Main Menu

Best 22 2018

Started by Adamant, October 19, 2017, 10:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamant

An unbelievable trade period for us thanks to what will now be known as "The Weller trade" at the 11th hour. Assuming all players are fit and available, this is how I would like us to line up in 2018.

FB: Logue, Hamling, Johnson
HB: Wilson, A. Pearce, Ryan
C: S. Hill, Blakely, B. Hill
HF: Walters, Cox, Bennell
FF: Matera, Taberner, McCarthy
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neale

I/C: Mundy, Langdon, Tucker, Pick 2

In all likelihood Alex Pearce will need a good 5-10 games at Peel under his belt before he's ready to come in. In that case, Cox will go to CHB (his natural position), Taberner to CHF and Hodor Darcy to FF to work on his forward craft.

I've officially written off Apeness but I hope he proves me wrong and comes back fit and firing. We could do with a 100kg wrecking ball crashing packs up forward.

Picks 2 and 5 - I hope we go with best available talent rather than specific needs. LDU and Stephenson would be ideal. Hopefully Rayner goes at 1 (his lack of a tank is concerning), but gut feel is we'll take Cerra with 2 as he's pretty unique to our other mids. Not keen on any of the KPPs in this years draft (we need to go hard at Dillon O'Reilly next year though).

I'd also love to snare Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan with picks 42 and 66. Kelly is probably a better fit at West Coast but you can never have enough quality midfielders and he's someone that can contribute from round one. Ryan is pretty terrible defensively but if you can fix that part of his game up then he will be an asset. An absolute excitement machine and I can see him transferring his WAFL form at AFL level. Would put some pressure on Matera to perform at least.

Taylin Duman is my smokey to become a regular by the end of the season. He didn't tear games apart at Peel this season, but he was generally pretty consistent and just gets to the right spots and makes good decisions. Very high footy IQ.

valkorum

I am going with this 22

FB: L Ryan, J Hamling, M Johnson
HB: G Logue, A Pearce, N Wilson
MI: S Hill, N Fyfe, B Hill
HF: M Walters, M Taberner, C McCarthy
FF: H Bennell, S Darcy, B Matera
RU: A Sandilands, L Neale, C Blakely
INT: B Cox, D Mundy, D Tucker, Hughes

Langdon, Ballantyne, Deluca, Nyhuis, Grey

I haven't included pick 2 or 5 as you have no idea who we will get - I assume we will get LDU at 2 and could potentially reach for Hayes at 5. 

I dont see Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan on the board for our late picks.  I reckon the Eagles got those 2nd round picks so they can pick up those guys.

valkorum

afl.com.au has had a crack at Freo's best 22

B: Griffin Logue, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr
HB: Nathan Wilson, Michael Johnson, Luke Ryan
C: Stephen Hill, Connor Blakely, Bradley Hill
HF: Michael Walters, Brennan Cox, Harley Bennell
F: Hayden Ballantyne, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera
R: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Lachie Neale
INT: David Mundy, Sean Darcy, Ed Langdon, Ethan Hughes

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-10-23/aflcomau-picks-freos-best-22

Adamant

Quote from: valkorum on October 20, 2017, 11:43:12 AM
I dont see Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan on the board for our late picks.  I reckon the Eagles got those 2nd round picks so they can pick up those guys.

Would be very surprised if Ryan went higher than pick 50ish. He still has plenty of deficiencies in his game. I've also heard there's a bit of an attitude problem there so it wouldn't surprise me to see him slide to the rookie draft.

You may be right on Kelly but not many 23 year olds go in the first two rounds. He could very well be one of the exceptions though.

GoLions

Quote from: Adamant on October 19, 2017, 10:45:58 PM
Taylin Duman is my smokey to become a regular by the end of the season. He didn't tear games apart at Peel this season, but he was generally pretty consistent and just gets to the right spots and makes good decisions. Very high footy IQ.
Yes please

Adamant

Quote from: Adamant on October 19, 2017, 10:45:58 PM
Picks 2 and 5 - I hope we go with best available talent rather than specific needs. LDU and Stephenson would be ideal. Hopefully Rayner goes at 1 (his lack of a tank is concerning), but gut feel is we'll take Cerra with 2 as he's pretty unique to our other mids. Not keen on any of the KPPs in this years draft (we need to go hard at Dillon O'Reilly next year though).

Got Cerra right, although I was expecting him at swapped picks with Brayshaw. Absolutely stoked with Andy though, feels like much less of a flight risk than LDU with his family ties in WA. Could/should be just as good.

Barring injury I think we'll see these two line up in round 1.

newfreofan

From what I hear Crowden is a round 1 ready hard worker, wouldn't be surprised to see him get a nod.

anchorman

Quote from: newfreofan on November 25, 2017, 02:15:50 PM
From what I hear Crowden is a round 1 ready hard worker, wouldn't be surprised to see him get a nod.
He has already played some senior foot in the SANFL.
Built like a bick shizzen hausen. Big thighs, strong upper body.Look ready made.Maybe just being fit enough early on.
It is going to be hard for any of our selections to break into the side that we fielded from last year.Those in there will have to lose their position ,either by bad early form or bad training.
I don't see Matera taking Ballas role early.Ballas will have to play badly or be injured I reckon.
I wonder if we have stolen from under the beak of the Eagles by selecting Scott Jones from East perth.