Simple Rules for succeeding in AFL Fantasy

Started by crowls, October 13, 2017, 01:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowls

RUOK,   no I am bloody not OK.... :-[

Ok this was my 2nd season of AFL and RDT.   Compared to SC I am a doofus.   For the life of me I have not worked out an effective approach to playing these games and it is pissing me off.   So can an experienced coach please provide some guidelines.

7 simple rules to setting to AFL Fantasy etc.
Topic 1.   Setting up your teams - GNR,
Topic 2.   Trading strategies
Topic 3.   tips and tricks.  ie in SC it is necessary to learn about loopholing.  What are the tips for AFL and RDT.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.    My mental health is at stake.

Peter

Crowls
I don’t claim to have all the knowledge, but have done reasonably well for last two seasons in RDT and AF.

My advice starts with structure for RDT being similar to SC in that you have linited trades, so GNR is the structure. Use DT Live site to research your players and try and get the main scorer from the major teams as they will be scoring the points, whereas in SC it is the player having the most impact on the game eg Macrae, Adams c/w Bont and Pendles

Trading strategies  - similar to SC, however, with 4 points for tackles and 6 points for mark and kick, possessions are paramount. For example Hawthorn’s keepings off game, Carlton’s possession game and in 2016 Bulldogs possession and tackling game

Tips - loopholing just as important as in SC. Look for possession and tackling based players eg in 2018 I believe Redden, Adams, Macrae will do well. Obviously, planning for byes is relatively important at the start of the season and increasingly important as they come closer. The last two seasons I have moved up hundreds of positions in the bye rounds.

AF - the difference here is the ability to have two trades every week. The team structure is basically the same as RDT as possession and tackle based. Another difference is the loss of loopholing as an option, so ensure you have your C and VC sorted come the first game. Lastly, the loss of one midfielder and an extra ruck makes things harder. Lastly, the higher prices for players is another hurdle.

In this game, I look 2-3 games ahead to see who has special games (eg Selwood’s 250th in R1), who has interstate games and don’t normally do well (St Kilda, Neale, West Coast) and trade them/their players out, whereas in SC and TDT, you just have to hold and hope.

So, just some clues and good luck - just as I will need; injuries are always a killer

crowls

Peter,  you are a legend mate.   

How is loophole used in RDT.   Does RDT have the same cut offs as SC, cause I am sure when I tried to move players mid round I was not able too.

Will create a new spreadsheet based on possession data especially tackles, marks and kicks and generate a new team.   

AF - i got lost in trading as I could not determine when the right time to bring a rookie in.   Here they score from 1st game dont they?   So it is worth jumping the gun compared to SC.

Peter

Yes, couldn’t fit everything thing in.

Loophole for RDT same as SC

Sorry, price changes in AF count from first game, so you have to know the players and what sort of game they play. That’s why FF is fantastic as I mentioned Alex Pearce on another thread and a Freo supporter was able to advise 197cm defender and his role, so unlikely to score much and not get cheap points through tackles. As you can trade two every week, you can gradually build your team easier than the other two competitions, imo, as you can quickly trade out injured or loss of form players (Hunter, Libba) for hot streak players (interstate clubs with games at home eg Neale, Kelly or Geelong, who have a lot of games at home in the back half of the 2018 season)

Good luck - join a few of the AF leagues; Buddy Good finished 4th overall in 2017, for example