Hannah Mouncey not eligible for the draft

Started by Ziplock, October 17, 2017, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Quote from: jvalles69 on October 19, 2017, 03:34:14 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 18, 2017, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: Holz on October 18, 2017, 03:12:24 PM
here is an interesting one. What do you think would be the case if a Transgender person born a female wanted to play in the AFL?

I'm all for giving it a crack if they're good enough. I doubt we'll see anyone even attempt it in our lifetimes though- there's never even been an openly gay AFL player... tbh footy clubs can be a really toxic culture like that.

That being said, that doesn't really have anything to do with my views on transgender people,  I also think that women should also be allowed to be able to have a crack at mens comps in general if they're good enough. We'll never see that happen either- might have been a shot in the far future if AFLW hadn't happened :P

We've got a gay guy at our footy club and he fits in pretty well, typical bloke, young dude only about 25, but he comes out for beers with us all the time.  Prob helps his personality is pretty loud and outgoing and doesn't take life too seriously.  No ones ever caused him grief at the club, and our clubs got all sorts, everyone respects him and treats him like part of the team.

I played footy with a gay guy and he used to play it up by getting overly excited and saying "ok boys, let's hit the showers" and stuff like that. Was pretty funny!

jvalles69

Quote from: meow meow on October 19, 2017, 07:01:14 PM
here is an interesting one. What do you think would be the case if a Transgender person born a female wanted to play in the AFL?

I'm all for giving it a crack if they're good enough. I doubt we'll see anyone even attempt it in our lifetimes though- there's never even been an openly gay AFL player... tbh footy clubs can be a really toxic culture like that.

That being said, that doesn't really have anything to do with my views on transgender people,  I also think that women should also be allowed to be able to have a crack at mens comps in general if they're good enough. We'll never see that happen either- might have been a shot in the far future if AFLW hadn't happened :P

We've got a gay guy at our footy club and he fits in pretty well, typical bloke, young dude only about 25, but he comes out for beers with us all the time.  Prob helps his personality is pretty loud and outgoing and doesn't take life too seriously.  No ones ever caused him grief at the club, and our clubs got all sorts, everyone respects him and treats him like part of the team.

I played footy with a gay guy and he used to play it up by getting overly excited and saying "ok boys, let's hit the showers" and stuff like that. Was pretty funny!

Yeah this guy is prob the loosest guy at the club, has a 3qtr time durry at every game.   ;D

Edit: Pun not intended...  :o

Ziplock

Quote from: meow meow on October 19, 2017, 07:01:14 PM

that's pretty funny. I think you have to own it.

I've heard a flower ton of homophobic shower on the field, mostly from opposition players. That being said, I've been called a faggot in training (albeit in a semi joking manner) for wearing a yellow tshirt with a smiley face on it... wouldnt make me feel nice if I was gay, considering that's the first thing a bloke thinks of to try to put off your shot at goal.

It depends what team you play for though- I play for the Sydney Uni team and they're *generally* speaking pretty open minded lads (albeit, I don't know anyone at the club who's gay). If you go out to the western suburbs though though it's a completely different culture.

tbagrocks

As much as I'd like to se her get a go. I think it's fairly irresponsible by Hannah given she did play elite sport in mens competition, then wants to play as a woman, just seems a little selfish to me, given she knows how strong she is and having represented Australia at an Olympics as a man. Nothing against this topic other than the fact I think she is being selfish

I just wonder what some of the smaller AFLW woman would think if Hannah went to tackle them. Nothing against her size at all, I just find it a little bit irresponsible of Hannah to think she has every right to play a full contact sport against woman given she played elite sport as a man

She has every right to and I'd like to see her play, but maybe not a full contact sport like this?

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Ziplock on October 20, 2017, 09:56:47 PM
It depends what team you play for though- I play for the Sydney Uni team and they're *generally* speaking pretty open minded lads (albeit, I don't know anyone at the club who's gay). If you go out to the western suburbs though though it's a completely different culture.
Which division did you play in? Wondering if I played against you this year...

Ziplock

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 21, 2017, 01:36:30 AM

highly unlikely :P I copped 3 shoulder injuries this year so I only got 2 games in div 5  against wests and campbelltown :P

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 20, 2017, 10:59:53 PM
As much as I'd like to se her get a go. I think it's fairly irresponsible by Hannah given she did play elite sport in mens competition, then wants to play as a woman, just seems a little selfish to me, given she knows how strong she is and having represented Australia at an Olympics as a man. Nothing against this topic other than the fact I think she is being selfish

I just wonder what some of the smaller AFLW woman would think if Hannah went to tackle them. Nothing against her size at all, I just find it a little bit irresponsible of Hannah to think she has every right to play a full contact sport against woman given she played elite sport as a man

She has every right to and I'd like to see her play, but maybe not a full contact sport like this?

hormone replacement therapy drops a lot of muscle mass, speed and strength. Size differential is in every sport-  how do you think Caleb Daniel would think if Aaron Sandilands dropped him. I read an article on the SMH about how everyone's fine with transgender athletes so long as they sit to the middle or back of the pack- but god forbid they perform well- I think that's exactly the case here. As I said before, Sarah Perkins is 95kg, there's plenty of elite athletes Hannah's size in international female basketball etc.

