WXV Round 4: Powerful Pacific

Started by Purple 77, April 10, 2018, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Normal lockout week  :) full lockout at 7.50 pm AEDT on Friday night

Round 4, AFL Round 4

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Rio de Janeiro JaguarsDublin DestroyersMaracana Stadium2  v  2
Mexico City SunsNew Delhi TigersFireball Stadium5  v  2
Seoul MagpiesMoscow SpetsnazSeoul World Cup Stadium, EurAsia1  v  5
Pacific IslandersPNL ReindeersTuanaimato International Stadium0  v  6
Berlin BrewersBeijing ThunderBerlin Olympic Stadium, EurAsia3  v  3
Christchurch SaintsCape Town CobrasAMI Stadium, AAP Alliance, Africonia2  v  1
London RoyalsNew York RevolutionLondon Olympic Stadium1  v  5
Tokyo SamuraiToronto WolvesTokyo Olympic Stadium3  v  3
Cairo SandsBuenos Aires ArmadillosBorg El Arab Stadium, AAP Alliance1  v  5

The Jags hit the wall hard last week against the Brewers after a promising first two weeks. Rio would have quite fond memories of playing Dublin; who could forget that 2016 prelim at Crooke Park? The Destroyers also had a 'mare by their standards where NONE of their midfielders reached a ton, NONE! I reckon that does a 180 degree flip this week, Dublin to win despite a competitive Rio outfit I reckon.

Alright, I think I've had enough Suns bashing (even though I'm sure the ghosts of Sao Paulo, Nails' Buenos Aires and Dublin would be loving it). The mountain to climb here is a 130+ score, and if the Suns manage to do just that you never know what might happen. The Tiges had a welcome return to form last week with an intimidating 169; ah, how the tables have turned from 2013 between these two clubs! Toiges for me.

Seoul is in a tense race for premiership favouritism along with Pacific, Dublin, New Delhi and I reckon maybe even Toronto, so scores like 137 don't do anything but introduce doubt. The Spetsnaz have been going on steadily but sputtered a bit last week against the 'Jing, who they previously would have thought they may have beaten. Beating Seoul is a tough ask, but they have done it 5 times before! Magpies for me.

As the thread title suggests, it's Pacific recognition week. Where fellow top teams Dublin, Seoul & New Delhi have faltered with a lower score so far this year, the Islanders haven't; proving to be a picture of scary consistency scoring 151, 162 and 167. They sit rightfully atop of the points ladder and to me, have been the most impressive team. The Reindeers - oh, they had a sniff against Seoul last week. Had only Zerrett got a very achievable 108 points as Captain, PNL would have claimed the upset of the season! A very positive step in the right direction, but it doesn't get easier this week. But you know what the coolest part about this game is? Pacific have never beaten PNL! Ever! I reckon that changes this week though.

The Brewers have been good; but not great. Whilst I'm sure three consecutive scores of 140+ would be deemed a fairly decent effort, Berlin falls short of being mentioned with our top 4 teams last year and the rising Wolves. The coach wants a big effort - and soon - so his insecurity doesn't take the better of him, and he starts showerposting complaints of not being good enough. The Thunder would be quietly thrilled - and relieved - with last weeks effort, where they scored 140+ in a danger game against Moscow. Scoring 114, 128 and 142 so far this year, the pattern suggest a 156 is next! Is this where the 'Jing start to make their move? I certainly hope not. I'm backing myself in, coz I really, really want to win.

The Saints showed their first signs of injuries catching up to them last week, with just a 131 coming from their efforts. To make matters worse, WXV star GAJ is down for the short-term, leaving much of the heavy lifting in the midfield to be completed by Luke Parker. I'm not too sure there'd be many other teams with a more bitterly disappointing start to the season than the Cobras, who have missed very winnable games against Buenos Aires & London in the past two weeks. It should be noted, that after Round 5 against Rio, the Cobras will only face one other team that has so far scored less than 120 (Beijing), with the next lowest scoring team being the competitive Tokyo. If they don't capitalise soon, they could be spoon favourites. You know what? I actually think the Cobras are due - coupled with my Christchurch injury concerns - so I'm tipping Cape Town!

Call me crazy if you will, but I reckon London v New York this week is my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Royals responded very well to their horrid showing in Round 2, where they were able to improve their score by 36 points to topple the Cobras and notch their 2nd win of the season. You'll actually find in previous years, that the Royals have a knack for finding early season wins before running out of puff towards the end of the season. This 'knack' can only be compared to New York, except they have it year-round. New York are the other team so far this year that have claimed both of their wins with scores less than 135, but unlike the Royals (at least not to the same extent), they have the asterisk of notably large amounts of injuries. So this game I find, is the battle of the knacks! Who has it better? Definitely New York, but I just gotta funny feeling London could get up.

