The FanFooty Forum Discord!

Started by Nige, May 24, 2017, 03:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Hey all, so in attempt to kind of bring a more real time alternative for members of the forum, we've gone ahead and set up a FanFooty Forum Discord server. It'll serve as a newer and more modern version of the old FF chat. All the details you need to know are below:

Basic Info

A FanFooty Forum Discord server is up and running.

To download Discord, you can go here: https://discordapp.com/

The above link will allow you to either access Discord online or allow you to download the program (that's what I use). As I mentioned before, you can also get the app on your phone.

If you don't already have Discord, you'll have to create an account. It's free, quick and easy to do. It's probably best people use their FF name, but if you already use Discord under a different name or want to sign up under a different name, that's fine - we can always change your name once you get on.

What is Discord?

It's an all-in-one voice and text chat for people that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. It's very accessible and user friendly.

Our goal:

We're looking to bring the forum community together and provide a more real time alternative for any that is interested in using it. As mentioned, it's easy to use online, on desktop once downloaded, or via the mobile app.

Why use Discord?

There are several great reasons to join us on the Discord. We have plenty of friendly and experienced members willing to chat and get to know. The forum is fantastic and plenty of good discussion takes place and we're supportive of that, so we're really just providing you another option if you're interested in more real time options. We anticipate decent activity, particularly in the afternoons, evenings and on weekends. You can also discuss the footy on weekends!

Joining the Discord

To join, just click and follow the link to the server is: https://discord.gg/95UJz7f

After you join

Once you get on, you should be able to start chatting straight away in the text channels.

For anyone who wants to use the voice channels (I doubt this will be popular or interest many, but the option is there), I advise you set up push-to-talk (PTT). Basically, in the settings you can set up a key as your 'PTT' button to speak on mic if you want, this just blocks out background noise, typing sounds and other noises you might make while on mic. This obviously requires you to have a mic to speak, but you can still also sit in voice channels and simply listen to anyone conversing.

There's an @ feature to tag members. Generally, a member will get a notification if they've been tagged. Please don't abuse this feature or use it to annoy anyone. One thing I suggest is tagging an admin or mod when you get on so we know who has arrived for the first time and can help you with any basics like a name change or giving a role.

Another thing that people might find helpful is that you can still be on Discord but afk (away from keyboard). There are 3 other settings apart from online that you can mark yourself as to indicate your status. Idle, Do Not Disturb or Invisible. Might be good for those that still wanna be on and have access to Discord, but aren't around to actively chat, or are at work, school or whatever.

There are a few rules but mainly common sense and common courtesy apply. Anything that will get you reported, suspended or banned here on the forum will go for the Discord.

We're keeping the same roles for the forum. So those who are site-wide mods here will get mod powers and those with Discord experience will also get mod powers to help assist those who are new.

If you want to get involved, feel free to install the program on your desktop and/or phone and use the link to the server about to join us!

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask, we're happy to help!

Nige

Hello again!

The Discord has had quite a few new people join lately which is awesome to see.

It's also picked up in activity quite a bit now that the season has started with a lot of talk throughout the week from a lot of the regulars but also on weekends discussing the games and fantasy happenings.

So don't be shy, feel free to join and jump in. It's not very hard to use either and is quite user friendly. Remember, everyone is welcome!

If you do join - as a suggestion, it would be best to use your forum name, or something close to it that's recognisable.

Instructions of how to get on Discord are in the OP and the link to join is here: https://discord.gg/yrk8vWf

If you need any further assistance or have any questions, feel free to either send me a PM or reply to this thread and I'll help out ASAP!  8)

GoLions

kilbluff1985

Miss Pies

We've got quite a collection of zany members in discord and yes I'm speaking for myself. We love to come on during game time in the lobby with a bit (well maybe a lot) of banter. The lobby section is also used for talking absolute rubbish! I soo belong in that part ha.

Anyways don't be shy now and get ya butts in there this weekend for the games :)

kilbluff1985

https://discord.gg/EYfZcA

just so everyone knows  a few of us have a members owned discord channel used for fantasy sports discussion, talks during the footy games or any sports and just any other random crap like how good of a movie the breakfast club is

if you don't know what it is it's a popular chatting app can get it on your phone or pc

feel free to join

RaisyDaisy

kilbluff1985