Main Menu

Concussion.

Started by anchorman, July 20, 2018, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchorman

Are some of the AFL club TTP out of the AFLs ruling on concussions?
Last week a club had two players go down like they were run over by Mack trucks. Both left the ground for what seemed like concussion tests.Both reappeared. One is a renowned tough man who the critics and commentators tell us is just too tough for his own good.Bashed and battered yet to the laughter of the experts he is lauded for his toughness.Tough or silly?
The other fella is tough as well, he was smashed in an after the ball incident.Was staggered, staggering, Helped off the ground. But lo and behold both reappear to see out the game.
Lat week at Optus stadium, Robbie Gray was with in one inch of his life when brutally tackled by Ryan Nyhuis. He was taken from the ground on the golf buggy.I have no doubt he was badly hurt , even concussed, but guess what.He is feeling so good after his smashing that he is fit enough to play this weekend.
I know all clubs are supposed to play within these AFL rules, but we all know that most of them don't.Is it time for the AFL to say, if you are concussed, you have to miss a week or two.
It is only a matter of time before the AFL and the clubs will be bitten very severely on the back sides and listen tothem scream when it happens.
It is a serious issue and should be treated that way.

jvalles69

It's compulsory over here for WA amateur football.  Should be in AFL, wait till players come back and sue the club for duty of care and negligence.

Trindacut

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 22, 2018, 11:31:57 AM
It's compulsory over here for WA amateur football.  Should be in AFL, wait till players come back and sue the club for duty of care and negligence.

They already kind of are. Been a few past players sueing over concussion ruining their careers.

Ziplock

I dont know how I didnt see this before.

http://www.afl.com.au/afleducation/concussion

Basically, for AFL you shouldn't return in the same day and need doctor clearance before you you can come back to training/ sport. Tbh, that's probably not good enough though. Last year I did some research on concussions with USYD for the NRL and their policy is basically a full week off before full contact (how well adhered to in even the semi-professional or junior elites is more dubious though). Concussion impacts can last for weeks and frankly players can underreport symptoms to get back to play asap. IMO it should be a minimum 10 days off from full contact.

GoLions

Quote from: Ziplock on November 06, 2018, 09:45:19 PM

Basically, for AFL you shouldn't return in the same day and need doctor clearance before you you can come back to training/ sport. Tbh, that's probably not good enough though. Last year I did some research on concussions with USYD for the NRL and their policy is basically a full week off before full contact (how well adhered to in even the semi-professional or junior elites is more dubious though). Concussion impacts can last for weeks and frankly players can underreport symptoms to get back to play asap. IMO it should be a minimum 10 days off from full contact.
The day after the Iggs/Pies GF, I copped a cricket ball to the head at training and got concussed. First couple hours involved almost all of those symptoms mentioned in that link. Over the next few days I still had trouble staying awake, and the headaches and nausea lasted even longer. Had to go to the hospital a couple times. Last Wednesday (~4 weeks since the incident) was my first training session since it happened. Took me about 3 weeks to fully recover, and you still need to wait another week on top of that before returning to any physical activity. I didn't even get knocked out though. Every hit is different, but any player who gets concussed or knocked out should not be able to play for at least 1-2 weeks. Sooner or later it's gonna come back to bite someone in the ass.

Ringo

Every case of concussion is different depending on point of impact and I think this is argument used in some cases.

However I am of the belief that laws in contact sports need tightening up as I can forsee more challenges legally coming up. At the very least any player who leaves the field for concussion should not be able to return even if the pass the "test" as there could be delayed on set.

elephants

I know there is a fair bit of Hollywood thrown on that movie but Concussion with Will Smith is worth a watch. Years of not taking concussion seriously haunting the NFL

LF

Over here juniors and youths who get concussion are not allowed to play the next week and even after that they need medical clearance to be allowed to play after that week off.
I would assume it’s the same for the other states as well
So it is getting managed a bit better at the junior and youth level than the AFL level.

Ziplock

Quote from: LF on November 07, 2018, 02:08:21 PM
Over here juniors and youths who get concussion are not allowed to play the next week and even after that they need medical clearance to be allowed to play after that week off.
So it is getting managed a bit better at the junior and youth level than the AFL level.

Im not sure about the afl, but I did some research with elite juniors in another football code and about 10-15% of diagnosed  players were put back on the field in that game. It's  still really poorly managed.

LF

Quote from: Ziplock on November 07, 2018, 10:41:09 PM
Quote from: LF on November 07, 2018, 02:08:21 PM

Im not sure about the afl, but I did some research with elite juniors in another football code and about 10-15% of diagnosed  players were put back on the field in that game. It's  still really poorly managed.

Yeah this is AFL and it’s quite strict in our district and particularly our club,one of my older sons team mates got concussed and he had his week off then tried to play the following week but hadn’t got his clearance from his doctor so wasn’t allowed to,in the end it was 3 games he missed before he was cleared.
Can’t comment about the other sports my daughter plays netball would assume they wouldn’t be allowed back on the court but I wouldn’t allow her myself anyway if she was concussed be straight off to the doctors with her.
The parents should have a responsibility themselves to say sorry no my son/daughter isn’t going back on field I’m taking them now to get them checked.

Ziplock

Quote from: GoLions on November 06, 2018, 10:10:47 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 06, 2018, 09:45:19 PM

The day after the Iggs/Pies GF, I copped a cricket ball to the head at training and got concussed. First couple hours involved almost all of those symptoms mentioned in that link. Over the next few days I still had trouble staying awake, and the headaches and nausea lasted even longer. Had to go to the hospital a couple times. Last Wednesday (~4 weeks since the incident) was my first training session since it happened. Took me about 3 weeks to fully recover, and you still need to wait another week on top of that before returning to any physical activity. I didn't even get knocked out though. Every hit is different, but any player who gets concussed or knocked out should not be able to play for at least 1-2 weeks. Sooner or later it's gonna come back to bite someone in the ass.

I meant to respond to this before- yeah, part of the issue with some concussions is that they're delayed and symptoms won't necessarily be shown straight away. As a precaution if someone gets cracked in the head they should probably sit out. I got concussed in AFL training in 2017 and it flowered me up for weeks.