Main Menu

Best 22 for 2018

Started by GoLions, February 28, 2018, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

Would rather make a new thread for this, get some discussion going, especially with our first JLT game coming up! Going to be plenty of competition for spots this year, which is really good for the club, as we've played quite a few list cloggers in the past. Anyhow, this is my attempt at our 22 for R1, providing everyone is fit and ready to go!

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden
HB: Luke Hodge, Daniel McStay, Daniel Rich
C: Rhys Mathieson, Mitch Robinson, Ryan Bastinac
HF: Allen Christensen, Eric Hipwood, Lewis Taylor
F: Charlie Cameron, Josh Walker, Cameron Rayner
R: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko
I: Sam Mayes, Hugh McCluggage, Ryan Lester, Jarrod Berry

E: Ben Keays, Tom Cutler, Nick Robertson

Depth (in no order): Jacob Allison, Zac Bailey, Rohan Bewick, Cedric Cox, Corey Lyons, Archie Smith, Jake Barrett, Sam Skinner (injured?), Jack Frost, Marco Paparone, Tom Bell

Expecting Keays, Cutler, Robertson, Allison, Bailey, Cox, Lyons to all get games throughout the year. Hodge will probably be rested here and there, Beams and Bundy both injury risks, so guys like Cutler, Cox, Allison, Keays, and Bailey in particular should get a good go at it.

Really like Rich at half back, hope he stays there. Good chance of playing mostly midfield though, which may see Mayes go to half back and someone like Keays coming in.

What do you guys reckon?

quinny88

There's definitely the nucleus for a good side there.
If you guys can keep the young talent I think the lions will be very good in a couple of years.

Any young key forwards coming through underneath? You would hope to see Walker eventually pushed out

Levi434

Nice looking team there GL. I really like it. I'm not too keen on Josh Walker but he'll do for now.

Any chance Brissy go with a slightly smaller forward line? E.g. Drop Walker for Keays/Cutler/Allison which will allow Hippy some more freedom and maybe some one-on-ones with Rayner, Beams and Zork going down there?

Love the write-up and breakdowns GL :-*

Adamant

Quote from: quinny88 on March 01, 2018, 01:38:41 AM
Any young key forwards coming through underneath? You would hope to see Walker eventually pushed out

Don't let the receding hairline deceive you, Walker is only 25yo! He was also a contested marking, pinch-hitting ruck gun in the back end of the season.

quinny88

Quote from: Adamant on March 01, 2018, 02:17:15 AM

Don't let the receding hairline deceive you, Walker is only 25yo! He was also a contested marking, pinch-hitting ruck gun in the back end of the season.

Haha yes I know, needs to ask Guerra where he got his rug.
I just don't rate him though and can't see him being part of the future if Brisbane are to become a good team. He's not completely terrible but it is the one hole I see

Ringo

Walker will be used to pinch hit in the ruck if we use Stef as sole ruck which appears likely. 

There is  some talk that Eagles or Jack Payne may be get Gardiners spot and Bundy, Rayner and Bailey fighting for two spots.

Do not like Lester as he butchers the ball too much but the coach loves him.  Would have Cox or Robertson instead. Skinner is injured and due to return around mid season.

Nice problems for match committee selectors for this year though.

GoLions

If you guys can keep the young talent I think the lions will be very good in a couple of years.

Ballenden would be one but not ready yet. Walker very good back half of last year though. McStay can also go fwd.

GoLions

Quote from: Levi434 on March 01, 2018, 02:15:20 AM
Nice looking team there GL. I really like it. I'm not too keen on Josh Walker but he'll do for now.

Any chance Brissy go with a slightly smaller forward line? E.g. Drop Walker for Keays/Cutler/Allison which will allow Hippy some more freedom and maybe some one-on-ones with Rayner, Beams and Zork going down there?

Love the write-up and breakdowns GL :-*
Definitely a chance. Allison was really impressive last season when he got a chance. And i love Cutler and Keays so would like to see them play as much as possible.

GoLions

Quote from: quinny88 on March 01, 2018, 04:20:44 AM
Quote from: Adamant on March 01, 2018, 02:17:15 AM

Haha yes I know, needs to ask Guerra where he got his rug.
I just don't rate him though and can't see him being part of the future if Brisbane are to become a good team. He's not completely terrible but it is the one hole I see
Yeah he finished the season locked in our 22, so at this stage he'd be in the side. Needs to keep performing though.

GoLions

Quote from: Ringo on March 01, 2018, 10:20:37 AM
Walker will be used to pinch hit in the ruck if we use Stef as sole ruck which appears likely. 

There is  some talk that Eagles or Jack Payne may be get Gardiners spot and Bundy, Rayner and Bailey fighting for two spots.

Do not like Lester as he butchers the ball too much but the coach loves him.  Would have Cox or Robertson instead. Skinner is injured and due to return around mid season.

Nice problems for match committee selectors for this year though.
Gardiner and Lester probably my last 2 picked haha. Coach loves Lester so that's why i put him in, can be a handy utility anyway though. Gardiner hopefully can take his game to the next level this season.

Levi434

Josh Walker has got to be the most underappreciated player in the AFL?

Ringo

Quote from: GoLions on March 01, 2018, 10:45:30 AM

Ballenden would be one but not ready yet. Walker very good back half of last year though. McStay can also go fwd.
Do not forget Toby Wooller as well. Starcevich can also play medium to tall forward but like Ballandeen take time to develop and will be ready when Walker needs to go. Tom Bell or Rohan Bewick provide depth if needed but neither really inspire,
We also have Jake Bradshaw available to us under father/son and if he is half as good as his father a Hipwood/Bradshaw partnership sounds exciting.
We will not be Top 10 this year as we continue to develop but watch out in 2 years time.

Ringo

Here is our squad for JLT 1

Notable ommissions: Beams, Zorko, Hodge,

Interesting structure with Andrews at CHB and Rich and Lester on the wings. Agree with Rich on the wings but Lerster  :o

Will be interesting to see final interchange as we appear to going with one tall and five small forwards in Lewy Taylor, Hugh McCluggage, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen and No. 1 draft pick Cam Rayner.  Walker on the extended bench though.

So maybe we could be experimenting with One tall and small forwards Levi. 

Only Rayner and Payne from draft selected as well. 

Koop

how dare you disrespect Cutler  >:(

Ringo

"Harris Andrews will captain the Lions on Saturday, with Dayne Beams not playing following the death of his father on Wednesday night."

Just read this in one of the articles and condolences to Dayne and Claye and families. Remember this was the reason that Dayne wanted to return to Brisbane because of fathers illness.