EXV Important Announcement

Started by Holz, June 20, 2017, 10:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

almost 6 years ago I started the Euro competition as a 21 year old kid fresh recently graduated from uni looking for a job. Fast forward 6 years and im living in a new state, in a full time job and working part time in media. Having gone through 2 euro teams, 20+ coaches, 1 spoon a whole lot, the most dominate team of all time never to win a flag and my eventual breakthrough Premiership with the Hulks. 

I was up half of the night thinking of this decision but it is with great sadness that i am announcing that I will be stepping down as admin of Euro when this season is over. It is a move that honestly I have wanted to make for a few years but with nobody to take over I continued onward to the detriment of myself and more importantly this competition.

As my free time got more and more rare as the years have gone on the Euro has sadly become more of a burden then a joy to me and i think its unfair to myself and unfair to the competition to continue to be in charge of it. It has become quite evident that I dont have the time to run this competition properly.

I would like to thank everyone who has been part of the competition especially those that have been here from the start. A even bigger thank you to the people who have helped out in the running of the comp. Spite, Spinking, HP, Nige and many others.

As people know the scores are not up to date and I appologise for this, I took abit of a break during the byes thinking i could catch up this week, but have been hit with soo many commitments that the only time i had to sacrifice was sleeping time and for the sake of my career I did not do this.

I will be slowly going through the scores, i think updating it team by team will be the quickest method. If you can pitch in making sure all your team scores and 1 or 2 others if you have the time that would be fantastic. I know many of you do this every week and it is much appreciated. I again apologise for the delay and I have done this way too many times.

Of course I would like this competition to continue and if anyone wants to take it over then I will fully support them in whatever way I can. If nobody can then unfortunately the comp will need to end as I feel keeping it on life support is more of an insult to the effort and passion people have put in over the years then to let it end.

I know that I certainly wasn't the best admin in terms of scores, updating lists etc.. but I hope I brought some enjoyment to your fan footy experience. I wish I could have done more, but as the longest standing Admin of a XV I gave it my all. I still remember the legendary days of the awards night with my complicated vote calculator and Hawka up on the mic.

LaHug

Thanks for everything, Holz. As someone in a similar position in terms of age, career, and moving interstate, I completely understand that time is precious and have no ill-feelings at all. I hope the comp can continue and that someone with more time than me can step up to take over. Assuming it does continue, I'm hoping you'll still compete.

Cheers mate :)

Holz

Quote from: LaHug on June 20, 2017, 10:29:39 AM
Thanks for everything, Holz. As someone in a similar position in terms of age, career, and moving interstate, I completely understand that time is precious and have no ill-feelings at all. I hope the comp can continue and that someone with more time than me can step up to take over. Assuming it does continue, I'm hoping you'll still compete.

Cheers mate :)

Thanks Lahuge :P

I do really think we have a great thing going on here in the Euro, the weak link is me and im sure if the comp is ran by someone else or another team next year then it will dramatically improve. I might not be a good admin but i think im a pretty good coach and  if im not admin watch the banter fly.

Nige

Thanks for your efforts over the years Holz. Obviously this would have been an extremely hard decision to make and I'm glad that you were brave enough to come out and do so, it's definitely something difficult to do (I've been an admin of comps before myself so I 100% know where you're coming from).

This post comes at an interesting time if I'm honest, because I was looking at the general Euros activity and how the comp was being administrated and was going to create a post of my own about this (so I apologise if this derails or takes away from the importance of this thread). I might just drop in a more condensed version of my originally planned post.

I think it's no secret that Euros has been struggling a little bit for a few years now. General activity, hype, banter etc has been pretty much completely lost. In my opinion, that's no way for a comp to be run or supported. The truth is, the only real commitment a coach has for a bulk of the season/year is naming their team every week. In some cases, people struggle to do that. When that becomes an issue, it's not only to the detriment of their team but the competition too.

We have a 14 team competition, smallest of the XVs. Unfortunately, these days there isn't nearly as much interest of activity in the competitions which should come as no surprise as we all get older, have more commitments or just generally don't have the time or interest to wholeheartedly continue. A few of the coaches in the competition at present pretty much exclusive come on to post their teams every week, some even struggle with that. Others are pretty much only active in XVs competitions, the others are a bit more active beyond these boards.

Honestly, and I hate to be the person to say this, but it might genuinely be for the best if Euros did come to an end. At this point, we need a new admin. I'm sure there are a couple of coaches who have at some point considered giving up their team (whether it be in the past, during the season/now or at the end of the year). As previously mentioned, interest in joining comps like this isn't what it used to be, and the fact that this place is just about on life support as Holz mentioned, isn't exactly attractive. The best way I can think about putting it is that really, the main positive is that it's almost one less burden or chore. It allows people to commit more time to their other teams, their lives or whatever they do with their time.

