Main Menu

2018 list... looking ahead to 2019

Started by enzedder, July 15, 2018, 01:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enzedder

Senior List
1. Hickey -  Clear #1 ruck again. Versatile, athletic, can go fwd...27 years old and 76 games behind him now. Has plenty to offer.
2. Carlisle - Arguably our best player. Great defender who can switch forward.
3. Steven - Our best mid by a long way. Always gives 100%. Matchwinner on his day.
4. Gresham - Had a breakout year. Pure quality. Dangerous fwd who can rotate through the middle. Rarely beaten in 1:1s.
5. Savage - Good outside user. Lock at half back.
6. Ross - 2017 B&F winner. Works hard and averaging nearly 30 possies a game again this year.
7. Dunstan - Solid and servicable inside mid. Played 82 games now.
8. Acres - Continues to impress. Signed until 2020. A massive part of our future plans.
9. Steele - Has been awesome for us since he arrived at the club. Adds plenty.
10.Freeman - Still waiting for his debut. Will be out of contract at year's end but I'm hopeful he'll finally get his chance and show what he can do on the big stage. Must be close. Certainly worth persisting with IMO.
11. Clark - had a great first season. Has some skills and tough at the ball. Big future ahead.
13. Lonie - Small competitive fwd. We have a few who can perform the role...depth player/ tradebait.
14. Geary - Captain. Reads the game well, rarely beaten defensively.
15. Billings - Classy. Awesome frontrunner. Hopefully we can win more often for him in the future.
16. Newnes - Serviceable. Best suited to half back but has shown a bit when thrown fwd this year. Tradebait, has some value but we've got plenty of his type.
17. Roberton - One of our best. Gun. Have missed him this year. Hope he bounces back to full health and plays week in week out again.
18. Longer - Tradebait. Not as versatile as Hickey and Marshall. Thanks for your service. No contract renewal which is up at season's end for mine.
19. Gilbert - See you possum. Goneski. No contract renewal for you either.... traded for steak knives anyone....
20. Armitage - Contracted for 2019. Starting to find form again. Strong midfielder but with Dempster, Steele, Ross and the younger brigade including Clark coming through, he'll need to work hard to be in our best 22 going fwd. No longer an automatic selection.
21. Long - Only played 11 games but has shown real speed and class. Exciting type who I'd love to see more of.
22. Brown - Been serviceable and reliable but reckon his time is up.
23. Goddard - 0 games again this year. Not sure of his future. Contract expires this year I think. Maybe rookie list him. 9 games in 4 years has been disappointing, but it's the injuries that have cruelled him. Similar to Freeman, worth persisting with for 1 more year.
24. Austin - Brown's relacement. Overtaken Goddard. Looks a great addition for us.
25. Stevens - 2 games this year to date. Concussion has wrecked him. I fear at 27 he is cooked.
26. Battle - Wow! I love this kid. Contests and contests again. Signed up for 2020.
27. Bruce - Is signed up for 2020 as well. Sadly not been sighted since R3 this year. Fwd line is better with him in it.
28. Membrey - Glad he has found his kicking boots again. Best 22 player. Key part of our attack.
29. Webster - Arguably our best player in 2018. Might surprise a few but I'm happy for him to be tradebait. Has value as a playmaking half back. We need silky mids though... have others that can play his half back role (Roberton, Savage and even Newnes plus with Coffield, Clark, Rice, McKenzie and Austin all on the rise he isn't essential stock).
30. Phillips - Great debut, played 6 games to date. Shows promise.
31. White - Played another handful of games this year, still on the chopping block/Trade bait. Depth player. Does have a contract for 2019.
32. McCartin - Has moments. Waiting.Waiting.Waiting.
33. Coffield - good debut year. Will need time, but looks composed and a good user of the ball.
34. Wright - Played 35 games since 2013 debut, including 2 this year. Depth player who looks gone at year's end unless he finishes strong.
35. Sinclair - Classy mid. Can break lines. Averages around 20possies... wish it was closer to 30.
36. McKenzie - Has always shown potential, 4 consecutive good showings... needs to go on with it now. Played 28 games and has a future I think.
37. Rice - Looks a chip off the old block. I remember his old man well and young Bailey looks a 200 game player too. Like what I've seen.
38. Clavarino - 0 games ?
41. Minchington - 0 games in 2018, No future contract. Clear trade bait. Lots of small forwards on the list... Long, Gresh, Billings, Lonie, Weller... I like Minch, think he could be a great pick up for another club and would be happy for us to keep him but we don't really need him/ his type.
44. Weller - Battler. Serviceable. Depth player. 11 games to date this year.
45. Paton - 0 games ?

