WXV Round 17: London's very own thread

Started by Purple 77, July 25, 2018, 06:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Last round of the Home & Away season :D  :'(

And what better way to send off the Home & Away season with #ClusterClash05!

Round 17, AFL Round 19

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Seoul MagpiesDublin DestroyersSeoul World Cup Stadium, EurAsia2  v  5
Christchurch SaintsNew Delhi TigersAMI Stadium2  v  1
Berlin BrewersPacific IslandersBerlin Olympic Stadium3  v  3
PNL ReindeersCairo SandsStade du Ray3  v  3
Beijing ThunderCape Town CobrasBeijing Olympic Park3  v  3
New York RevolutionToronto WolvesMetLife Stadium, AAP Alliance, Americas1  v  5
Tokyo SamuraiMexico City SunsTokyo Olympic Stadium1  v  5
Rio de Janeiro JaguarsBuenos Aires ArmadillosMaracana Stadium, AAP Alliance, Americas, Rhythm (South America) Cup3  v  0
Moscow SpetsnazLondon RoyalsLuzhniki Stadium, EurAsia, Europe3  v  3

Pretty clear to me, that this is MY MATCH OF THE ROUND! The last round of the year; 4th v 5th; both 11-5 and looking to grab a top 4 spot. The winner is very likely to do so and really, that could determine whether they win or lose the premiership! The Destroyers have been the highest scoring team of the past month and have officially timed their season to perfection - amazingly being able to sneak into the 4 last week after just perhaps a month ago they were no guarantee to actually make the finals! The Magpies have looked a much fiercer unit and more reminiscent to their 2017 selves with Dangerfield starting to fire as they too look primed for finals. Who wins? Well... I'm actually starting to think Dublin won't lose another game this year. So Dublin for me.

The Saints will tell you that being the 4th lowest scorer of the past month is all part of the master plan to win the premiership - and if a huge host of players do indeed come back in this week - we might pretend like we believe him. Sitting 8th and a game clear of 9th on the ladder, but with an inferior percentage, the Saints would just be thanking their lucky stars (whom in fact have all been unlucky with injury this year) that New York have to face a minor premiership seeking Toronto. The Tigers let a crucial game slip against the Samurai last week; officially dropping out of the 4 at such a delicate time, and would be against the odds to reclaim the spot this week. Still, a win here and they'll finish 5th, and likely have a home final against... well, Christchurch, if they win. I'm gonna say Tigers... for this week, at least.

Whilst we are talking about teams timing their run well towards finals, the Brewers are doing the absolute opposite, and look destined to whimper out of an elimination final without Fyfe and... well, it doesn't really matter who else. This game is just so god damn relentless. The Islanders are gonna finish 3rd either way, and with an always hard fought World Idol crown next to their name... can they just give me a break? I have a feeling they won't. Islanders for me.

The Reindeers! They're really starting to make a habit out of mid-season turnarounds, the challenge for them next year is to not have to! Having scored the 10th most points in the last month, the Reindeers have a new found competitiveness that I'm sure they'll look forward to bringing to next year. But they'll need outside help to do it. But can HelloBurg pull the necessary trade triggers to do so? The Sands have also had a redeeming past month - scoring the 8th most points in that time - as they will look back on a season wondering how the hell they only managed 7-8 wins. With Dawson Simpson at the helm though, I can't seem them losing, ever. Sands for me.

The 'Jing got a pretty decent win over the Suns last week, but really needed to score 150+ to keep the pressure on Toronto for the minor premiership crown. It would simply be amazing if Beijing could finish the year atop of the ladder, but to do so, they'll have to mimic their performance from 3 weeks ago and score deep into the late 160s, and hope for a poor opponent score. Well, they might keep help with that, as they come up against the 2018 Wooden Spooners in Cape Town. They really had to fight for it too, consistently losing matches they had every right in winning despite scoring more points in the season than the 4 teams above them on the ladder. Hey, at least they'll get an extra pick in the draft, and those suckers won't! Beijing for me.

It's do or die for the Revolution this week, and they'll have to beat the minor premiership seeking Toronto to make finals. So far this year, had New York and Toronto played each week, the Revolution would have only gotten up in Rounds 7 and 12, where they scored their two highest scores of the year, 159 and 149 respectively. That's the goal here, to score 150+, and if they do it... a fairy tale might unfold! The Wolves though have put together a remarkable Home and Away season and really are deserving of the minor premiership. But do they really want it? In EVERY SINGLE SEASON in our history, the minor premiership has not won the real premiership. Crazy. To really feel deserving though, they'll want to outscore Pacific by 40 SC points this week to end the season as the highest scoring team, and I think they'll do it. Toronto for me.

The Samurai continue to fascinate me. That win against New Delhi was fantastic! With centuries from its defence, midfield and forward line, the Samurai showed off a genuine core of players that they can build from next year and beyond, and I sincerely hope they do. It would be a real welcome change to the top 8 scene. The Suns, well, it's safe to say they had the season they were destined to eventually have when they drafted their team of golden oldies in 2012. The second year without finals was certainly its worst in its history, but with several future stars revealing themselves this year, it might not be long until we again see them at the pointy end of the season. For now, Tokyo for me, and to seal a deserving 10th spot on the ladder.

