World Idol 2018

Started by Nige, March 31, 2018, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Everybody's favourite knockout competition is back!

To quote the great former admin - ossie85, here's how it works:

Quote from: ossie85 on February 08, 2013, 06:43:48 PM
A simple game...

The lowest scoring team is eliminated each week, until we have a winner!

You can get immunity from elimination if you had the highest score the week before (up until round 10) - in which case the 2nd lowest scoring team is eliminated.

So, who has what it takes to be World Idol?

Eliminated Teams
R1: Mexico City
R2: London
R3: Buenos Aires
R4: PNL
R5: Cape Town and New York
R6: Moscow
R7: Rio
R8: Dublin
R9: Tokyo
R10: New Delhi
R11: Berlin
R12: Cairo
R13: Seoul
R14:
R15:
R16:
Winner:

Nige

Welcome back to World Idol! The 2018 season has started and we're back to dash the hopes of 17 teams yet again! Anyway, y'all know how this works, so let's get to the good stuff.

In a new initiative for 2018, to uphold the true spirit of the Idol name, each departing team will receive a song dedication on their way out.

Round 1

There are many great honours in life and some of us just aren't fortunate enough to experience them. One of the things on that list is winning World Idol and this may come as no surprise to literally anyone when I say Mexico City are the first team bowing out in 2018.

For Mexico City's sad farewell which is only the beginning of a year of pain, we've chosen Simple Minds' Don't You (Forget About Me).

Purple 77

Quote from: Nige on March 31, 2018, 12:09:48 PM
For Mexico City's sad farewell which is only the beginning of a year of pain, we've chosen Simple Minds' Don't You (Forget About Me).

Ha, wow haha.

And Beijing was so close to being eliminated, which would have had many Idol hopefuls happy.

Hellopplz

The song choices are a nice touch Nige ;D

Nige

Round 2

It was a pretty awful week for one particular team. And if memory serves correctly, a similar week last season produced the same result. If they ever want to be in the running for World Idol, something has to change at London or they're just making up the numbers.

As they exit the competition as a result of a series of paltry scores, given the players had only score double digits, we bid them farewell with a song with a double digit figure in the title, and that could be used as a metaphor for their now dashed Idol hopes. Here you go London, here's 50 Ways to Say Goodbye by Train.

Ringo

Thanks Nige song very appropriate. Told you we will challenge you for that No 1 draft pick.

Purple 77

I'm liking these songs  8)

Nige

Nige

Round 3

Unfortunately for Buenos Aires the end of the line has come. The had two decent weeks by their standards, even reaping rising star nominations, nobody really elevated to the heights needed to help them stay in this competition.

It's an emotional goodbye to a team that most people probably have nothing against, so a heartfelt goodbye like Coldplay's The Scientist seems fitting for this tear-jerking occasion.

Purple 77

"Nobody said it was eaaaasaaayyyyyyhhhh"

Cracks me up every time when applied to sports/fantasy :P

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 09, 2018, 05:55:02 PM
"Nobody said it was eaaaasaaayyyyyyhhhh"

Cracks me up every time when applied to sports/fantasy :P
Chris Martin was right, no one ever said it would be this hard.

Nige

Round 4

They may or may not be rapt with lasting this long, but it's finally time to say au revoir to the lovely folk at PNL who were pretty comfortably the worst of the teams still battling it out for Idol glory.

As they fade out of this prestigious competition, we send them off with Sarah McLachlan's I Will Remember You.

Nige

Round 5

A dramatic turn of events has seen a World Idol first! Two teams have shared the lowest score of the week of the remaining teams for the first time in this competition's history. The powers that be here at World Idol have made the executive decision to eliminate both Cape Town and New York which changes the game. As a result, World Idol will finish a week earlier than usual.

To bid these two teams farewell, we used the song titled with that exact word, here's some Farewell by Rihanna.

Nige

Round 6

Last round had an unseen twist, so it's hard to follow up something so unexpected, but one team has found a way. Once upon a time people feared when they said the Russians are coming, and now everyone waves goodbye as Moscow are going right out the World Idol door.

We'll give them something a little different, with Macy Gray's I Try as they exit Idol for 2018.

Nige

Round 7

This week we say goodbye to the men from Brazil as Rio exit World Idol on the back of a fairly underwhelming effort. With this elimination, we now have our top 10 for 2018.

However, before we get to that, we dedicate a lovely tune to Rio and it's called One More Day by Diamond Rio.