Main Menu

Priddis calls it a day.

Started by anchorman, July 28, 2017, 05:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchorman

Matt Priddis has announced his retirement from football at seasons end.
A played not quick of foot, but a footballer who had great hands and good decision making.He was a footballer, not an athlete.He got the most out of himself and deserved every accolade he has received and will get in the future.
Well played young man.

Torpedo10

A champion, and a Brownlow Medallist.  :)

Sad day to see this great retire.

anchorman

Not sure he is a great.A great Eagles player, but not a great AFL player. A very good player, but not great.

Torpedo10

Quote from: anchorman on July 28, 2017, 07:09:06 PM
Not sure he is a great.A great Eagles player, but not a great AFL player. A very good player, but not great.
He won a Brownlow mate.  :P

anchorman

That is a fact I can't dispute, but plenty of players have won the medal who maybe shouldn't have.And I am not saying he didn't deserve his.But he is far far from a great of the AFL.
A great of your football club, but not of the AFL .a huge difference.

jvalles69

Quote from: anchorman on July 29, 2017, 12:45:03 AM
That is a fact I can't dispute, but plenty of players have won the medal who maybe shouldn't have.And I am not saying he didn't deserve his.But he is far far from a great of the AFL.

I get what you're saying, but he did win a Brownlow and then come runner up the following year.  Wasn't a fluke, like...can't even remember their names, haha, the bulldogs ranga and collingwood blondie...for some reason their names escape me right now, lol, I've been awake for too long!  :P

However I agree that he won't come even close to being a legend of the game.

anchorman

jvalles69

Torpedo10

Quote from: anchorman on July 29, 2017, 12:45:03 AM
I'm not an Eagles supporter.  ;)

However I'd consider almost every Brownlow winner a champion of the AFL, maybe not one of the greats but a champion nonetheless.

RaisyDaisy

Priddis came off the rookie list to have an excellent career and win a Brownlow

His consistency over such a long period of time was amazing. Prior to this year, he never put in a poor game

He will go down as a Champion AFL player, and one of the Greats for WCE, but not the AFL

Who cares tbh, he was a gun for us and that's all that matters :)

Ringo

Agree a great player for Eagles but will in my opinion be well down the list as great AFL PLayers. Niot all Brownlow Winners are great AFL players eg Jason Akermanis won one as well but I would place him well below Michael Voss and Simon Black as great AFL Players.

GoLions

Quote from: Ringo on July 29, 2017, 02:38:21 PM
Agree a great player for Eagles but will in my opinion be well down the list as great AFL PLayers. Niot all Brownlow Winners are great AFL players eg Jason Akermanis won one as well but I would place him well below Michael Voss and Simon Black as great AFL Players.
Well, i wouldn't say he was wellll below. Aker was an absolute star in his prime and falls just short of Voss and Blacky for me.

anchorman

Aker was a waaaaayy better player than Priddis could ever wish to be.
Three time premiership player in what has been considered the best AFL team of the modern era.AA four times.Lions leading goal kicker 2004.
Now he was a great player,never in the shadow of the  likes od Voss, Black and a few others.
Pridda a great player for the Eagles FCC, but certainly not an AFL great.

Rusty00

It's kind of funny how this thread has turned into a debate on how "non-great" Matt Priddis was ::)

Gigantor

Regardless of his level of greatness I'm glad he was in our team for 12 years rather than not

Plus by getting him for nothing in the rookie draft it allowed us to use our main draft picks on champions like Spangher and Ben McKinley   ;D ;D ;D