My perception of the Jags this year is that they've just been really inconsistent. The signs of the Jags of old are still there - but just not week in, week out like they were in that glorious 2016 season. It was always going to be a development year for Rio, whose highlight though would be defeating Dublin back in Round 4. The Dillos year I reckon would have to be up there for one of the most exciting years from a bottom 6 team ever. To win 5 games with a team essentially full of baby-faced stars - minus a ruck - is actually a huge effort, because this year is their 'floor'. They won't do worse than this year with that list. Chuck in a ruck, and dare I say they could even make finals next year on natural improvement alone! And I'm keen to see it! For now, I'll tip the Jags.

There's always one team whose misfortune stands out from the rest, and once again I feel like that is Moscow; the team that can't get its stars on the park. We saw what they could do when they do in fact get on the park (minus Docherty) in Rounds 10 and 11, where they flowering took out Toronto! I really, really hope that 2019 will be a long-term injury free year for Moscow, so that we can see just how far into the pointy end of the season they can get. And last, but certainly not least, is London. You could say I dedicated the thread title in an effort to appreciate our team of Gentlemen. Or to acknowledge they're special place in our wonderful comp. Or you might even say, that I've mentioned every other team in the thread titles at least once by now. Nonetheless, this season marked another year of being 'not quite there yet' from London. With a good enough core of 6-7 pillars already in its team, and shrewd and active trade period could see London back up to where it belongs; in the top rungs of the ladder. Like Tokyo, it would be a welcome change to the top 8 scene, and I'll back you in to do it. But for now, I'll tip Moscow to get some much deserved respectability on its win/loss ledger.

Ringo

gee I am honoured  ;)

maybe a few back this week to help.

meow meow

PREMIERSHIP FAVOURITES

B: Shaw, Wilson, Andrews, Langdon
M: Ablett (c), Parker (vc), Murphy, Gibbs
R: Sandilands
F: Stringer, McLean, Moore, Daicos
I: Boyd, Darcy

E: Griffen, McKenna, Cox

iZander

Buenos Aires Armadillos

Team Format: Attack

D: Nicholas Coffield, Jamie MacMillan, Mitch W Brown
M: Ed Curnow, Trent Dumont, Andrew Brayshaw, Darcy Parish
R: Paddy Dow
F: Cale Hooker, Shane Edwards, Jy Simpkin, Cameron Rayner, Oliver Florent
U: Jarrod Berry, Adam Cerra
E: Chris Masten, Shaun Atley, Mark Lecras

C: Ed Curnow
VC: Adam Cerra
RP:
NR:

Toga

Beijing Thunder:
D: Tom Jonas, Brandon Ellis, Marcus Adams
M: Oliver Wines (VC), Dayne Zorko, Lachie Neale, Callan Ward
R: Brodie Grundy (C)
F: Kane Lambert, Josh Caddy, Luke Breust, Taylor Walker, Daniel Rioli
IC: Tom Rockliff, Bradley Hill

Emg: Mason Cox (r/f), Nathan Broad (d), Matt Guelfi (f)

Attacking.

Purple 77

A reminder that you can't rest players for finals!

Or use an alternate team format for finals. So may as well use them now :) I'm the only that's used all 5, so everyone else should be good to go

Purple 77

GoLions

The Priority Pickers

showertard, Lmac, Carlisle, Bowes
Duncan (C), Cunnington, Touk (VC), Ebert
Nank
Papley, Squizz, ANB, Ainsworth
Blicavs, Stepho

Venagoat, O'Rourke, Schofield

meow meow

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 25, 2018, 08:40:43 PM
A reminder that you can't rest players for finals!

Or use an alternate team format for finals. So may as well use them now :) I'm the only that's used all 5, so everyone else should be good to go

Quote from: meow meow on July 25, 2018, 08:03:07 PM
PREMIERSHIP FAVOURITES

Stretching!!!

B: Shaw, Wilson, Andrews, Langdon
M: Ablett (c), Parker (vc), Murphy, Gibbs
R: Sandilands, Darcy
F: Stringer, McLean, Moore
I: Boyd,  Daicos

E: Griffen, McKenna, Cox

Nige

Dawson Simpson and friends

Dawson Simpson (c)

DazBurg

PNL Reindeers

Team Format: Traditional

D: Luke Ryan, Dougal Howard, Jarrod Harbrow, Tommy Sheridan
M: Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel, Matthew Kennedy, Will Brodie
R: Matthew Lobbe
F: Mitch Wallis, Chad Wingard, Jack Billings, Hayden Crozier
U: Paul Seedsman, Hunter Clark
E: Marley Williams, Levi Casboult, Darcy Cameron

C: Zach Merrett
VC: Luke Ryan

Torpedo10

MOSCOW
Engaging: Flood

D: Crisp, Burton, Scharenberg, Jones, Astbury
M: Coniglio (VC), Heppell (C), Grigg, Sinclair
R: Jacobs
F: Acres, SPS, Watts
I: Hewett, Banfield

E: Kelly, Graham, Ainsworth

upthemaidens

Would be nice to get a few players back this week so they're cherry ripe for finals. 

JBs-Hawks

Seoul

Def: Tuohy, Haynes, Salem, Marchbank

Mid: Dangerfield (C), Kelly (R)(VC), Oliver, Swallow

Ruck: Ceglar

Fwd: Greene, Curnow, Daniel, Parfitt

Int: Shiels, Smith

Emg: Weller, Thomas, OBrien

RaisyDaisy

Just read that Port will be naming Ryder and Frampton as back up just in case

If Ryder gets up and we avoid oop I'm giving us a sneaky chance!

Watch out Ada! :)