EXV Important Announcement

Started by Holz, June 20, 2017, 10:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

It's taken me a good three years to refine it under 20 minutes :P glad I can help

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 20, 2017, 02:52:26 PM
It's taken me a good three years to refine it under 20 minutes :P glad I can help

you should see me back in the old euro days. the day before eruo night i had all my pieces of paper in a pile, with my calcualtor.

no joke i spent 12-16 hours on it, in one day.

elephants

Quote from: Holz on June 20, 2017, 02:56:30 PM

you should see me back in the old euro days. the day before eruo night i had all my pieces of paper in a pile, with my calcualtor.

Back when Euro was at its peak. Can't expect someone to spend that long on it though in this day and age.

Cheers for all the work Holz, its been fun.

If only FF paid XV admins, even a little bit, how much more activity and effort would we be looking at :P

@m0nty

GoLions

Quote from: elephants on June 20, 2017, 03:08:03 PM

Back when Euro was at its peak. Can't expect someone to spend that long on it though in this day and age.

If only FF paid XV admins, even a little bit, how much more activity and effort would we be looking at :P

@m0nty
I am willing to accept payment for my services in BXVs

Rids

Quote from: Holz on June 20, 2017, 02:50:53 PM
Quote from: Rids on June 20, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
Is there any reason why something like UF hasnt been used to assist with the scoring for this comp as well as draw and ladder etc?

I find it a very useful tool when doing the weekly match-ups. I just go in on a Saturday morning and adjust the teams to the ones named on the fanfooty forum thread and then on a Tuesday evening adjust the scoring of the match-ups with what needs to be adjusted (half scoring for OOP players, HGA etc). Takes me half an hour or so for both activities. The system then calculates the ladder as per the adjusted match-up scores. It really is very very easy to do.

In AXV, the thread here on fanfooty is the source of truth but we try and encourage people to log on to UF weekly to make sure their teams match.

I contemplated it but Purps method is just soo much better. if people name their teams in the goolge doc with correct spelling according to purp it can all be done in under 20 minutes.

it also means if everything runs well this year in the offseason i can add some fun things back in, like Euro's medal, rising star etc..

it could be all auto calculated.

the time consuming thing is putting teams in the spreadsheet. Say it takes 2 minutes per team thats 30 minutes on that.

My old scoring method took around 1.5 hours.

so all up it was taking 2 hours a week just to get scores. If that can be cut to under 20 minutes then thats huge for me.

Sorry I am confused a little here. Wouldn't a rule of everyone needs to name their team on the thread and the google doc eliminate this? That could be a simple vote to get through I would have thought. Currently it is painful to do so I don't but if it is a rule then I would make sure I did it.

Holz

Quote from: Rids on June 20, 2017, 03:10:32 PM
Is there any reason why something like UF hasnt been used to assist with the scoring for this comp as well as draw and ladder etc?

I find it a very useful tool when doing the weekly match-ups. I just go in on a Saturday morning and adjust the teams to the ones named on the fanfooty forum thread and then on a Tuesday evening adjust the scoring of the match-ups with what needs to be adjusted (half scoring for OOP players, HGA etc). Takes me half an hour or so for both activities. The system then calculates the ladder as per the adjusted match-up scores. It really is very very easy to do.

In AXV, the thread here on fanfooty is the source of truth but we try and encourage people to log on to UF weekly to make sure their teams match.

I contemplated it but Purps method is just soo much better. if people name their teams in the goolge doc with correct spelling according to purp it can all be done in under 20 minutes.

it also means if everything runs well this year in the offseason i can add some fun things back in, like Euro's medal, rising star etc..

the time consuming thing is putting teams in the spreadsheet. Say it takes 2 minutes per team thats 30 minutes on that.

so all up it was taking 2 hours a week just to get scores. If that can be cut to under 20 minutes then thats huge for me.

Sorry I am confused a little here. Wouldn't a rule of everyone needs to name their team on the thread and the google doc eliminate this? That could be a simple vote to get through I would have thought. Currently it is painful to do so I don't but if it is a rule then I would make sure I did it.

well i dont really want to make it a rule, just a very strong suggestion.

Rids

Quote from: Holz on June 20, 2017, 03:15:27 PM
Quote from: Rids on June 20, 2017, 03:10:32 PM

well i dont really want to make it a rule, just a very strong suggestion.

