into form and scorched the Tigers. However, Christchurch is the one travelling this week, and New Delhi will know what to expect. Can the home crowd get the Tigers over the line?
Verdict: Christchurch, by about 10 SC points.

And don't forget reserves!

There are six teams (Tokyo, Buenos Aires, New York, Rio de Janeiro, London and Cairo) who have made Reserves finals but not the seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR 18 like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best XV to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Qualifying/Elimination Finals, AFL Round 20

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue
Windsor WarriorsLa Plata ArmadaTuanaimato International Stadium
Yuzawa YakuzaPyongyang ChollimasTokyo Olympic Stadium
Washington RebellionAlexandria HieroglyphicsMetLife Stadium
Copacabana CapuchinsImperial PrincesMaracana Stadium

meow meow

We're so immense that we go in as favourites despite being the away team.

Waite and McVeigh likely to be back this week!! Griffen a chance but he'll probably only make the emergency list.

Premiership favourites timing our run to perfection as prognosticated.

meow meow

CHRISTCHURCH SAINTS

B: Heath Shaw (C), Jarrad McVeigh, Nathan Wilson, Harris Andrews
M: Gary Ablett jnr, Luke Parker (VC), Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy
R: Sean Darcy
F: Toby McLean, Jake Stringer, Darcy Moore, Jarrad Waite
I: Tom Langdon, Conor McKenna

E: Ryan Griffen, Josh Daicos, Dale Morris

Levi434

I am very keen to sit back and enjoy some good quality finals football.

Levi434

Who messed up the voting? Only 4 members have voted but somehow the Dublin VS Berlin game has 6 votes. Whilst Beijing and Pacifc only have 2.

GoLions

JBs-Hawks

Adamant

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 01, 2018, 12:28:25 AM
Charlie cleared :)

Meanwhile has a fractured rib. Luckily his Italian replacement is going to have 30 touches.

Toga

Finals at last! It's been a long time between drinks for the 'Jing, let's give Pacific a run for their money 8)

Beijing Thunder:
D: Brandon Ellis, Tom Jonas, Jackson Thurlow, Ciaran Byrne
M: Ollie Wines (VC), Callan Ward, Dayne Zorko, Lachie Neale
R: Brodie Grundy (C)
F: Kane Lambert, Luke Breust, Josh Caddy, Taylor Walker
IC: Tom Rockliff, Bradley Hill

Emg: Mason Cox (r/f), Kane Farrell (d), Daniel Rioli (f)

Our backline. Yuk.

Holz

Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Phil Davis, Colin O'riordan
Rory Sloane, Joel Selwood, Matt Crouch (CC), Dustin Martin
Todd Goldstein (CC)
Tom Hawkins, Jack Gunston, Justin Westhoff, Jack Reiowoldt
Stephen Hill, Brett Deledio

Emg: Nick Holman (M), Majak Daw (F/R), Oscar McDonald (D)

was feeling pretty good then i remembered that Daw wasnt a defender and henry wasnt either. Sucks as both are actually playing in defence so i think of them as defenders.

MajorLazer

upthemaidens

Beijing have HGA and beat us last time we played.  Don't crack under the pressure of being favourites Beijing...

Toga

Quote from: upthemaidens on August 01, 2018, 11:17:58 PM
Beijing have HGA and beat us last time we played.  Don't crack under the pressure of being favourites Beijing...

Lots of talk from you young man ::)

upthemaidens

Quote from: Toga on August 01, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
Quote from: upthemaidens on August 01, 2018, 11:17:58 PM

Lots of talk from you young man ::)
China#1