Main Menu

2017 Predicted Best 22

Started by Purple 77, January 30, 2017, 10:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Startin to feel the itch for more AFL, thought I'd pass some time by sharing my thoughts on what our best 22 looks like, as well as some other smokies

Supercoachers, Fantasy coaches and XVs players, please feel welcome to ask questions about how certain Melbourne players are stacking up this pre-season :) it'd be my genuine pleasure.

This 22 was hard to name! About 14 names came easily, but it feels like there is 16 guys vying for the other 8 spots. Wouldn't surprise me if I only got about 15-16 of these right.

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Sam Frost
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Michael Hibberd
C: Christian Salem, Dom Tyson, Billy Stretch
HF: Christian Petracca, Jack Watts, Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Aaron Vandenberg
FOL:Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
INT: Bernie Vince, Jordan Lewis, Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver
EMG: James Harmes, Jake Melksham, Tomas Bugg

Ready to step up at a moments notice (along with the three EMG's above)
Sam Weideman (although still developing)
Josh Wagner
Alex Neal-Bullen
Ben Kennedy
Cameron Pedersen

Keep an eye on (these guys might really surprise... almost had Tim Smith in the category above)
Jack Trengove
Joel Smith
Jay Kennedy-Harris
Patrick McKenna
Mitch Hannan
Jake Spencer
Tim Smith
Declan Keilty

Casey bound
Colin Garland (looks finished  :-\ )
Corey Maynard (development year)
Dion Johnstone (has genuine competitiveness)
Lachlan Filipovic (development year)
Liam Hulett (development year... might sneak a game though)
Mitch King (development year)
Mitch White (seems to have stagnated, although a coach favourite at VFL, but will struggle for opportunity)

There is genuine competition for the third tall forward betweem Weideman, Pedersen, Tim Smith and even the slightly smaller Aaron Vandenberg.

I reckon Hunt and/or Salem will be playing much, much more midfield minutes.

Expect Brayshaw to still spend stints in the forward line. I think Petracca will probably spend most of his time in the forward line as well, as by training reports, his tank hasn't built as fast as we'd like. Oliver apparently doesn't look to have built as much of a tank as we'd like as well, but the coaches are swooning at his talent. I think Lewis might also find himself forward of centre too at times.

My tip for the biggest surprise this year? Joel Smith.

Biggest breakout by semi-established player? Chris Salem, closely followed by Jesse Hogan.

Melbourne player to announce themselves as an elite mid? Again, probably not in 2017, although Tyson was starting to look very likely until he had a frustrating pre-season setback. Should still play in the JLT series though.

gloryboy

thanks for your insights Purple.

What are your thoughts on Bernie Vince's role?  Will be play in guts, HB or utility?

Also, do you think Tim Smith is a chance for Round 1?

Purple 77

Quote from: gloryboy on January 31, 2017, 10:45:01 AM

What are your thoughts on Bernie Vince's role?  Will be play in guts, HB or utility?

Hey gloryboy!

I expect Bernie to switch between midfield and defence, basically the same role he played in 2016. Although we have accumulated a lot of options to play half-back (Salem, Hunt, Hibberd, Melksham, Wagner), Vince's experience and disposal is rated highly at Melbourne which will see him play there, if not most of the time. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the odd head-to-head with a star midfielder, like he did regularly in 2015. But yeah, a genuine D/M IMO.

I think Tim Smith is a big chance to play Round 1, and he is in competition with Weideman, Pedersen and Vandenberg IMO. A few times throughout 2016, Melbourne played with 2 talls and 4 smalls in the forward line, which I don't think is our preference given that Watts is used as a chop-out for Gawn, so there is a spot for another tallish option. I personally think Tim Smith is the perfect type of player (height, playing style) to sit alongside Hogan & Watts, however I think his opportunities may be dictated by how much we want to play Sam Weideman.

gloryboy

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 31, 2017, 11:01:21 AM

Hey gloryboy!

I expect Bernie to switch between midfield and defence, basically the same role he played in 2016. Although we have accumulated a lot of options to play half-back (Salem, Hunt, Hibberd, Melksham, Wagner), Vince's experience and disposal is rated highly at Melbourne which will see him play there, if not most of the time. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the odd head-to-head with a star midfielder, like he did regularly in 2015. But yeah, a genuine D/M IMO.

