WXV Round 7: Toronto's Last Premiership Test

Started by Purple 77, May 01, 2018, 07:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Normal lockout week :)

Round 7, AFL Round 7

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Dublin DestroyersCape Town CobrasCrooke Park4  v  2
New York RevolutionNew Delhi TigersMetLife Stadium3  v  4
Toronto WolvesSeoul MagpiesRogers Centre3  v  3
Pacific IslandersMexico City SunsLinkbelt Oval, AAP Alliance0  v  6
Moscow SpetsnazBerlin BrewersLuzhniki Stadium, EurAsia, Europe4  v  3
Christchurch SaintsLondon RoyalsAMI Stadium1  v  2
Tokyo SamuraiCairo SandsTokyo Olympic Stadium4  v  2
Buenos Aires ArmadillosPNL ReindeersEstadio de River3  v  3
Beijing ThunderRio de Janeiro JaguarsBeijing Olympic Park0  v  3

Dublin backed up a solid 140 with another solid 140 last week. I mean, it's good, but not the WOW we used to get from the Destroyers. Injuries? Sure. But I want 150+. The Cobras really stood up a took the game on instead of letting it slip, with a solid 138. I doubt whether they can back that up in consecutive weeks, but if they do, they're a chance. Dublin for me.

Most may be surprised to find out the Revs are still 3-3 despite what consecutive 120s may otherwise suggest. But if you're paying REALLY close attention, you'll know New York are actually quite injury struck; 3 wins is a good effort tbh. The Toiges meanwhile have been going on their merry way, now having notched up 4 games straight since their opening two losses. I see that streak continuing this week.

It's almost like the MOTR is whatever game Toronto is in, and it's that once again! The Wolves suffered their first defeat last week at the hands of the impressive Pacific; a foe that they'll no doubt meet in September. Speaking of September foes, Toronto is now 2-1 against last year's top 4, and they face the last one of that group this week. After this week... Toronto's draw opens up big time, so this is really their last chance to test their September mettle. The Magpies have been poor by their standards in the last two weeks, scoring a 135 and a 128, the latter of which saw them lose their first game of the year and their first against Tokyo. What's happened? Seoul needs a response, and this a perfect opponent to do so against. In saying that... I think the momentum is with Toronto, and I'll back 'em.

The Islanders sit clearly #1 on the points ladder, but it wasn't until last week when they made their claim to be the #1 team so far this year. Beating a contender in Toronto shows this team has the required mettle to go all the way this year, and IMO, they are the favourites right now to do so. Mexico City meanwhile, might have been a spoon favourite until last week; finally showing a pulse with their first score above 115 (134) and one made without Sicily and Petracca! But really, they are just no chance to beat Pacific this week. Rest Titchell I say!

The Spetsnaz must be getting a little frustrated with how this season is shaping out. That's now 5 losses in a row despite not really scoring that badly until just last week. Well, if there was ever a constantly nervous and thus vulnerable team to get a win against, they'll certainly get one against Berlin. The Brewers are actually in a nice little patch with back-to-back 150s on the board, the most recent one without a chunk of its star power too. Actually... this could be our best form for a very, very long time. I back us!

The Saints must be thanking the heavens that the easy part of their draw is occurring during their injury crisis. With only losses to top 8 teams Seoul and Berlin, the Saints have scored wins against bottom 8 teams whilst scoring injury-affected 130+ scores. Amazingly, their draw continues to be understanding of their situation, with the 16th highest scoring team London up next. The Royals have a nice 5 or 6 leading the way, but the rest of the team needs to follow suit. Christchurch for me.

TOKYO! What a win against a premiership fancy in Seoul! 138, 142 and 133 is an official declaration that the Samurai are a dangerous team for any that they come up against, and if they keep this up... a sneaky finals contender? If history is anything to go by, Tokyo will be on track to score their season high against the leaky Sands, who have amazingly conceded the most points so far this season by 540 SC points over the next worse. Cairo haven't been going that bad really, and don't deserve to be 18th by any stretch. A line ball game this one! I think the Sands are due actually.

The gaps between the Dillos best and worse is quite large, and it looks like you won't get any in-between. Bueons Aires' best will compete with or defeat the Reindeeers, but their worse will certainly lose to then. The Reindeers seem a steady 120+ proposition, and that's largely thanks to Captain Zerrett returning to some form. Important game potentially in the race for the spoon, and both clubs will want to avoid it. I actually like the Dillos in this one.

The 'Jing have been lucky this year, but they are owed, so it's OK. The positive out of last week is that their midfield (Neale aside) can't possibly go any worse, and they still ended up with 129. That score is only a 50/50 chance at defeating Rio so far this year, who certainly have the capacity to upset the Thunder, certainly with Paddy Cripps tearing it up. But, I think the Thunder mids will put in this week, and will get Beijing the win.

although meow meow's mini-previews below are all we need

meow meow

MINI PREVIEWS

The Destroyers are in the top 8, the Cobras are not. Upton will get their ass kicked by WXV again this week. Dublin to welcome back a few of their stars soon so look out. This could be ugly.

NDT are in the top 8, NY are not. The Revolution are a shell of their former selves and stand no chance. May as well tank because they're going nowhere for the next few seasons.

Seoul are the new pie. Injuries will expose them even more this week, and their pretender permacaptain is a has-been while Toronto are the real deal, however I don't think a win here means a premiership.

Berlin are in the top 8, Moscow are not. This is your week to nail the captain, 77.

Christchurch are in the top 8, London are not. Even if we've got 14 playing it'll be a walk in the park.

Tokyo have been a lot better lately and it wouldn't surprise us if they beat the insignificant Sands, but really this is not a MOTR contender.