Rookies
39. Joyce - Played two games to date including a -3 whole game SC effort v Port R16. So may need more time.
40. Connellan - yet to debut. International rookie... speedy.... project player.
42. Pierce - 0 games, is contracted still for 2019 I believe.
43. Marshall - Played 7 games and counting in 2018... including a huge game in R17 v Carlton. Very promising. Turns 24 in Nov.
46. Langlands -0 games ?

enzedder

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-18/stick-or-twist-your-clubs-over30s

"The list has been shown up as not having enough A-graders, so moves need to be made in the off-season to bring in more elite talent. On the other hand, losing Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna at the end of last year left a large leadership void.

David Armitage
Contracted until the end of 2019, and the 30-year-old has been much improved since returning from a stint in the VFL as he battled hamstring tendinitis. STAY

Jarryn Geary
At 30, Geary is one of the best players at the Saints and is contracted until the end of 2019, so the skipper isn't going anywhere. STAY

Sam Gilbert
The 31-year-old is maligned but still in the best 22, with Bailey Rice and Brandon White yet to cement a spot in the senior side. Furthermore, Gilbert doesn't seem to have lost any of his speed. STAY"

- Dinny Navaratnam

Rice is ready as cement.
Gilbert's problem has never been speed. It's been consistency, being clean and decision making. I know he is versatile but I reckpn we are okay in all areas of his versatility. He has been a wonderful servant of the club having played over 200 games but he isn't in our best 22, is our oldest player and needs to go.

Shop around/ Tradebait/ Keep - Webster, Newnes, Longer, Minchington

Delist -Lonie, Gilbert, Brown, Wright

Questionable/ Wouldn't argue if they were delisted - Stevens, Goddard

EDIT: Retired - Stevens

enzedder

enzedder

With Brown re-signed maybe it's curtains for Goddard.
I know Brown frees up Carlisle and by extension Roberton when he's playing but at 2 kicks a game with no versatility or run he's really not worth keeping on the list FFS.

nrich102

Freeman delisted  :o Seems a bit harsh to me

enzedder

Bill Manspeaker

enzedder

Nathan Wright and Goddard have been added to the exit list with Freeman and Connellan.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-29/defender-forward-join-st-kilda-exodus

Not disappointed with the latest news but Freeman was a surprise. He was recruited for his pace and in a team with many strong, slowish inside mids there was a place for him. Has he totally lost his run now as a result of his injuries? I don't know as I didn't see him play. Hope the club knows what they're doing. I know that we need to turn over the list but the Freezer decision seems odd to me.

crowls

enzedder

Quote from: enzedder on July 15, 2018, 01:07:47 PM
Senior List
10.Freeman - Still waiting for his debut. Will be out of contract at year's end but I'm hopeful he'll finally get his chance and show what he can do on the big stage. Must be close. Certainly worth persisting with IMO.
19. Gilbert - See you possum. Goneski. No contract renewal for you either.... traded for steak knives.
23. Goddard - 0 games again this year. Not sure of his future. Contract expires this year I think. Maybe rookie list him. 9 games in 4 years has been disappointing, but it's the injuries that have cruelled him. Similar to Freeman, worth persisting with for 1 more year.
25. Stevens - 2 games this year to date. Concussion has wrecked him. I fear at 27 he is cooked.
34. Wright - Played 35 games since 2013 debut, including 2 this year. Depth player who looks gone at year's end unless he finishes strong.
41. Minchington - 0 games in 2018, No future contract. Clear trade bait. Lots of small forwards on the list... Long, Gresh, Billings, Lonie, Weller... I like Minch, think he could be a great pick up for another club and would be happy for us to keep him but we don't really need him/ his type.

