WXV Trade Confabulation 2018

Started by meow meow, November 22, 2017, 12:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Christchurch trade: Marc Murphy
Seoul trade: Jackson Trengove + Cam McCarthy

*verdict was delayed due to my 'sleep on it' rule*

Cam McCarthy has immaterial value to this trade, and in meow's words, is essentially a cap dump by JB. The question is whether Jackson Trengove is adequate compensation for Marc Murphy.

I've taken many factors into consideration.

Marc Murphy

Despite being 31 years old, history suggests Marc Murphy will produce a high average over his next two contracted seasons. Barring injury, to which he has been recently, I think it's safe to say it will be at least 100.

Jackson Trengove

Trengove, 28, has not averaged more than 74 in a season in his career. I think that says plenty.

Team/Cap Situation

Christchurch have voluntarily elected to go under the cap and take that punishment, and thus are no longer bound by the cap boundaries. However, this doesn't stop me judging their trades with a greater onus on improving their competitiveness next year.

The cap was introduced partly to address the 'balance of the comp' issues we were facing in 2013. Teams could cite that reason to stop a trade if one team with a strong list was deemed to be boosting their short-term prospects by obtaining them from a team that didn't really have any competitiveness in the short term.

Because the cap no longer applies to meow here, I can't help but cite that reason here.

Summary

Christchurch, having elected to go below the minimum cap, have an increased onus on their trades to improve their short term competitiveness. Marc Murphy, right now, is arguably their best captain candidate, and as such should ensure they are adequately compensated in the short term, or at least greatly compensated in the long term. I can't say with confidence that either of these things are happening.

Verdict

Trade is rejected. Seoul should seek to replace Cam McCarthy with a player of at least some sort of genuine long-term worth if this trade is to pass, or replace Trengove with someone with greater short term impact.

Purple 77

Mexico City give: Chayce Jones
Christchurch give: Jake Stringer + Josh J Kennedy

*verdict only needed me to sleep on it once*

Jake Stringer
I think that history has shown Jake Stringer is good for an 80 average; those kinda forwards are just handy, not invaluable.

Josh J Kennedy
History will suggest JJK is good for 90+ when fit. However, it's a different kettle of fish with KPFs staying on the park post 30, and with 1 year left in contract... I think his output and duration of output starts to become more speculative.

Chayce Jones
WXV Pick 17, Jones has it all in front of him. Whilst we could easily say picks could turn out to be nothing, Chayce Jones SC average in the under 18s is high enough to suggest he has the game to be successful long term. Can play inside mid which is often conducive for SC.

Summary
Overall, I'm more comfortable with this trade than the previous one. On the surface, this may seem contradictory to my previous posts' sentiments. However, I feel that the trading of the short-term loss - particularly JJK - has been compensated enough by the long-term value that Chayce Jones presents.

Verdict
Passed.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Purple 77 on December 15, 2018, 12:31:05 PM

Cam McCarthy has immaterial value to this trade, and in meow's words, is essentially a cap dump by JB. The question is whether Jackson Trengove is adequate compensation for Marc Murphy.

Marc Murphy

Despite being 31 years old, history suggests Marc Murphy will produce a high average over his next two contracted seasons. Barring injury, to which he has been recently, I think it's safe to say it will be at least 100.

Jackson Trengove

Trengove, 28, has not averaged more than 74 in a season in his career. I think that says plenty.

Team/Cap Situation

Christchurch have voluntarily elected to go under the cap and take that punishment, and thus are no longer bound by the cap boundaries. However, this doesn't stop me judging their trades with a greater onus on improving their competitiveness next year.

The cap was introduced partly to address the 'balance of the comp' issues we were facing in 2013. Teams could cite that reason to stop a trade if one team with a strong list was deemed to be boosting their short-term prospects by obtaining them from a team that didn't really have any competitiveness in the short term.

Because the cap no longer applies to meow here, I can't help but cite that reason here.

Summary

Christchurch, having elected to go below the minimum cap, have an increased onus on their trades to improve their short term competitiveness. Marc Murphy, right now, is arguably their best captain candidate, and as such should ensure they are adequately compensated in the short term, or at least greatly compensated in the long term. I can't say with confidence that either of these things are happening.

Verdict

Trade is rejected. Seoul should seek to replace Cam McCarthy with a player of at least some sort of genuine long-term worth if this trade is to pass, or replace Trengove with someone with greater short term impact.

If the teams were reversed - would the verdict be the same? :P

Purple 77

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on December 15, 2018, 02:57:49 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on December 15, 2018, 12:31:05 PM

Marc Murphy

Jackson Trengove

Team/Cap Situation

Summary

Verdict

If the teams were reversed - would the verdict be the same? :P

Probably not actually  :-X the balance of comp citation wouldn't apply, which was the key reason for the neg.

Purple 77

Quote from: Purple 77 on December 15, 2018, 12:51:01 PM
Mexico City give: Chayce Jones
Christchurch give: Jake Stringer + Josh J Kennedy

So uh, turns out this would give Mexico City 47 players. I forgot to check that part. The trade is auto rejected. At no times can you move outside of the list boundaries of 44-46

... I seems I forgot to put Callum wilke on the Suns list in the list after drafting thread. My apologies for the confusion.

meow meow

Looking for a mid who will play if anyone wants to grab Scully and wait for him. Can package with JJK

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on December 17, 2018, 02:02:12 PM
Looking for a mid who will play if anyone wants to grab Scully and wait for him. Can package with JJK

I can give nathan brown

Nige

I believe JB has Marc Murphy and he’ll play.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Holz on December 17, 2018, 02:23:22 PM

I can give nathan brown

Been a while since I saw Nathan Brown lining up in the centre square

Purple 77

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 17, 2018, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: Holz on December 17, 2018, 02:23:22 PM

I can give nathan brown

Been a while since I saw Nathan Brown lining up in the centre square

Was a great player for the Dees ;)

Purple 77

Trade 98
Seoul trade: Jackson Trengove + Josh Thomas

Murphy and Trengove have already been discussed.

Josh Thomas offers starting capability in the forward line, and together with Jackson Trengove, whom offers a similar output, the short-to-medium term gain offsets the larger short-term loss from Christchurch to an acceptable extent.

Trade passes.

Trade 99
Seoul trade: Caleb Daniel + Lochie O'Brien
Buenos Aires trade: Ed Curnow + Kade Chandler

I'm very comfortable with this trade. Although Curnow can be regarded as a premium midfielder, the short-term ability as well as the potential long-term improvement of Caleb Daniel (aged 7 years apart) provides comparable value. The O'Brien/Chandler swap recognises this slight tip towards Curnow being worth more, so all-in-all, I'm quite happy with this trade.

Trade passes.

RaisyDaisy

If anyone is looking for some handy depth, I can move the following players

They might not be huge scorers, but they can put up some decent scores and are generally Best 22. We know the season is long and injuries happen, so it never hurts to have some reliable depth

I'm only after someone younger in return who is either best 22 already, or is showing signs on potentially being best 22 in the future - so these guys won't cost much at all as long as I like the player you're offering

DEF: Taylor Duryea, Shane Kersten
MID: Kieran Jack (FWD), Richard Douglas (FWD),
FWD: Eddie Betts, Daniel Wells, Ben Reid, Mav Weller, Mitch W Brown

GoLions

RaisyDaisy

Haha, that's a great meme, but I stand by what I said

Guys like Douglas, Betts, Wells etc can pump out good scores when they're on, and they're best 22 when fit so that's "handy depth"  ;D

Torpedo10

We're back!

Poor Titch  :( I sympathise with Pacific.