Lachie Weller - Apparently requests trade home to GC

Started by valkorum, October 16, 2017, 01:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchorman

From what I can gather Fremantle are prepared to play hard ball on this one and maybe keep him to his contract.
Maybe they are looking at luring Jack Martin as a trade!!!!A WA boy to bring home.

elephants

There's no chance GC will entertain the thought of giving up 2 or Martin in any deal involving Weller unfortunately.

I think

Freo get Wilson
GWS get pick 21 (from GC)
GC get Weller

GC win this deal, but Weller wants to go home and has knocked back Freo's contract extension.

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2017, 05:07:37 PM
There's no chance GC will entertain the thought of giving up 2 or Martin in any deal involving Weller unfortunately.

I think

Freo get Wilson
GC get Weller

GC win this deal, but Weller wants to go home and has knocked back Freo's contract extension.

I would hate this deal. 

elephants

Quote from: valkorum on October 16, 2017, 05:09:38 PM

I think

Freo get Wilson
GC get Weller

I would hate this deal.

You wouldn't be alone, but I don't see any other realistic alternatives unfortunately.

anchorman

Only other thing is that Fremantle hold him to his contract and make him deal next year.
But that is not a good scenario for either party.
I guess we will have to see if Fremantle have the gonads to hold out, or lose em and fold.

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2017, 05:14:53 PM
You wouldn't be alone, but I don't see any other realistic alternatives unfortunately.

There are plenty of options

5 and Weller for 2
5 and Weller for 2 and 21
Future 1st for Weller

@anchorman.  If we make a deal this season we will get more than what we could probably get next season.  Makes sense for us to deal this season.

elephants

Quote from: valkorum on October 16, 2017, 05:20:13 PM

There are plenty of options

5 and Weller for 2
5 and Weller for 2 and 21
Future 1st for Weller

A very key part of negotiation is that both parties accept. GC will almost certainly not accept any of those

valkorum

This is the 1st time anyone has requested to go to the GC - they will want to get a deal done for that reason alone.

Plus he is 21, will be there the rest of his career.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: valkorum on October 16, 2017, 05:09:38 PM

I think

Freo get Wilson
GC get Weller

I would hate this deal.

That deal is what I suggested would happen too, and I don't see a problem with it

Weller looks like he could go alright, but I think some of you are over valuing his market value. Might be a bit of Freo/Weller/FF love/bias

Weller went at 13, and Lever went at 14, and I don't think I am out of line by saying Lever is worth a shower ton more than Weller is right now, so getting Wilson for Weller isn't bad at all imo

Maybe Wilson + a Pick in the 35-50 range would be right, but Wilson for Weller in a straight swap is hardly horrible

valkorum

Lachie Weller has played every game the last 2 seasons, pushed his average disposals from 10 (2015) to 15 (2016) to 20 (2017) per game.

He is 3 years younger than Wilson but only played 30 games less
He will be a midfielder/half forward where as Wilson will only be a rebounding half back (which we do need)
Fremantle obviously rated him highly seeing as we offered him a 4 year contract extension.

There might be some Freo love bias but its warranted.  He has improved his output every year.  He has amazing pace

anchorman

Maybe you are underestimating his playing ability  because he is a Fremantle player.It seems our players are under valued when it comes to other supporters talking about them.
Make no mistake Stuie will be licking his lips at he chance to get Weller up there.

GoLions

I really like Weller, but Wilson is a very good player as well. Straight swap would be fine for Freo imo.

elephants

Quote from: GoLions on October 16, 2017, 06:09:18 PM
I really like Weller, but Wilson is a very good player as well. Straight swap would be fine for Freo imo.

+1

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: GoLions on October 16, 2017, 06:09:18 PM

Exactly what I was saying :)

Adamant

The thing is, we would have got Wilson through an alternative/cheaper avenue before Weller requested a trade, so whilst a straight swap isn't a bad outcome in isolation, overall we'd be losing out.

Weller was a former pick 13 and hasn't lost any value. And he's contracted. We'd be stupid to hold him to his contract but we need to get as much value out of him as possible (and rightly so).