Rookies
40. Connellan - yet to debut. International rookie... speedy.... project player.
The 7 gone... so far.

enzedder

Out: Stevens, Goddard, Wright, Minchington, Gilbert, Freeman, Connellan, Hickey
In: Hannebery, Kent...

Was disappointed with what we got for Hickey but after watching St.Kilda v ESS, HAW & NM R21-23 over the last two days and paying particular attention to Lewis Pierce and Rowan Marshall I not too bothered anymore.
Lots to like on that front. None of Belly, McEvoy or Goldy really got a hold of us.
Combined with how we fared in the Hanners trade I’m now happy with what we’ve done.

Bit of speculation around that we are going to get Max King with #4
Not sure about that to be honest given we have Membrey, Bruce, McCartin, Battle, Marshall who are all capable of playing tall target roles up forward but we’ll see...
Highlight footage v Oakleigh and errant kicking for goal shows he’d fit right in lol.
Check it out...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjh5sj-8v_dAhVW7WEKHahyCHIQwqsBCA0wAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBRzB8VJhzfk&usg=AOvVaw1o7iTlq_MJGj_qNJ8tfjcN

Pkbaldy

Quote from: enzedder on October 12, 2018, 02:41:45 PM

Was disappointed with what we got for Hickey but after watching St.Kilda v ESS, HAW & NM R21-23 over the last two days and paying particular attention to Lewis Pierce and Rowan Marshall I not too bothered anymore.
Lots to like on that front. None of Belly, McEvoy or Goldy really got a hold of us.
Combined with how we fared in the Hanners trade I’m now happy with what we’ve done.

Not sure about that to be honest given we have Membrey, Bruce, McCartin, Battle, Marshall who are all capable of playing tall target roles up forward but we’ll see...
Highlight footage v Oakleigh and errant kicking for goal shows he’d fit right in lol.
Check it out...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjh5sj-8v_dAhVW7WEKHahyCHIQwqsBCA0wAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBRzB8VJhzfk&usg=AOvVaw1o7iTlq_MJGj_qNJ8tfjcN

Upgrade on every single one of those fellas you just named, except for Membrey.

enzedder

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 12, 2018, 05:29:11 PM
Quote from: enzedder on October 12, 2018, 02:41:45 PM

Check it out...

Upgrade on every single one of those fellas you just named, except for Membrey.
Maybe. Paddy went #1 and...

enzedder

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-eye-delisted-saint-minchington-20181012-p509b4.html

Not surprised. He could be a great pick up for another club at no cost.
With Gresham, Billings, Lonie, Weller and Long he was superfluous to needs. He was on the list long enough. If he does well with another club, good luck to him.
Here's a clip he did of himself or maybe it was his mum's doing haha....shows he knew how to kick a goal.
https://youtu.be/qqDk8pDaWkY

enzedder

Seniors
Outs -  Stevens, Goddard, Wright, Minchington, Gilbert, Freeman, Hickey, Weller
Ins - Hannebery, Kent
Rookies
Outs - Connellan
Ins - Alabakis

Looking at the ins and outs we can use all 6 picks below.
Picks 4, 36, 46, 67, 79, 97
That said, I'm not sure about the rookie rules and if we have to upgrade any existing rookies still on the list but think both Marshall and Pierce should be on the main list. Joyce and Langlands have also been recently retained by signing on until 2019...presumably as rookies.
So I think we will use 4 draft picks, given that Hickey has gone and Marshall and Pierce will be needed more than ever.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-18/the-next-mason-cox-saints-sign-us-giant
Happy about this. 211 version 3. A Perth boy so he would've grown up with the game. Promising.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-18/saints-confirm-twoyear-extension-for-goalsneak-jack-lonie
Lonie saved his butt with a good finish to the year. With Weller and Minch gone we've got rid of some of his type already and hopefully he'll continue his development and kick on. Not unhappy about retaining him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-17/saints-cut-strongbodied-forward-after-five-years
Thanks for your service Mav. Always had a crack. Depth player though and opens a space for someone else now.
Good move I think.