Main Menu

AFL Womens Competition

Started by Ringo, March 05, 2017, 10:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Been meaning to start this topic for a while to gather whether interest or not.

If not enough interest will delete.

Whilst the skills of the Womens Comp leave a bit to be desired there is no argument as to to the physicality and enthusiasm for the game. Last nights game between Brisbane and Adelaide in a top of the table clash was a great spectacle although the skills went down in the last quarter as tiredness set in.  Interestingly these 2 teams who now sit 1 and 2 on the ladder were predicted to finish in the lower positions on ladder and most pundits having Brisbane last.

This competition has the ingredients to grow Womens AFL throughout Australia. This year in Qld we have upward of 200 Womens Teams and this put down to the start of the competition. The Qld squad includes 22 home grown Queenslanders and believe the Adelaide Team is comprised solely of SA and NT players,

Unashamedly rooting for Lionesses to win the competition though as a great lead in to our new rebuilding season.  ;)

Bill Manspeaker

I haven't watched a full game yet but seen bits and pieces and have enjoyed it. I'll never get right into it until St Kilda have a team

shaker

Watched the opening games and was surprised how hard the ladies go at it watched the 2nd half last night after thinking it was not on ... channel 7 finally have woken up they must put there sporting programs on the HD channel here in Gippsland I suspect after a lot of complaints and Brissy and Adelaide teams seemed a bit above what I have seen so far , all good the more footy the better ;)

PowerBug

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on March 05, 2017, 03:15:32 PM
I haven't watched a full game yet but seen bits and pieces and have enjoyed it. I'll never get right into it until Port Adelaide have a team
Same here with me unfortunately. Haven't watched anything other than the first game because I have no idea about what's on and whether they just chuck them on Fox now.

I just don't want the Crows to win the whole thing ;)

Purple 77

As you say, the spectacle is a bit left to be desired, but really, the AFLW is fantastic thing. The spectacle/skills will come.

As a person whose team is in the comp, I've found it hard to really get into, but I found myself punching my desk when I heard we lost to GWS the other day, so I must be at least a little invested!  :P

Levi434

Kenny27

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 05, 2017, 08:40:34 PM
As you say, the spectacle is a bit left to be desired, but really, the AFLW is fantastic thing. The spectacle/skills will come.

As a person whose team is in the comp, I've found it hard to really get into, but I found myself punching my desk when I heard we lost to GWS the other day, so I must be at least a little invested!  :P

You weren't the only one punching the desk, I put them in as the last leg of my 6 leg multi HT/FT win thinking GWS were a basketcase. Oh boy it was painful to watch haha

Capper

How is everyone going in Drafter??

Currently 68 / 324

Jukes

Ringo

PowerBug

Jukes

Quote from: Ringo on March 06, 2017, 11:08:13 AM
Much prefer these two Jukes.

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2017-02-18/aflw-mccarthys-runs-it-from-the-centre

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2017-02-25/ashmores-amazing-soccer-goal

The first is very poor defence, but yeah that second one is great - love it when you bit a snap/banana/soccer from the boundary and it bounces perfectly through with the great bend and all, looks great and feels better. She should be playing up forward for your men's team ;) (I'm sure that has been said in this comp a million times)

Ziplock

Quote from: Jukes on March 06, 2017, 12:51:06 PM

The first is very poor defence, but yeah that second one is great - love it when you bit a snap/banana/soccer from the boundary and it bounces perfectly through with the great bend and all, looks great and feels better. She should be playing up forward for your men's team ;) (I'm sure that has been said in this comp a million times)

I think McCarthy's one of the faster ones in the comp though. That soccer though was beautiful. Yoou could see her weighing it up as she calculated it.

I've done a couple of detailed write ups on the AFLWs on Hawka's new site  (you can see it on the other footy sites board if you want), but to summarise, personally I'm a big fan. I think to get enough people interested they needed to put in 8 teams minimum, but I don't think there was the talent pool in women's footy for 8 teams at that stage, hence why they recruited a lot of cross code players resulting in a decrease in skills overall (but still probably better footy players/ better footy to watch).

I think we'll see the full effects of  the introduction of the comp in 5-10 years when girls continue playing footy into their teens rather than being forced to change sports becasue there's no teams/ comps/ no professional avenue for them. Atm though, I find it pretty enjoyable though. The introduction of AFLW has seen a massive spike in participation of women in footy (which contirbuted to the increase in footy players overall) which can only be good for the game. Tbh, I think that having the professional womens comp makes it easier for women to be actively involved (rather than just passive spectators) which should increase the number of fans etc as well.

Anyway, as I said, big fan.

Hawka

Quote from: Ziplock on March 19, 2017, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: Jukes on March 06, 2017, 12:51:06 PM

I think McCarthy's one of the faster ones in the comp though. That soccer though was beautiful. Yoou could see her weighing it up as she calculated it.

I've done a couple of detailed write ups on the AFLWs on Hawka's new site  (you can see it on the other footy sites board if you want), but to summarise, personally I'm a big fan. I think to get enough people interested they needed to put in 8 teams minimum, but I don't think there was the talent pool in women's footy for 8 teams at that stage, hence why they recruited a lot of cross code players resulting in a decrease in skills overall (but still probably better footy players/ better footy to watch).

I think we'll see the full effects of  the introduction of the comp in 5-10 years when girls continue playing footy into their teens rather than being forced to change sports becasue there's no teams/ comps/ no professional avenue for them. Atm though, I find it pretty enjoyable though. The introduction of AFLW has seen a massive spike in participation of women in footy (which contirbuted to the increase in footy players overall) which can only be good for the game. Tbh, I think that having the professional womens comp makes it easier for women to be actively involved (rather than just passive spectators) which should increase the number of fans etc as well.

Anyway, as I said, big fan.

Havent had a massive interest in the AFLW, but Zip's articles are excellent, anyone with an interest in the AFLW should check them out

Ringo

Due to the Gabba stuff up the Qld Government has just announced all Public Transport in SEQ will be free from 8am - 8pm. Pity it is not 11:00pm though so you can also go to the Mens game but I suppose a one way fare will noit be too bad.
So come on and get to Metricon to support the Lions to overcome the Crows. Only draw back will be weather as Metricon does not have lot of undercover seats.