Main Menu

Carlton 2017 Season Thread

Started by Mat0369, March 19, 2017, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

I said it last week, but Adelaide not trading for Gibbs will cost them a premiership this year. If they want him they better be prepared to pay. They found out SOS isn't bluffing and he is still contacted.

TomK

Quote from: Vinny on June 17, 2017, 11:17:24 PM
Exciting times ahead.

We'll also take your next 10 first rounders, Laird and Sloane for Gibbs. Cheers Adelaide.
Unders I reckon, we'll chuck in the Crouch bros as well.

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 18, 2017, 05:24:07 AM
I said it last week, but Adelaide not trading for Gibbs will cost them a premiership this year. If they want him they better be prepared to pay. They found out SOS isn't bluffing and he is still contacted.
Why will it cost us a flag? Bryce Gibbs wouldn't have saved us from any of our three losses this year and we're still sitting nicely on top of the ladder.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: TomK on June 19, 2017, 12:30:22 AM
Exciting times ahead.

We'll also take your next 10 first rounders, Laird and Sloane for Gibbs. Cheers Adelaide.

Why will it cost us a flag? Bryce Gibbs wouldn't have saved us from any of our three losses this year and we're still sitting nicely on top of the ladder.

Because Gibbs is exactly what the crows are missing and need for September success.

TomK

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on June 19, 2017, 12:38:48 AM
Quote from: TomK on June 19, 2017, 12:30:22 AM
Exciting times ahead.

Because Gibbs is exactly what the crows are missing and need for September success.
The #missingpiece?

Mat0369

Adelaide is vulnerable when Sloane is taken out of the game because the rest of the midfield doesn't step up. Sloane is also getting tagged out of games far to easily. Come September that's not going to cut it. You add an elite midfielder in Gibbs into the mix and he adds class and support for Sloane. The all conquering GWS are gettable this year due to their injuries. That Gibbs trade could win them the flag.

TomK

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 19, 2017, 01:06:10 AM
Adelaide is vulnerable when Sloane is taken out of the game because the rest of the midfield doesn't step up. Sloane is also getting tagged out of games far to easily. Come September that's not going to cut it. You add an elite midfielder in Gibbs into the mix and he adds class and support for Sloane. The all conquering GWS are gettable this year due to their injuries. That Gibbs trade could win them the flag.
Yeah, nah, I assume you're only looking at our North, Melbourne, and Geelong games because our midfield did okay against the Giants and Saints when Sloane had little influence.

The Geelong game the whole team was beaten, not just the midfield and only a few players played well with two of those being the Crouch bros.

The Melbourne game we were just shower all around, not because of the midfield.

The North game, did any one of our players touch the ball in the first quarter? We outscored them in the last three-quarters with the midfield getting on top while Sloane remained quiet.

Sloane has been quiet in 5 games, 2 we have won with good contributions across the board, 3 we have lost when only a handful of players turned up for the full game, it isn't just on our midfield.

I agree with everything else though that Sloane is getting tagged out of games far too easily and the fact that Gibbs would help us tremendously, as he would any club, but, we are not a one-man team or midfield, we rely on a team effort. I would love Gibbs at the club but the price Carlton was asking was completely unreasonable for us considering the risk of trading a future 1st rounders, there being no guarantee of winning a flag or even staying in the 8, just look at Sydney, and losing two highly rated 18 year olds for a 28 year old when just a few years back we had the draft sanctions. It's not like this is our only chance either, our oldest best 22 players are Eddie who is only 30 and is showing no signs of slowing down, Dougie who is also 30, and JJ and Sauce who are a couple years behind, we're in a great spot.

Mat0369

I watched the Melbourne, Saints, GWS and Geelong games. North I was at our game and was following the tracker. The Saints were terrible across the board that night they played Adelaide, the only thing they did well was tag Sloane. I also don't see them as a September threat.

Melbourne and Geelong are both teams you're likely to play come September. You also play them again in the next month. GWS was the anomaly. They didn't tag Sloane, he just cruised around to get a run into his legs and everyone was on.

So basically at 2-3 when Sloane has had a heavy tag is still not great.

If you want to win a premiership you need to take some risks. The risk for Adelaide was giving us pick 13 and their first the following year. There is no reason why they shouldn't have been a top 4 team heading into this year. Picks 13 and 18 for a shot at a premiership is worth it. It's also not hurting your list because as you said the core is still young and you still have your second round picks both years to add talent.

TomK

Oh I know GWS didn't tag Sloane, I was just saying his impact on the game was little like it would be with a heavy tag so I was just comparing, but let's revisit this after we have played Geelong and Melbourne next then, I'm confident we can rectify the errors made in those games, if not, I'll agree.

Yeah it's not great but it's not completely terrible, if it was 3-2 it would look a whole lot nicer, and that's what our second half of the season should have a focus on.

I agree we have to take risks now, but last year was not the time for that, last year we were not one of the best in the comp, our record against the top 8 was awful and we could've fallen. This year though, we have seen improvement from everywhere and have shown that at our best, we can beat anyone (except maybe Geelong heh), and a whole nother year after the draft sanctions, which we have recovered from pretty well, should make the club feel more at ease about taking a risk.

Whether Bryce still wants to come or if the club would be willing to trade two 1st rounders, I don't know but either way, I'm sure the club is pretty self-aware of what it needs to do.

Mat0369

Silvagni gets the nomination! That's the highest we have ever had in a season with 4 and the second time we have had back to back nominations. Well deserved for SOS

TomK

Yo, we'll give you 10 1st rounders if you do the deal now.

Mat0369

That's if Bryce still wants to go home  :P

I think with Charlie another year older it might be a different story. I'm not sure if the families have been flying over during the season but if he does want to go over the Crows are going to cave this time around.

fanTCfool

Two year extensions for Byrne, Williamson and Macreadie, happy with all of those coming through

Mat0369

elephants

Daisy putting together some solid statistical numbers just before and after his concussion against Freo. How have you seen him lads?

Mat0369

He's been better. He still has no penetration on his kicking but he is attacking the ball ferociously. He is doing enough right now to get a new contract but it would just be a 1 year deal with no guarantees of AFL football.

We have a lot of un-contracted players, the way I see it shaping up right now is this.

Silvagni - Keep
Gallucci - Dump
Cuningham - I thought he had re-signed but a definite keep
Daisy - Probably keep at this point.
Dennis - Gone
Buckley - Gone
Simmo - Up to him
Glass-McCasker - No idea
LeBois - Keep
Korcheck - He has 12 weeks
Kreuz - Give up your left nut for him, KEEP!
Wright - Keep
Graham - Dump
White - Dump
Casboult - Will likely take more money elsewhere (Richmond is my tip)
Kristian Jaksch - Dumo
Liam Jones - Keep
Sam Rowe - Keep
Liam Sumner - We might keep but he is made of glass.
Jed Lamb - Another they might keep for VFL depth since we can't de-list another 10.
Blaine Boekhorst - WAFL 2018

Gorringe, Sheehan and Smedts I'm not sure on all their contract situations. I really like Sheehan but he is made of glass. Gorringe is either injured or not up to it so he is probably in the gone pile. Smedts is a VFL player as well.