The Samurai certainly haven't been the worst team of the competition so far this year; evidenced by their 12th placing on the points ladder. Gee, you'd like to think what difference Zac Williams would have had? The Samurai just need to add about 5 points to their game, then they'd be making opponents nervous. The Wolves so far boast the best claim of scalps this year, adding Dublin to New Delhi & Beijing last week. They'd be eyeing off Round 6 & 7 in particular against Seoul & Pacific, where if they were to win... I reckon they could go the whole season undefeated. Which implies my tip here!

I like this match up! The Sands so far sit in the Samurai boat where another 5 points to their score would start to concern teams, but with a seemingly permanent OOP ruck, that potential seems limited. The Dillos hit the wall pretty hard last week as the youth of the team started to show. It's actually worth noting that these two teams scored the same in Round 1 & 2 (WXV points wise at least). I reckon this game will be won or lost in the captaincy, and with Adams doing down, it just makes it all the more interesting. I THINK! I'll go the Sands here, but willing to jump off that rickety band wagon at a moments notice.

GoLions

You're a flowering bold man, Purps. A bold man indeed.

Duncan and Bowes should be back this week at least, Pittard back soon. Garner and Lang as well I think.

Purple 77

Levi434

Rio will be resting Patrick Cripps this week. He's coming up against Ben Jacobs who will ruin him. Also I don't need Cripps cause Dublin are easy beats for the Jags.

Nige

wtf, now I have to reset the counter to 0. Thanks Purps.

RaisyDaisy

I never thought I'd see the day where London vs NY is your MOTR :P

As long as Sinclair doesn't pump out another luckbox score we're a chance, although our injuries are piling up again and OOP ruck is always a killer so this should be tight, and a match we need to win

Holz

Alex Rance, Steven May, Ed Vickers Willis, Oscar McDonald
Dustin Martin (C), Rory Sloane (VC), Joel Selwood, Stephen Hill
Todd Goldstien
Jack Gunston, Brett Deledio, Tom hawkins, Jack Reiwoldt
Justin Westhoff, Jack Henry

Emg: Majak Daw, Phil Davis, Mark O'Connor

Resting: Nick Holman

Well deserved rest for my cousin.

upthemaidens

Pacific Islanders

D: Rory Laird (VC), Michael Hurley, Matt Suckling, Adam Tomlinson (Rested)
M: Tom Mitchell (C), Marcus Bontempelli, Andrew Gaff, Jarryd Lyons
R: Jarrod Witts
F: Devon Smith, Josh Jenkins, Matt Taberner, Steven Motlop
Int: Rhys Stanley, Bailey Williams

E:  Matt de Boer, Jake Kolodjashnij, Mitch McGovern

Resting: Michael Barlow

RaisyDaisy

Just checking, are you allowed to rest Barlow?

I thought you could only rest players who are playing?

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 12, 2018, 12:34:32 PM
Just checking, are you allowed to rest Barlow?

I thought you could only rest players who are playing?

you cant rest a player who isnt playing.

Barlow might play though

WXV Media

HUGE DEVELOPMENT!
Here at the media we have been able to hack into numerous mobile devices. Today we have been startled by the conversation that Jay and UTM have had recently.

The 2 Pacific coaches engaged in a conversation that can only be described as criminal. We would suspect serious anger in retaliation from Holz. The messages are shown below so see the filthy texts for yourself.

Well you can't argue with that!

Purple 77

Gee that's quick reporting.

Also questionable from an ethics stand point as to whether WXV Media should be allowed to hack into personal devices  :-\

They're a menace, is what I say!

Adamant

I reckon even the team with a MIA coach will put up more of a fight than Dublin did last week.

upthemaidens

Must be a slow news day, this private conversation was clearly said in jest.
   Our lawyers will be looking into any legal action that may be taken, in this clear violation of privacy.

The Dublin/Toronto back to back games in Rds.5/6 will be crucial to our top 4 efforts.
   Losing Cam Guthrie for 8 weeks is going to hurt, hopefully Barlow gets named tonight and Gibson is close to a return.

Holz

Im tipping pacific to win as well, i cant counter that fire power in the midfield without the crouch bros.

all these teams seem to be focusing and talking about Dublin alot thats what im picking up.