WXV Award Nominations 2018

Started by Purple 77, July 30, 2018, 08:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Hey everyone  8)

This is the thread where we announce our Best & Fairests, Coaches Awards and discuss matters such as the Rising Star winner and Coach of the Year in preparation for the Awards Ceremony, which just gets bigger every year!

I'd really like your Coaches Award nominee (so a player) by the start of Saturday this week, so I can send the votes out early for once and I can tally them in time for the Awards Night. Apologies to those in finals and still undecided  :-X

Award Nominations

1. Coach of the Year

I'll nominate this years candidates, using last years criteria to help me out:
- If you've won more games during the regular season in 2018 than 2017, you get a nomination for coach of the year. If you had the same amount of wins, but scored more overall points you get a nomination.
- A wild card nomination if I feel that a coach has had to overcome particular adversity or done something special to deserve it.

The nominations will be announced sometime this week!

2. Coaches award

Each team can nominate a player on their team they think deserves special mention. You can use any criteria you like, it doesn't have to be the best player. Previous winners are Daniel Talia, Mark Blicavs & Matt Jaensch for example. And Clarry  :-*.

Tell us why they are the recipient of your Coaches Award! The more reasons you provide, the higher the chance the comp will vote your player as the WXV 2018 Coaches Award recipient.

3. Rising Star Winner

Here are your nominations! Talk your player up over the next week or so, and decide who you'll vote for when I send out the PM!

NOMFull NameWXV ClubPOS1POS2SENIOR GAMESRESERVES GAMESAVERAGE
R1Riley BonnerBuenos Aires Armadillos DEF 151 65.00
R2Tom DoedeeBuenos Aires Armadillos DEF 151 82.94
R3Sam MurrayNew Delhi Tigers DEF 83 70.45
R4Alex WitherdenToronto Wolves DEF 170 87.94
R5Jaidyn StephensonCape Town Cobras MID FWD 125 63.41
R6Harry MorrisonNew Delhi Tigers DEF 410 61.29
R7Jack GrahamMexico City Suns MID 111 63.83
R8Ben RonkeBerlin Brewers FWD 93 69.17
R9Oliver FlorentBuenos Aires Armadillos FWD 116 64.71
R10Jack HenryDublin Destroyers FWD 610 64.25
R11Cameron RaynerBuenos Aires Armadillos MID FWD 143 61.65
R12Adam CerraBuenos Aires Armadillos MID 151 65.75
R13Jack HigginsLondon Royals MID FWD 121 74.38
R14Will BrodiePNL Reindeers MID 51 71.50
R15Bailey BanfieldMoscow Spetsnaz MID 134 64.71
R16Harry McKayBerlin Brewers FWD 45 59.89
R17Paddy DowBuenos Aires Armadillos MID 160 56.81

4. Best & Fairest

Who polled the most votes in your best & fairest? It can be any system you choose, but be sure to announce your  winner here so we can record their achievement for the ages :)

Purple 77

You'd wanna hope Buenos Aires gets the Rising Star award, with 6 to choose from  :o

Purple 77

Clear choice for my Coaches Award!

Ben Ronke

Turning 21 in December, Ben Ronke - the last player on my list drafted at 2017 Rookie Pick 29 - CAME FROM THE CLOUDS and rescued me mid-year against London, where I had to play him out of necessity for his WXVs debut match. He kicked 7 goals that day - winning the Rising Star Nomination - and continued to play 8 of the next 9 games for me in the forward line at a semi-respectable average of 69.

Ringo

London's Best and Fairest

Callum Sinclair -  Surprise winner but apart from a couple of games was consistent scorer for the year.
Luke Shuey runner up.

GoLions

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 30, 2018, 08:19:40 PM
You'd wanna hope Buenos Aires gets the Rising Star award, with 6 to choose from  :o
Nope.

iZander

Coachs award
Unlike last year i had to think about this one, it was a tough choice between Tom Doedee and Jimmy Webster. Ive decided to go with Jimmy Webster , averaging 104 up until his groin injury, was a complete surprise to see him go to the next level this year.

Nige

There were plenty of choices here, but honestly, the one bloke who genuinely deserves our coaches award nomination is Tom Stewart.

Lifted his average from 67 to 91 (if you take out the 18 from last week when he got injured in Q1). Absolute staple of the Cairo back line now. Not bad for a bloke taken with Pick 46 in the 2016 ND.

Honourable mention to 2018 new recruit David Zaharakis and the stud muffin that is Dawson "unreliable co-captain" Simpson.

Toga

Came down to two for us at Beijing, but one man stood out.

Beijing's nomination for the 2018 coaches award: Brodie Grundy

Boring you might say? Predictable? How could he not win it, lifting his already respectable career-best average of 97 by almost 30 freakin' points to average a huge 126 points per game! Brodes found another level this year by 29ppg becoming the third highest-averaging player in the game after being the fourth highest averaging ruck last year. Want more? Ok: our captain almighty scored 100+ in 15/18 games this year with a low score of 95 in round 1, and 14/15 of those hundreds were 110+. What a guy.

Tommy Jonas - kudos for coming from nowhere to save our under-siege backline lifting his average from 70 to a very respectable 90 points per game this year. Might've had the coaches award in the bag had he not have missed a few games with injury.

meow meow

Even though our season is still alive, we have one man who is so far ahead in the B&F that he cannot be caught even if we play a further 4 matches. Congratulations, 3-time club champion TOM BOYD!

For the coaches award it has to go to a man who has carried a heavy load this season, due to others in his position dropping like flies. Congratulations to our rock in the ruck TOM BOYD!

RaisyDaisy

Jed Anderson gets the nomination for New York's coaches award

He somehow was still available when our Pick 66 came around, and it was a no brainer. Since Round 4 he has averaged 88 (minus the concussion game he scored 6) and has been a staple of the NY forward line, but more importantly our future

GoLions

I'll nominate Ben Griffiths, for finally realising that AFL is not the sport for him.

meow meow

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 30, 2018, 11:14:56 PM
Jed Anderson gets the nomination for New York's coaches award

He somehow was still available when our Pick 66 came around, and it was a no brainer. Since Round 4 he has averaged 88 (minus the concussion game he scored 6) and has been a staple of the NY forward line, but more importantly our future

Compo

Ringo

Royals was a choice in two and we have selected Darcy Gardiner

Will be a surprising choice but "Dizzy" has been rock solid in defence for the Royals this year. He has increased his scoring from 54ppg to 74ppg and has proven to be one of the first selected in our defensive line. "Dizzy" has become a team player this year and puts his body regularly on the line for the team and is not afraid to take on the number one forward. Will lead the defence for a few more years yet.

Holz

Dublin Coaches Award is tough, half my team pretty much under peformed and half the team where amazing with guys like Hoff Hawkins Holman all going really well.

However my coaches award is Phil Davis

I brought him in as a spud cover, if the worse happend and i needed a body instead of an OOP. Well the worst did happen however I no longer had a spud but an actual starter quality defender, so much so that he is now my D3 entering the finals and I have plenty of cover on the bench now.

Boomz

Coaches award is a tough one to pick out of my personal favourite and Tokyo draftee Tom Phillips or off-season pick up Jayden Short (Dunkley made a late charge too).

I'll go with Jayden Short because without him my def would have fallen apart with the outs of Williams and Gleeson for the year and his jump in average from 58 to 85 (with 8 90+ scores) is exactly what I was hoping for when I picked him up.