Anyway, a cop out. It's nothing to do with selfishness, when she had 10x the testosterone level and was significantly stronger and faster she could compete with men... she'd probably significantly struggle now because of decreased power and speed (I mean, maybe I'm wrong- if she'd been head and shoulders better than everyone in handball, maybe not as much), while she'd be able to be competitive.

People talk about about her being an elite athlete in handball, but tbh handball is a tiny sport.- there's only 3 clubs in qld, 4 in nsw, 4 in vic, none in tassie (and the other associations don't have functioning websites, only fb pages, so it's hard to find out). You're talking about the number of competitors numbering probably less than 10 000 Australia wide, as opposed to 300 000+ female footy players. Representing Aus isn't necessarily as impressive as you'd think.

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Ziplock on October 21, 2017, 02:24:09 PM

highly unlikely :P I copped 3 shoulder injuries this year so I only got 2 games in div 5  against wests and campbelltown :P
I played for wests div 5 :o
Did you play the game at syd uni, or the wests home game?

Ziplock

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 22, 2017, 09:54:50 AM

hahahaha, that's so funny. I played the sydney uni game, were you in that one?

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Ziplock on October 23, 2017, 12:16:18 AM

Yep that's the game I played, where we killed you in the second half to win :P
I also killed one of your players in the first 5 minutes with a tackle. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to play under the "unfair size" rule hahahah

Ziplock

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 23, 2017, 10:34:35 AM

I also killed one of your players in the first 5 minutes with a tackle. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to play under the "unfair size" rule hahahah

Haha, yeah we got wrecked. I blame myself, I was 100% ineffective as a forward :P Did you end up playing in the grandfinal? That would have been a good game to be a magpie :P

Yeah poor Arthur, he was flowered- didn't play for like a month because of concussion. I started the game on the bench and our coach was livid that nobody called out to him that he was about to be poleaxed :P

I mean, we laugh, but the size and weight discrepancy between you and Arthur is probably bigger than between Hannah and most AFLW players :P

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Ziplock on October 24, 2017, 05:32:35 PM

Haha, yeah we got wrecked. I blame myself, I was 100% ineffective as a forward :P Did you end up playing in the grandfinal? That would have been a good game to be a magpie :P

Yeah poor Arthur, he was flowered- didn't play for like a month because of concussion. I started the game on the bench and our coach was livid that nobody called out to him that he was about to be poleaxed :P

I mean, we laugh, but the size and weight discrepancy between you and Arthur is probably bigger than between Hannah and most AFLW players :P
Sadly nah I got dropped for the finals, even though I played half my games for the year in the div 2 team. Probably something to do with flying off to the states for a few weeks before the finals started, so I came back fat and unfit  ;D But was pretty disappointed not to play. Didn't stop me from celebrating though!

Yeah poor kid, I felt pretty bad about it, but it was a fair tackle, just as you said huge size difference between us. I went over to check on him after taking my free and he was just lying there saying "rainbow" over and over again :o Would have been awkward if that had been you haha!

If you were playing in the forward line I wonder if I played on you for a bit??

Ziplock

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 24, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

Sadly nah I got dropped for the finals, even though I played half my games for the year in the div 2 team. Probably something to do with flying off to the states for a few weeks before the finals started, so I came back fat and unfit  ;D But was pretty disappointed not to play. Didn't stop me from celebrating though!

Yeah poor kid, I felt pretty bad about it, but it was a fair tackle, just as you said huge size difference between us. I went over to check on him after taking my free and he was just lying there saying "rainbow" over and over again :o Would have been awkward if that had been you haha!

dude, I actually think you were my direct opponent for a bit because I remember you saying that to me about him just saying rainbow. In the second half I was just parked in the goalsquare- are you like tall with dark hair? I'm relatively tall and pretty lanky :P

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Ziplock on October 24, 2017, 11:12:59 PM
Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 24, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

dude, I actually think you were my direct opponent for a bit because I remember you saying that to me about him just saying rainbow. In the second half I was just parked in the goalsquare- are you like tall with dark hair? I'm relatively tall and pretty lanky :P
Haha oh how funny. Yeah I'm tall with dark hair, but if you were in the goal square for the second half then you would have been playing against another guy who we just put back there because he is absolutely rubbish haha. He's also tall with dark hair but has no coordination or skill, yet thinks he should be playing in higher grades  ::)