Main Menu

The 2017 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Pkbaldy, June 19, 2017, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pkbaldy

Time to start this old girl again for this season. Caught up with all of my U18s articles and footage, I have a much different view about this season so far... To me it seems super shallow. But it is still early, lets just hope a few more gems come out of no where.

I'll do a super early top 20 now, something for myself to look back at just before the draft.

1. Darcy Fogarty - Inside Mid/Forward
2. Cameron Rayner - General Forward
3. Jarrod Brander - Key Defender
4. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Inside Midfielder
5. Connor Ballenden - Key Forward/Ruck
6. Noah Balta - Key Forward/Key Defender
7. Lochie O'Brien - Outside Midfielder
8. Hunter Clark - Inside Mid/Rebounding Defender
9. Jaidyn Stephenson - General Forward
10. Jack Higgins - General Forward / Outside Mid
11. Sam Hayes - Ruck / Key Forward
12. Adam Cerra - Inside Midfielder
13. James Worpel - Inside Midfielder
14. Patrick Naish - Outside Midfielder
15. Charlie Spargo - Balanced Midfielder
16. Paddy Dow - Balanced Midfielder
17. Nicholas Coffield - General Defender
18. Cassidy Parish - Inside Midfielder
19. Jack Petruccelle - Inside Midfielder
20. Callum Coleman-Jones - Key Forward/Ruck

Really liking the look at a handful of the under ages, next year is going to be a good draft.

Nige

Can't wait for Naish to turn up at Tigerland.  8)

Hawka

Quote from: Pkbaldy on June 19, 2017, 07:48:51 PM
Time to start this old girl again for this season. Caught up with all of my U18s articles and footage, I have a much different view about this season so far... To me it seems super shallow. But it is still early, lets just hope a few more gems come out of no where.

I'll do a super early top 20 now, something for myself to look back at just before the draft.

1. Darcy Fogarty - Inside Mid/Forward
2. Cameron Rayner - General Forward
3. Jarrod Brander - Key Defender
4. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Inside Midfielder
5. Connor Ballenden - Key Forward/Ruck
6. Noah Balta - Key Forward/Key Defender
7. Lochie O'Brien - Outside Midfielder
8. Hunter Clark - Inside Mid/Rebounding Defender
9. Jaidyn Stephenson - General Forward
10. Jack Higgins - General Forward / Outside Mid
11. Sam Hayes - Ruck / Key Forward
12. Adam Cerra - Inside Midfielder
13. James Worpel - Inside Midfielder
14. Patrick Naish - Outside Midfielder
15. Charlie Spargo - Balanced Midfielder
16. Paddy Dow - Balanced Midfielder
17. Nicholas Coffield - General Defender
18. Cassidy Parish - Inside Midfielder
19. Jack Petruccelle - Inside Midfielder
20. Callum Coleman-Jones - Key Forward/Ruck

Really liking the look at a handful of the under ages, next year is going to be a good draft.
My uncle is mates with Unakies uncle, absolute jet, always get the ball and kicks goals, even when his side is getting smashed

Toga

Good work PK, good way to keep up to date!

Gigantor

Good win by WA today
Ian Hill did some very nice things, a run off halfback finished with a pin point pass to a half forward late in the game was magnificent.

Ringo

Vinny

Charlie Constable/Andy Brayshaw PK?

Money Shot

Really hoping we Davies-Uniacke ends up at Carlton. Kid looks like a gun.

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-july-edition

A few interesting additions here.

Sorry Money if Lions stick to their strategy of last year Davies-Uniacke may end up in Brisbane. To counter the go home factor we recruited country players rather than city based players.

tbagrocks

Looks like Adelaide will be able to steal classy J Edwards for chips! Much as we did Jars son! 8) But Jackson will not be a rookie pick steal :P

I'd be expecting someone to bid for Jackson Edwards between the picks #15 too #35 ish. Surely too skilful to let him slip past that?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Ringo on July 07, 2017, 10:21:04 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-july-edition

A few interesting additions here.

Sorry Money if Lions stick to their strategy of last year Davies-Uniacke may end up in Brisbane. To counter the go home factor we recruited country players rather than city based players.

I reckon you'll be right here Ringo. DU to Lions would fit in very well too.

As would Rayner to North Melbourne.

Pkbaldy

Gigantor

Quote from: Pkbaldy on July 16, 2017, 02:07:31 PM
Will Sutherland chooses Cricket over AFL.

The kid was a good good chance of going in the first round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/will-sutherland-will-pursue-professional-cricket-career-over-afl/news-story/4b774f7f88eb2656eab643d68bff9296

Plenty of openings in Australian cricket at the moment haha

Nige

Quote from: Gigantor on July 16, 2017, 02:52:57 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on July 16, 2017, 02:07:31 PM
Will Sutherland chooses Cricket over AFL.

The kid was a good good chance of going in the first round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/will-sutherland-will-pursue-professional-cricket-career-over-afl/news-story/4b774f7f88eb2656eab643d68bff9296

Plenty of openings in Australian cricket at the moment haha
Dad will see that he gets a run sooner or later.

