Main Menu

Swans 2018 season discussion thread

Started by j959, April 03, 2018, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Surely Horse has a plan B other than 'kick it to Buddy'??

obviously i'm biased and I missed seeing the last qtr, but did the refs give momentum to Port??
#sourgrapes  ;)

Gandalf123

Cost ourselves the game by being sloppy under pressure where as port weren’t! Also didn’t cash in on dominance for most of the 1st half

Trindacut

I think Port are going in a little underrated this year, so a loss to them isn't as bad as it seems.

I don't really see how the Swans are favorites for the flags. There's got to be a reason for the opening of last year, and not a lot has changed since then. Top 8 side at best I think.

Nevertheless I stand to be proven wrong. Good win against the Giants and Eagles (who are also doing better than I thought), so we'll see what the coming weeks bring.

GoLions

Quote from: Trindacut on April 11, 2018, 05:29:58 PM
I think Port are going in a little underrated this year, so a loss to them isn't as bad as it seems.

I don't really see how the Swans are favorites for the flags. There's got to be a reason for the opening of last year, and not a lot has changed since then. Top 8 side at best I think.

Nevertheless I stand to be proven wrong. Good win against the Giants and Eagles (who are also doing better than I thought), so we'll see what the coming weeks bring.
Injuries start of last year didn't help them at all

Gandalf123

Quote from: Trindacut on April 11, 2018, 05:29:58 PM

So with that logic, shouldn’t there be a good reason for going 15 from 17 after that start as well?

j959

Definitely not a top 4 side after Friday's poor effort ...  :(

I missed the 1st qtr and it looks like the damage had been done by then ... I don't mind my team losing but when it seems to be for lack of effort ...   :P   :-X   :'(

Crows just wanted it more and that's damning ... similar to last year, just don't start well in games or at the beginning of the season ... similar to last year, leaders didn't stand up ... Heeney as a young player led the way but not much from JPK, Parker, Hanners ...

SydneyRox

The thing that has hurt us all year has been poor disposal and bombing long to buddy.

On Friday, the crows played 2 and sometimes three extra in our defense and what did we do?? Kicked it long and without looking to the forward line.

I dont know what Horse is thinking sometimes as well? surely making those guys accountable for a player and clogging the space is better than a long kick to buddy who is 2or3 teamed? We really miss Reid as an alternate tall forward and have no one else to put there.

Our mids were ordinary as well, Not sure what is wrong with JPK, but he hasnt played with much gusto all year?

We played Parker more forward on Friday as a marking target and it hurt us in the middle as we couldnt get the ball out of the contest well enough.

We left it too late to make a go of it, and while there were some really good signs, like Heeney, lloyd and Jones, it was too much for them to do almost alone.

I was also concerned with Buddys play on at all costs mentality around the 50, we know he likes to, but so do the opposition. He cost us 2 goals that I can think of, by not going back and taking the shot properly.

In the end we are still % points away from top 8 and havent looked like the team we know yet. Its a long season, but the next few games will tell us more.

Keep the faith / Rant over

SydneyRox

oh.... just a PS.

I was at the game, so havent watched a replay yet, but there was a goal review in the 4th (i think) where they seemed to focus on the ball getting touched by an Adelaide player off the boot, but I swear it came off the back of one of our guys boot after this?

Did anyone else see that?

j959

Quote from: SydneyRox on April 24, 2018, 10:18:20 AM
oh.... just a PS.

I was at the game, so havent watched a replay yet, but there was a goal review in the 4th (i think) where they seemed to focus on the ball getting touched by an Adelaide player off the boot, but I swear it came off the back of one of our guys boot after this?

Did anyone else see that?
I didn't see that one SydRox ...

Quote from: SydneyRox on April 24, 2018, 10:15:57 AM
The thing that has hurt us all year has been poor disposal and bombing long to buddy.

On Friday, the crows played 2 and sometimes three extra in our defense and what did we do?? Kicked it long and without looking to the forward line.

I dont know what Horse is thinking sometimes as well? surely making those guys accountable for a player and clogging the space is better than a long kick to buddy who is 2or3 teamed? We really miss Reid as an alternate tall forward and have no one else to put there.

Our mids were ordinary as well, Not sure what is wrong with JPK, but he hasnt played with much gusto all year?

We played Parker more forward on Friday as a marking target and it hurt us in the middle as we couldnt get the ball out of the contest well enough.

We left it too late to make a go of it, and while there were some really good signs, like Heeney, lloyd and Jones, it was too much for them to do almost alone.

I was also concerned with Buddys play on at all costs mentality around the 50, we know he likes to, but so do the opposition. He cost us 2 goals that I can think of, by not going back and taking the shot properly.

In the end we are still % points away from top 8 and havent looked like the team we know yet. Its a long season, but the next few games will tell us more.

Keep the faith / Rant over
things just get better and better ...

"Swans shock with Buddy, Hannebery to miss Cats" - link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-24/swans-shock-with-franklin-hannebery-to-miss-cats#/

JPK, might be an age drop-off; saw commentary last night (Talking Footy or Footy Classified can't remember which) saying that Parker clearly looks injured and that's why he played forward so much ...

Buddy plays on because his set shot isn't a big advantage from playing on, so I understand why he does that - some players just flow and are better that way ...

in trouble of not making the 8 unless they can hold tight to the byes ...  :P    :-X

Gandalf123

We’ll be fine, just a blip on the radar, this week will be interesting, Cameron might get his first crack as Sinclair may have to play predominately forward, buddy out forces the load to be shared up forward so hopefully it is a turn to the better from being too buddy conscious going forward.

Wouldn’t mine seeing Isaac coming out of the square and Parker back on the pill as well.
The way Heeney was launching at the footy and his sticky hands he could be a handful

elephants

From memory didn't JPK carry something through the pre-season? Might have been a calf or something I thought?

He tends to come home well, so if he's still putting up these performances in round 17-18, then I'd be very worried

j959

What happened?? I didn't get to see any of the @ Cats game and the news highlights weren't really illuminating ... I mean, how do you go from a really poor effort against the Crows, to beating the Cats at home w/out Buddy/Hanners??!!??  ???

:P

still not top4 for mine ...  :(

;)

SydneyRox

they really only played half a game, 1st and last qtrs

Not sure what Horse has against going man on man anymore??

Opposition coaches are dumping an extra number or two in our forward line and we bomb it long to the spare??

Surprise, surprise, we go into the last qtr man on man and kick six goals

Gandalf123

Quote from: SydneyRox on April 30, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

Opposition coaches are dumping an extra number or two in our forward line and we bomb it long to the spare??

Yep hopefully this has helped horse realise that it’s ok to stray away from his game plan.. looked much better once we manned up the spare.. the area Adelaide killed us the week before

j959

Quote from: Gandalf123 on April 30, 2018, 07:39:02 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on April 30, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

Yep hopefully this has helped horse realise that it’s ok to stray away from his game plan.. looked much better once we manned up the spare.. the area Adelaide killed us the week before
hopefully it's just 'horses for courses' (excuse the pun  ;)) ... ie Horse shifting the gameplan as necessary ... a little worried that he's only done this out of necessity with Buddy out, so I just can't understand why he wouldn't do it even with Buddy in the team so we're not so predictable going fwd ... ??  ???