The Flaming Goats 2017

Started by Rusty00, March 24, 2017, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty00

I don't usually do these team threads (I'm not really sure why) but thought it might be good to have a few to follow in DT this season.

Had Butler at F6 yesterday but decided that was too weak so downgraded Nank to Sandi to bring in Taranto. Hasn't turned out very well so far :-\

I also had SPS at M8 but was worried he wouldn't be the best scorer in DT, so traded him out for now. Can't decide whether I'm too weak through M8-M11 and whether I should downgrade Steele/Rough to bring in a Swallow type? Or maybe even Laird to Thurlow to generate cash but don't really want to do that.

Other decision I need to make is whether to take Simmo's 126 as VC by trading Preuss to Cameron? Would be reasonably confident that Danger or Fyfe or even Beams could match 126, but it is points in the bank?

Chelskiman

It's always tough when you have a 126 there ready to go as a captain score.  If it were a round 5 or 6 clash then I would 100% take it, but in round one I'd be tempted to risk it and try and go even bigger with someone like Danger.

Mat0369

I'd do the downgrade or shift Steele into the mdfield if that's also an option. I don't think Turner is going to play so you might be short on two spots looking at the team right now. It kidn of depends on which forward rookies you like but one solution to your problem might be this.

Preuss>Cameron for Simmo's VC score and small amount of cash.
Houston onto the field and Parfitt to F7 for Turner.

Then you might have to downgrade Roughy/Steele to Hoskin-Elliott to bring in Swallow or you could play Steele at M8 and see the best available forward you can bring in.

Rusty00

What are peoples thoughts on Horlin-Smith? Scored 98 from 57% game time in JLT 2 however Danger only had 42% game time. Then 76 from 63% game time in JLT 3. I saw a bit of JLT3 and seemed to be in at a lot of centre bounces. Should get opportunities this year, is an injury risk but then so is Swallow. For some reason I just don't have as good a feeling about Swallow as others do.

Currently deciding between Horlin-Smith + Roughead vs Swallow + Hoskin-Elliott?

Mat0369

Pass on Horlin-Smith. I don't think he is very good. He will probably get tagging duties with Guthrie and Scott Selwood out as well.

Rusty00

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 24, 2017, 06:05:57 PM
Pass on Horlin-Smith. I don't think he is very good. He will probably get tagging duties with Guthrie and Scott Selwood out as well.
Yeah, you're probably right. Was clutching at straws a bit haha.

Mat0369

If you were to lock in one of Steele or Roughy which would you go? I'm contemplating Steele because it seems like Richardson loves him and St Kilda play a high possession game in the midfield. Steven and Armo were huge a couple years back.

Rusty00

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 24, 2017, 07:33:06 PM
If you were to lock in one of Steele or Roughy which would you go? I'm contemplating Steele because it seems like Richardson loves him and St Kilda play a high possession game in the midfield. Steven and Armo were huge a couple years back.
I'm going Steele. I've cooled off on Roughy in the AF/DT formats.

Mat0369

Quote from: Rusty00 on March 24, 2017, 07:46:09 PM
I'm going Steele. I've cooled off on Roughy in the AF/DT formats.

The more I think about Roughy the more I think he is on the decline. He just seemed the best available player in that price range.

Rusty00

Here's how my final team ended up:

Simpson, Adams, Laird, Marchbank, Hampton, Otten, (Stewart, Hibberd)
Danger, Treloar, T Mitchell, Steven, Fyfe, Beams, O'Meara, Horlin-Smith, (Powell-Pepper, Barrett, Picket)
Martin, Sandilands, (Cameron)
Greene, Dahlhaus, Steele, Roughead, Taranto, Bowes, (Houston, Eddy)

Can't say I'm totally happy how it ended up, but scored 2142 so not too bad. I actually ended up with Kade Stewart in my team :o and then didn't realise he wasn't selected for the Hawks. Lucky it was a rolling lockout or I may have hit "delete team". When Swallow was a late out I had to mess around with my team a bit (whilst getting on the beers) so ended up with Rough back in and also Horlin-Smith, neither of which I'm that happy with. Taranto and Bowes as well didn't look the best.

Will need to pick between Adams or Treloar for VC this week.

Rusty00

Scored 2077 in Rd.2 to have me ranked 1974. Not too bad, but not that good either :-\

Out of all 3 comps this is the one I feel I have the most things I want to fix, which I guess is not surprising seeing as though I wasn't super happy with how my team ended up.

Danger, Treloar, T Mitchell, Steven, Fyfe, Beams, O'Meara, Horlin-Smith, (Powell-Pepper, Barrett, Picket)
Greene, Dahlhaus, Steele, Roughead, Taranto, Bowes, (Houston, Eddy)

As I thought would happen, Rough isn't setting the world on fire but he'll have to stay for now. Barrett and Picket will be slow burners but seem to have decent JS so can stay as well. GHS, Taranto and Bowes you'd have to say were not good picks whilst I'm missing WHE and Butler.

Steven is the other one I'll need to deal with (as it seems a few of us on here need to). The obvious play seems to be Steven to Murphy and then GHS/Taranto/Bowes up to WHE. I'm worried I'm chasing points and wondering it would be better going Steven to another premo and GHS/Taranto/Bowes to Butler?

Mat0369

Murphy loves playing the Dons so I'd say he is a good pick for at least this week. Horlin-Smith is a super spud but GC are terrible and I can't see Bowes winning a heap of the footy.

Taranto looks like he is suited to SC but is worth holding at least this week. It gives you a second look at Hayward and then I would look at GHS out, Taranto to the mids and Hayward in.

It probably gives you enough cash in the bank to turn Roughy into a forward or mid premium the week after

Rusty00

Gee it's a good feeling when you're trades have a great result the following round  :)

Went Steven > Murphy and GHS > WHE which helped me to a score of 2275 which moved me up to 877 overall.

Danger, Treloar, T Mitchell, Fyfe, Murphy, Beams, O'Meara, Powell-Pepper, (Bowes, Barrett, Picket)
Greene, Dahlhaus, Steele, Roughead, Hoskin-Elliott, Taranto (Houston, Eddy)

Hibberd to Newman the obvious trade this week. Have to have a closer look whether I make another trade with Taranto and Bowes in the gun.

Adamant

Looking good mate. I'd probably give Taranto and Bowes one more week to show something. Both had strong final quarters in their games this week which could mean a decent score is just around the corner to get their cash generation going.

There will also be quite a few bubble boys over the next couple of weeks whereas I can't think of anyone other than Hayward that would be worth bringing in this week?

Rusty00

Yeah apart from Newman the other bubble boys don't scream as must haves this week.

Swallow has me thinking though. To be honest I wasn't as positive about him pre-season as most as I just wasn't sure he could pump out much more than 80, but he has looked pretty good so far. It's probably the wrong move but it's tempting to bring him in for O'Meara for immediate cash and quicker cash generation, or Taranto or Bowes for a bump in points on field.