Beunos with HGA in a winnable game, probably won't happen though.

'Jing have been very lucky this year and hopefully Cripps serves them some justice. Also Griffen > Zorko.

Toga

JBs-Hawks

RaisyDaisy

Ah keep trashing us - we're 3-3 and have been missing a large chunk of our best 15 plus our ruck so have been OOP

We're nowhere near as bad as some of you think, and we'll win a flag before you meow :P

Holz

just as i get some guys back in more go out, Lids and May this week luckily I have some great depth.

Alex Rance, Tom Mcdonald, Oscar Mcdonald, Ed Vickers Willis
Dustin Martin (CC), Joel Selwood (CC), Matt Crouch, Justin Westhoff
Todd Goldstein
Jack Reiwoldt, Jack Gunston, , Tom Hawkins, Majak Daw
Stephen Hill, Phil Davis

Nick Holman, Harley Balic, Mitchell Lewis

Birchall, Sloane, B.Crouch, Lids, May take a rest.

Boomz

Tokyo
Def: Johannisen, Short, Plowman, Corr
Mid: Cotchin, Whitfield (VC), Ross (C), Phillips
Ruc: Lycett
Fwd: Cripps, Thomas, Dunkley, Young
UT: Hoskin-Elliott, Atkins
EMG: Cameron, Impey, McNiece

Toga

Beijing Thunder:
D: B.Ellis, T.Jonas, J.Hunt, T.Cutler
M: L.Neale (CC), O.Wines, C.Ward, D.Zorko
R: B.Grundy (CC)
F: K.Lamboghini, J.Caddy, L.Breust, M.Cox
IC: D.Howe, J.Thurlow

Emg: D.Butler (f), N.Broad (d), M.Guelfi (f)

Adamant

Danger going 160 on Friday night is going to make it tough but HGA will help nullify that somewhat. With plenty of players putting their hand up at Windsor, this game is going to be decided at the selection table.

Who gets the gig at D4? 98 and 67 isn't too bad first up from Tom Cole baybay. Can he keep it going? Clarke has had one absolute stinker but apart from that has been pretty solid having gone 73+ in 4/6 games. If he didn't make me cringe every time he has the ball in his hands he'd be a lock. Lynden Dunn is averaging 70 without his injury game. What about my boy Duman? Lucky helmet head is out of favour and injured and Nick Robbo has been rubbed out so I don't have to consider them and their 70 averages.

M1-M4 pretty straight forward, the utilities are where it starts to get interesting. Prestia is looking a bit sluggish coming back from injury and might need another rest. Redden was supposed to average 95+ this year and after a dismal first 5 rounds he bounced back with a 127 on the weekend. Is he going to start delivering? Fiorini has a three-round average of 90 and GC/Dogs games are generally junk fests which he should get in on. Hopper is finding a bit of the footy but hasn't shown enough of a ceiling to be considered at this stage. Bellchambers has scored between 80-90 in every game this year which is the type of consistency I'm after. Better than Aaron Hall.

Milera has arrived as a half-back flanker. Does he displace Christensen at F4? Do I play both and attack/play one of them in the utilities? Neither and flood?

We nail these calls and it will go a long way towards going 6-1.

upthemaidens

Pacific Islanders

D: Rory Laird (VC), Michael Hurley, Matt Suckling, Bailey Williams
M: Tom Mitchell (C), Marcus Bontempelli, Andrew Gaff, Jarryd Lyons
R: Jarrod Witts
F: Devon Smith, Michael Barlow, Josh Jenkins, Matt de Boer
Int: Rhys Stanley, Adam Tomlinson

E: Liam Duggan, Mitch McGovern, Steven Motlop

JBs-Hawks

And my injury list grows by the training session

iZander

Buenos Aires Armadillos

Team Format: Traditional

D: Riley Bonner, Tom Doedee, Jimmy Webster, Jamie MacMillan
M: Jarrod Berry, Ed Curnow, Chris Masten, Trent Dumont
R: Adam Cerra
F: Cale Hooker, Shane Edwards, Oliver Florent, Darcy Parish
U: Paddy Dow, Cameron Rayner
E: Andrew Brayshaw, Jy Simpkin, Mark LeCras

CC: Ed Curnow
CC: Jimmy Webster
RP:
NR:

Nige

Karen

Shane Savage, Jeremy McGovern, Tom Stewart, Nick Vlastuin
Dayne Beams (vc), Taylor Adams, David Zaharakis, Ricky Henderson
Karl Amon (oop)
Ben Brown, Mitch Robinson (c), Jason Castagna, Mav Weller
Sam Kerridge, Hugh McCluggage

Mark Hutchings, Andrew McGrath, Brandon White

Ringo

London Royals

Traditional

D: Blake Hardwick, Adam Saad,Darcy Gardiner ,Brad Shepphard
M: Luke Shuey, Charlie Spargo, Jack Higgins, Shaun Burgoyne
R: Callum Sinclair
F: Tom Lynch,Jake Waterman,Dean Towers, Sam Gray
U: Lin Jong, Timothy English
E: Jacob Allison, Heath Grundy, Tim Membrey

C: Luke Shuey
VC: Tom T Lynch

In: Spargo, Towers
Out: Sheed, Allison

GoLions

Kate Upton Cobras

DEF: Luke McDonald, Callum Mills, Jake Carlisle, Jasper Pittard
MID: Mitch Duncan (C), Brad Ebert, Ben Cunnington, Touk Miller (VC)
RUCK: Toby Nankervis
FWD: Tom Papley, Lewis Taylor, Kieren Jack, Jaidyn Stephenson
UTIL: Mark Blicavs, David Mackay

EMG: Jack Bowes, Claye Beams, Mitch Crowden