Pkbaldy

Now that it's after the home and away season, I like to relook at some highlight vids, and some games from the youngsters.
Gladly say, my first draft isn't as good as my previous years. Missed a fair bit. And with a few injuries, it'll see a couple of guys drop off (Fogarty, Coleman-Jones). And now we know the first 10 picks; it'll start to shape in less then a couple of months before the combine.

Top 20;
1. Cameron Rayner - General Forward/Inside Mid
2. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Inside Midfielder
3. Paddy Dow - Balanced Midfielder
4. Adam Cerra - Inside Midfielder
5. Sam Hayes - Ruck/KP Forward
6. Darcy Fogarty - Balanced Mid/ General Forward
7. Jaidyn Stephenson - General Forward/ Outside Midfielder
8. Jack Higgins - Balanced Mid (Will most likely be drafted as a small forward)
9. Jarrod Brander - KP Swingman
10. Nick Coffield - Rebound Defener
11. Hunter Clark - Inside Midfielder
12. Oscar Allen - KP Defender
13. Charlie Constable - General Defender
14. Lochie O'Brien - Outside Midfielder
15. Patrick Naish - Outside Midfielder
16. Aaron Naughton - KP Defender
17. Joel Garner - Balanced Midfielder
18. Noah Balta - KP Swingman
19. Connor Ballenden - KP Defender (Bris Academy)
20. Andrew Brayshaw - Inside Midfielder

Fair few changes since 2 months ago. But I reckon the top talent in this draft is still really good. But not long after pick 25, the talent will drop off significantly. As compared to next years draft, which I can see being a potential 2013 super draft.

Mock Draft (Those not in finals);
1. Brisbane - Paddy Dow - Brisbane seemed to have worked out their problem with drafting out of state kids. Don't draft the whiny little girls from the city. Get big strong country boys. And I reckon Brisbane will do just this for the 1st pick this year. Dow might not be the best player, but he's an easy top 5 choice and will be a good fit in that Brisbane midfield.
Other Possibilities; LDU, Rayner

2. Gold Coast - Luke Davies-Uniacke - Gold Coast will be looking for another big bodied midfielder, to try and fill the void of Ablett and O'Meara. With Will Brodie, Hall, Swallow; LDU will be a great choice to finally help GC rise on the ladder once he gets a few good AFL games into him. Quicker learner, great player.
Other Possibilities; Rayner, Dow

3. Carlton - Cameron Rayner - Kid is going to be a beast, so no way Carlton would let him slip. Might play his first season or 2 in the forward line (Unless Gibbs leaves), and then transition next to Cripps to dominate in the midfield.
Other Possibilities; Cerra, Fogarty

4. North Melbourne - Adam Cerra - Another kid I couldn't see slipping much further. If they don't get Josh Kelly, this guy won't be a too bad of a choice. Very good collector of the ball, although he is not the quickest player, he'd still be a upgrade in speed over Cunnington and Swallow.
Other Possibilities; O'Brien, Fogarty, Stephenson

5. Fremantle  -Oscar Allen - Bit of a stretch pick here. WA team, WA Player. But I think Fremantle could use an extra big bodied key defender. The lord Zac Dawson retiring, and Michael Johnson getting on. Allen wouldn't be a stupid choice. Of Freo could try move back to about pick 10-15 and still have a big chance to pick up Allen.
Other Possibilities; Brander, Balta, Naughton

6. Collingwood - Jarrod Brander - Collingwood need a key position player. Brander will easily the best choice for them. Can play both sides, I prefer him as a defender. Moore up one end and Brander up the other will see Collingwood actually win games more consistently. Because relying on Dunn isn't going to get you to finals anytime soon.
Other Possibilities; Naughton, Balta,

7. St Kilda - Lochie O'Brien - He can run, he can kick (accurately) and he doesn't mind a goal. Everything St Kilda is missing on the outside. Unless we trade both picks for Kelly, I want this guy, so badly to St Kilda.
Other Possibilities; Stephenson, Higgins, Garner

8. St Kilda - Darcy Fogarty - Done his knee, so his draft stocks will drop. Didn't have a good carnival either. But the kid is a machine, could easily come back from injury and do a Ryan Burton. His foot skills and awareness is elite, so he could be a decent goal kicking midfielder.
Other Possibilities; Stephenson, Higgins, Garner

9. Bulldogs - Jaidyn Stephenson - Would be an upgrade on Crameri if used as a midfielder, and would be a good choice on the wing. Can see him even fitting in the middle with Bontempelli at times. Has speed and great eyes. Wouldn't be surprised if he went early. But would love to see the Doggies pick him up.
Other Possibilities; Higgins, Garner, O'Brien

10. Melbourne - Nick Coffield - Elite off the back flank. Can also do stints in the middle, although it wont be needed with Melbourne midfield. One of the best kicks in the draft, so would help when kicking to someone on the run like Jayden Hunt or Petracca.
Other Possibilities; O'Brien, Brayshaw, Clark