Naturally, if anyone has the time to commit to running Euros properly and giving it a bit more life than I'd personally be fine with seeing it go on and continuing to partake but I assume I'm not alone in wanting what is truly best for the comp moving forward.  :)

Holz

In light of Nige's post I wanted to address something.

I have already received a PM on a possible solution to the admin issue. Now assuming that this fixes the comp up scoring and administration wise, which will be tested this year as the admin will be joining now.

Do people want the comp to continue next year?

I will put up a poll.

It is of my opinion that the scoring situation has been the major factor in the drop in interest. I can't run a comp alone but i can improve the banter when the admin side of it is all up and running.

please share your thoughts.

Holz

By the way if anyone was thinking of stepping down as a coach please PM me that you woudl be happy to leave now or at the end of the year. As much notice as possible is appreciated.

nas

Quote from: Holz on June 20, 2017, 10:58:12 AM
In light of Nige's post I wanted to address something.

I have already received a PM on a possible solution to the admin issue. Now assuming that this fixes the comp up scoring and administration wise, which will be tested this year as the admin will be joining now.

Do people want the comp to continue next year?

I will put up a poll.

It is of my opinion that the scoring situation has been the major factor in the drop in interest. I can't run a comp alone but i can improve the banter when the admin side of it is all up and running.

please share your thoughts.

Just to let you all know, being an offsider to LH with the Bison have put my hand up to help out. Currently doing this with AXV & thinking (IMO) we in partnership with others are turning that comp around.
Saying this, don't give up on EXV, let's see how this goes, & then decide.
PS: "Coach in Waiting" nas

Purple 77

As I just said to Holz, really respect and understand the decision. Once it eats up the time you spend sleeping, then a decision should be made.

Watchin on with interest as to what happens next.

Nige

Think the 4th option in the poll might not be worded right?

Holz

Quote from: Nige on June 20, 2017, 11:30:21 AM
Think the 4th option in the poll might not be worded right?

yep changed.

Hellopplz

Holz

ok so Nas has kindly offered to come on board.

It is the scoring that I hate and the fact that it drains me every week (or when I do it) is the reason why my overall admin work is soo poor.

Purp has very kindly offered me the worlds method of doing scores and let me tell you it completely changes things.

Spite was brilliant in the off season creating a google doc, which drastically improved on my writing it all down on paper method.

Purps way of putting in scores as another huge leap. and im going to test it out but it could mean that I could get scores up Firday Saturday and Sunday with 25% of the effort that i currently do.

So i miay continue on as admin with this new information. What would really really help though is once we are all good to go to make sure you post in the Goolge Doc. I find its actualyl easier as you have your team from last week so can copy and paste and make a few changes.

Holz

This year will be the test under the new system and with Nas on board.

If im finding it easy to get the admin up for the rest of the season then there is no longer any reason why the Euro cant continue.

If i can get scores up a few times on the weekend so people can actually see how they are going and banter back then we will go on next year.

please be patient while the new system is being implemented im going through it now with purps.

Rids

Is there any reason why something like UF hasnt been used to assist with the scoring for this comp as well as draw and ladder etc?

I find it a very useful tool when doing the weekly match-ups. I just go in on a Saturday morning and adjust the teams to the ones named on the fanfooty forum thread and then on a Tuesday evening adjust the scoring of the match-ups with what needs to be adjusted (half scoring for OOP players, HGA etc). Takes me half an hour or so for both activities. The system then calculates the ladder as per the adjusted match-up scores. It really is very very easy to do.

In AXV, the thread here on fanfooty is the source of truth but we try and encourage people to log on to UF weekly to make sure their teams match.

Holz

Quote from: Rids on June 20, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
Is there any reason why something like UF hasnt been used to assist with the scoring for this comp as well as draw and ladder etc?

I find it a very useful tool when doing the weekly match-ups. I just go in on a Saturday morning and adjust the teams to the ones named on the fanfooty forum thread and then on a Tuesday evening adjust the scoring of the match-ups with what needs to be adjusted (half scoring for OOP players, HGA etc). Takes me half an hour or so for both activities. The system then calculates the ladder as per the adjusted match-up scores. It really is very very easy to do.

In AXV, the thread here on fanfooty is the source of truth but we try and encourage people to log on to UF weekly to make sure their teams match.

I contemplated it but Purps method is just soo much better. if people name their teams in the goolge doc with correct spelling according to purp it can all be done in under 20 minutes.

it also means if everything runs well this year in the offseason i can add some fun things back in, like Euro's medal, rising star etc..

it could be all auto calculated.

the time consuming thing is putting teams in the spreadsheet. Say it takes 2 minutes per team thats 30 minutes on that.

My old scoring method took around 1.5 hours.

so all up it was taking 2 hours a week just to get scores. If that can be cut to under 20 minutes then thats huge for me.