Main Menu

Carlton 2017 Season Thread

Started by Mat0369, March 19, 2017, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

We're creeping up to round 1 and the actual season getting underway. While there weren't any wins in the pre-season I liked what I saw from the recruits. It will be interesting to see how we line up round 1.

The AFL site has our projected 22 up

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-18/season-preview-carlton

B: Kade Simpson, Sam Rowe, Simon White
HB: Sam Docherty, Caleb Marchbank, Dale Thomas
C: Billie Smedts, Bryce Gibbs, Ed Curnow
HF: Matthew Wright, Jacob Weitering, Dennis Armfield
F: Rhys Palmer, Levi Casboult, Jarrod Pickett
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy
I/C: Charlie Curnow, Sam Kerridge, Lachie Plowman, Jack Silvagni

I thought Cuningham did enough to earn a gig round 1 but the team seems pretty accurate. I think Weitering will play forward as the hit up target. Bolton has said we plan to play him at both ends and that's where he played in the third JLT game.

elephants

Sam Kerridge has blitzed the preseason, any idea what level of midfield rotation he will get?

Must admit this is a fantasy loaded question but he seems to have the all round game (tackles, accumulates and hits the scoreboard) to be a very impressive fantasy player.

Mat0369

The main issue with Kerridge is his ball use. He has a habit of butchering the pill far too often but he is a nice depth option for us to help compliment the midfield.

Mat0369

And there is the answer on Kerridge with him being named an emergency. I think he is better then Daisy but I have s feeling Daisy is going to play HB which Kerridge can't

Mat0369

Dennis and Daisy out for Kerridge and Cunners is something I'd like to see this week. White for Buckley could be another option.

Dennis looks cooked, Daisy can't kick and can't run and White butchered the pill a fair bit out of defense.

elephants

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 24, 2017, 02:06:56 AM
Dennis and Daisy out for Kerridge and Cunners is something I'd like to see this week. White for Buckley could be another option.

Dennis looks cooked, Daisy can't kick and can't run and White butchered the pill a fair bit out of defense.

I read that Daisy has a 15 game trigger clause in his contract. Surely the list management staff will be keeping an eye on that number after last night...

Bill Manspeaker

I wonder if Ross Lyin still thinks he's the best player in the comp

Money Shot

Macraedie
White
Armfield

For

Kerridge
Buckley
Graham

Mat0369

Quote from: elephants on March 24, 2017, 11:56:42 AM
I read that Daisy has a 15 game trigger clause in his contract. Surely the list management staff will be keeping an eye on that number after last night...

Worst. Signing. Ever

Quote from: Money Shot on March 24, 2017, 12:59:17 PM
Macraedie
White
Armfield

For

Kerridge
Buckley
Graham

Macreadie did enough to hold his spot. White wasn't bad, it was just his ball use was complete crap. We aren't dropping both of those guys.

Weits has a hip/back complaint but we have a long break. He should be able to get up for the Dees game hopefully. Levi could be in trouble and face a suspension. If that's the case then Rowe will have to be the 2nd ruck if they bring in McKay.

Money Shot

Macraedie isn't ready just yet in my opinion and needs to develop in the twos.
Rowe is going to be our number one defender this year as he has the body and experience to match it with the best with Marchbank taking the second tall and intercepting marks left right and centre.
Plowman is the third tall and looks like he is improving and improving.
Weitering can help out downback as well but will be used as a forward.

White will probably play but I just don't think he is needed and it would be better to get someone like Buckley/Graham in who need to get a string of 15+ games in to try and find some consistency.

Armfield would be better used helping out the twos and we can bring in kerridge who is one of our best ball winners but he just needs to stop butchering the ball.

Casboult will cop at $1,500 fine and move on.

Plowman, Rowe, Smedts
Docherty, Marchbank, Simpson
Thomas, Gibbs, Kerridge
Wright, Weitering, Pickett
Silvanghi, Casboult, Curnow
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy
Curnow, , SPS, Graham, Buckley

Would be my ideal line up come round 2.

Mat0369

Carlton barely changed their back 7 all last season unless they had injuries. Surprisingly they sent Doc and Simmo onto the wing in the 2nd half to try and generate some run because Daisy was fricken useless. The 7 defenders we are running with at the moment are Plowman, Rowe, Marchbank, Simmo, Doc, White and Macreadie. Last year it was pretty much the same lineup but with Tuohy and Weits instead of Marchbank and Macreadie.

Smedts won't play back, he is playing on the wing and I didn't mind him there. Macreadie was mainly responsible for Lloyd and barely got beaten so he did his job in replacing Tuohy and should get another shot.

I think if we bring anyone in it's going to be someone that can play half forward/wing. Palmer probably fits that role the best and he was one of the better players in the VFL practice match. Palmer for Dennis might be the only move they end up making.

shaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 26, 2017, 01:43:11 AM
Carlton barely changed their back 7 all last season unless they had injuries. Surprisingly they sent Doc and Simmo onto the wing in the 2nd half to try and generate some run because Daisy was fricken useless. The 7 defenders we are running with at the moment are Plowman, Rowe, Marchbank, Simmo, Doc, White and Macreadie. Last year it was pretty much the same lineup but with Tuohy and Weits instead of Marchbank and Macreadie.

Smedts won't play back, he is playing on the wing and I didn't mind him there. Macreadie was mainly responsible for Lloyd and barely got beaten so he did his job in replacing Tuohy and should get another shot.

I think if we bring anyone in it's going to be someone that can play half forward/wing. Palmer probably fits that role the best and he was one of the better players in the VFL practice match. Palmer for Dennis might be the only move they end up making.
Isn't Arnfield in your leadership group ? and he looks to have spent a lot on his new hair cut :P

Mat0369

He is, but leadership group doesn't necessarily mean you get a game.

elephants

Krooz been fantastic imo lately, but Phillips only 1-2 weeks away?

Any ideas what gonna happen there lads?

Mat0369

Quote from: elephants on March 27, 2017, 05:06:31 PM
Krooz been fantastic imo lately, but Phillips only 1-2 weeks away?

Any ideas what gonna happen there lads?

I'm pretty sure Phillips is an LTI and not expected back until mid season at the minimum.