Main Menu

2017 Discussion (the year of JOM)

Started by Hawka, March 04, 2017, 03:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawka

Gws copped all the bullshower round 1
Freo, Suns and Pies week 2
The swans barely lost and have so many players to come back, the Roos have been better then expected in tough games.

So we cop all the bullshower this week, need to do what the Suns and freo did, we need to come out angry and hungry
No guarantee of a win OFC, but cmon Lads show us some fight

Ringo

Quote from: Hawka on April 10, 2017, 03:44:46 PM
Gws copped all the bullshower round 1
Freo, Suns and Pies week 2
The swans barely lost and have so many players to come back, the Roos have been better then expected in tough games.

So we cop all the bullshower this week, need to do what the Suns and freo did, we need to come out angry and hungry
No guarantee of a win OFC, but cmon Lads show us some fight
One of the reasons sticking with JOM.

Scrads

So this isn't turning out so great! What can we change? I'm not too sure but here is what I would do with this week's team:

In: Howe, Stewart, Vickery

Out: Langford, O'Brien, Henderson/Gibson

*JOM probably in if fit

Howe I just want in the side. The kid has shown flashes, lets give him an extended run to show us what he's got. Stewart is another one I like and as I've said previously, his tackling pressure could be good for us. Vickery comes back in and offers proper 2nd ruck support as well as a key forward target. I don't care what people say about him, he's not THAT bad and is better than anyone else we have to play that position.

Out goes Langford who I'm sick of now. His disposal is shocking and he's not even getting much of it. 5 clangers from 14 touches- have a spell for BH, mate. TOB just isn't coming on like we've hoped he will. I don't want to see him near a ruck contest ever again in Hawthorn colours and he took 1 mark on the weekend for 5 disposals- simply not enough. I honestly think Sam Grimley would offer us more if we still had him. The last out is probably controversial and if we weren't in the spot we're currently in, I'd probably be nominating Hardwick for it but seeing as this season is basically a write-off, I'm willing to give him some games to show something. Henderson won't be in our next premiership-contending team. He isn't doing too bad by any means but his disposal has also been sloppy and he often resorts to hoists down the line as far as he can kick. We may as well give his spot to someone developing even if their output isn't quite as good. The signs are there that Gibbo is past it now, he just isn't the player he was for us. I'm happy for us to play Brand and Frawley as our key defenders and I think Stratton has the goods to play basically the same sort of role Gibbo has been playing for us for a few years now. It won't happen, but either one of Hendo or Gibbo out works for me.

THE POSITIVES:
We've got some great premiership players at our disposal still and despite everyone being on our case about 'not having any young talent', we've got some guys like Burton and Sicily playing great footy, Tom Mitchell is a great contested-ball player (even if his kicking isn't the greatest), Jaeger will surely come good for us and I think we'll see better signs from him as the year goes on and I have high hopes for other guys like Hartung, Howe, Brand and Lovell (who we unfortunately likely won't see this year). Does anyone know how guys like Willsmore, Cousins and Hanrahan went in the VFL this week? I tried to look up the stats but I don't think they are out yet.

Rusty00

Stewart 26 poss, 9 tackles, 1 goal
Willsmore 31 poss, 1 goal

Were apparently two of our best in the win. Can't find others stats.

I agree we need to give guys like Stewart, Brand, Willsmore extended games now to see if they're up to it. It's disappointing Lovell is injured as I would've liked to see him play some games.

I've seen some commentary around saying Clarko should consider moving on now. What do you guys think about that as IMO I would be disappointed if he left as it would have a bit of an "abandoning a sinking ship" feel about it?

Scrads

Quote from: Rusty00 on April 18, 2017, 09:45:16 PM
Stewart 26 poss, 9 tackles, 1 goal
Willsmore 31 poss, 1 goal

Were apparently two of our best in the win. Can't find others stats.

I agree we need to give guys like Stewart, Brand, Willsmore extended games now to see if they're up to it. It's disappointing Lovell is injured as I would've liked to see him play some games.

I've seen some commentary around saying Clarko should consider moving on now. What do you guys think about that as IMO I would be disappointed if he left as it would have a bit of an "abandoning a sinking ship" feel about it?

Agreed. I still cringe when I think of Ross Lyon leaving St Kilda for Freo at the time that he did. I'd be shocked if Clarko left prematurely though, especially as he's under contract. You'd think the guy would have enough credits in the bank to withstand this sort of talk after just 4 losses...

GoLions

Hawka

I dont know were to start on our list, i think i am going to write a long detailed article on my site about it :P
But the amount of Hawks supporters saying our era is still here and we will come good and people think otherwise are unloyal is flowered
People who actually know the game of AFL knows how it works, they bottom out
I didnt think our time was going to end this season, but i knew by 2019 or 2020 it would be over
Just because i say we are rebulding does not mean i dont love or support this club
we have to face facts, we need to play the kids and at the end of the season we need to trade back into the first round
I dont care if our membership base goes down 20 thousand, i just want fans who have experienced the highs to get ready for the lows

JBs-Hawks

Our game style is flowered just as much as our list is flowered.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on April 19, 2017, 02:20:50 AM
Our game style is flowered just as much as our list is flowered.

It's okay, you can draft a really good kids with a top 3 pick and an early 2nd rounder.

Look forward to the rookie draft.

Mr.Craig

This is mostly coming about due to us trading rather than drafting. It delivered three premierships so there's no excuse for pointing fingers or getting upset. The fair weather fans will wander off, only to stick their heads up during the next period of glory. We have drafted a few decent kids in recent years. Burton, Howe, Brand, Sicily and Stewart were all relative bargains. Maybe Lovell will do something. The reality is we have missed out on most of the high end talent this decade and it's starting to bite. Some players we have persevered with for too long.

I don't agree with how the forward line is being structured. Sure part of the problem is the slow transfer of the footy which is giving the opposition time to flood back but as far as I'm concerned we need to be doing everything in our power to give the forwards one on one opportunities. On paper it's still one of the best forward six in the comp, give them half a chance to show it. Breust is pretty much at career low stats right now, we are getting nothing out of him.

I'm far more pragmatic than most, the finals losses last year didn't affect me much, nor do the performances this year. Teams tend to finish where they deserve to finish and no amount of gum flapping from supporters will change that. I care about the club enough to sit back and let them get things in order, even if it takes many years.

Hawka

*Mods delete if not aloud* (Id copy the whole post if could but it is to big! )

Here is my list analysis on were all the Hawks players are at and there fortunes for the end of the season

http://lsbsportstalk.com/?p=800

GoLions

Hawka

GoLions