Making it a strong suggestion however means someone like me has a choice. A. go home after a full week at work and do family things like cook/eat dinner etc OR B. spend another 5 to 10 minutes on a mobile adding the players to a google doc.

If it is a rule then I don't have a choice. To name my team I have to do option B.

Nige

I mean, without trying to sound like a complete dick who wants to see Euros die, I can't help but feel like we're delaying the inevitable here.

The facts are that really poor work on the part of admin resulted in the comp deteriorating to a point where coaches lost more of their interest and most are now borderline inactive. If the admin doesn't care, the coaches won't either.

Holz wants to hand over admin duties to somebody else so he can banter because apparently that will help revive the comp. Who is he bantering with? The coaches that literally just show up to post their team in the weekly thread if that and there aren't seen until they're required to do the same the following week? And then, even the ones who do occasionally have errors in their team or make the post late because they didn't have time.

Holz also told me he spends a bulk of his time on FF on his phone. Fair enough, I'm sure a lot of us do. But that time is allocated towards everything but Euros such as posting in the P&T sections and talking shower in Worlds. Again fair enough, you can't really admin a comp on your phone. And that my friends is another significant issue, Holz gets limited time on a PC and that's been the case for a while. You can't admin a competition with limited time.

It's as much of a culture issue as anything else and you can't just flip that with a new admin and a slight change in how scores are recorded.

GoLions

I'd like to put my hand up as the new coach of the Swiss Storm

nas

Quote from: nas on June 20, 2017, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Holz on June 20, 2017, 10:58:12 AM
In light of Nige's post I wanted to address something.

I have already received a PM on a possible solution to the admin issue. Now assuming that this fixes the comp up scoring and administration wise, which will be tested this year as the admin will be joining now.

Do people want the comp to continue next year?

I will put up a poll.

It is of my opinion that the scoring situation has been the major factor in the drop in interest. I can't run a comp alone but i can improve the banter when the admin side of it is all up and running.

please share your thoughts.

Just to let you all know, being an offsider to LH with the Bison have put my hand up to help out. Currently doing this with AXV & thinking (IMO) we in partnership with others are turning that comp around.
Saying this, don't give up on EXV, let's see how this goes, & then decide.
PS: "Coach in Waiting" nas
Quote from: GoLions on June 20, 2017, 03:43:27 PM

There's a que & it's a far away!  :P

LF

Quote from: GoLions on June 20, 2017, 03:43:27 PM

oi no chance you are defecting to any team coach or assistant coach :P

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: elephants on June 20, 2017, 03:08:03 PM

@m0nty

Id happily pay purps a yearly adminning fee :P

Ziplock

I'd like to thank Holz for all the hard work he's put into Euros over the years, it hasn't been easy, but without him we would have had to deal with the pleb scoring system of the other fantasy competitons #SuperCoachMoreLikeWhataJoke

I'm hoping the competition can continue. I'd offer to run it, but I have like no time these days either :(

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on June 20, 2017, 08:07:27 PM
I'd like to thank Holz for all the hard work he's put into Euros over the years, it hasn't been easy, but without him we would have had to deal with the pleb scoring system of the other fantasy competitons #SuperCoachMoreLikeWhataJoke

I'm hoping the competition can continue. I'd offer to run it, but I have like no time these days either :(

At the moment the current plan is a Holz/nas alliance with the help of some spreadshet skills by Purple to cut the admin time 83%

Spinking

I am unfortunately one of those coaches described by Nige who, despite best intentions, doesn't get on much aside from to post teams, and do a bit of trading and drafting in the offseason.

Having said that, I am really happy that a solution has been found to keep the EXV alive.  Awesome that NAS will get involved, and Holz will get the support he needs. Happy to do whatever is needed to assist with making the score tallying a bit easier.

I'm not as active on FF as I was in years gone by, and I must admit that the EXV and its coaches are pretty much the reason I'm still involved. I've had 2 teams, been an assistant at 2 others, and watched the development of both players and squads with much pride. More importantly, I've met a number of sensational folks who I consider to be friends. Id hate to lose my main reason to check in here.

While I get where Nige is coming from, I do believe that by getting the scoring sorted, the banter will increase and there will be greater buy in.