I think Tim Smith is a big chance to play Round 1, and he is in competition with Weideman, Pedersen and Vandenberg IMO. A few times throughout 2016, Melbourne played with 2 talls and 4 smalls in the forward line, which I don't think is our preference given that Watts is used as a chop-out for Gawn, so there is a spot for another tallish option. I personally think Tim Smith is the perfect type of player (height, playing style) to sit alongside Hogan & Watts, however I think his opportunities may be dictated by how much we want to play Sam Weideman.

Good one thanks.  On Vince, his scoring is probably going to fluctuate then based on his role, and he is probably priced about right rather than being unders.  I was hoping that he would return to mainly midfield, but maybe he can accelerate his scoring off the backline as well.  Will be interesting to watch!

Does Tim Smith part-time ruck as well, or only tall FWD?  Can't expect his scoring to be much above 50+ if he is only playing FWD.

Purple 77

Quote from: gloryboy on January 31, 2017, 11:11:06 AM
Quote from: Purple 77 on January 31, 2017, 11:01:21 AM

Hey gloryboy!

Good one thanks.  On Vince, his scoring is probably going to fluctuate then based on his role, and he is probably priced about right rather than being unders.  I was hoping that he would return to mainly midfield, but maybe he can accelerate his scoring off the backline as well.  Will be interesting to watch!

Does Tim Smith part-time ruck as well, or only tall FWD?  Can't expect his scoring to be much above 50+ if he is only playing FWD.

I'd say Bernie is probably priced accurately.

Nah Tim Smith will play forward only I reckon. I remember in DT he scored 80+ a couple times in the VFL, but I also recall sub 40s. If he plays, I'd expect a similar fantasy output.

Barra13

For me I think Melksham is best 22. May not be what I want but I know Goody will play him. Got no idea who will come out though? Maybe move Hibbo to pocket and take out Frost.

My players to watch for the next step: Salem and Brayshaw. Salem because he will get a clean run and Brayshaw has taken it up a notch. 3rd year breakout written all over him.

Purple 77

Yeah I wanted to say Brayshaw too, but didn't want to keep blurting out names :P

Brayshaw is in ripping condition

Big Mac

agree with pretty much everything you've said, only thing i'm a bit iffy on is vanders in the best 22

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on February 01, 2017, 03:30:01 AM
agree with pretty much everything you've said, only thing i'm a bit iffy on is vanders in the best 22

Yeah I'm not sure either haha, Paul Roos certainly liked him that whenever he was fit, he was straight in the AFL

Purple 77

I've heard some consistent news from reports from the last couple weeks, and yesterday's intra club match has fanned the flames somewhat, but it seems:
   - JKH is on track for a bit of a revival! With Kent being held back slightly through injury, JKH could very well be lining up in Round 1
   - The Brayshaw hype continues to build
   - Salem continues to be praised. Is this the year he FINALLY gets a good run at it?
   - It's feeling like there is only one spot for OMac or Frost, and Frost might be slightly ahead... hard to tell
   - Vince looks certain to play a defense minutes, maybe more so than last year
   - Melksham is firming for Round 1 I reckon, the coach is a fan

Purple 77

The last JLT game was interesting. Joel Smith (I told ya's all) was really promising, albeit almost all of his stats were in the first half. I think he has at the very least put himself into contention for Round 1, but what doesn't bode well for him is the amount of players that could play half-back for us. I now think that there is only one spot for OMac & Frost, so maybe that helps Smith's case because he is a bit taller.

The Jake Spencer experiment was interesting. He played quite well off the back of a really promising injury-free pre-season. I think the Dees are very curious at how playing Spencer & Gawn will work out, given it would allow Gawn to play a few more minutes in the forward line where he has proven to be quite capable. He did kick 16 goals last year after all.

Non-melb supporters and the media were impressed with Weideman on the weekend, but me not so much. He took one outstanding mark, and cherry picked a couple of goals... I dunno, he is not a lock for Round 1 that's for sure.

Salem was really exciting playing in the midfield for two reasons; 1) he was really damaging at times, and 2) ... the fact he was playing midfield, which bodes well particularly for those who want to take the gamble on him in fantasy footy.

Hibberd should play this weekend which is great, and I definitely expect him to play Round 1.

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on February 23, 2017, 09:16:54 AM
The last JLT game was interesting. Joel Smith (I told ya's all) was really promising, albeit almost all of his stats were in the first half. I think he has at the very least put himself into contention for Round 1, but what doesn't bode well for him is the amount of players that could play half-back for us. I now think that there is only one spot for OMac & Frost, so maybe that helps Smith's case because he is a bit taller.

out of the two would you give it to Omac?

could be wrong but i thought Omac was like 196cm, Frost 193cm and Smith was only 191cm.

didnt watch the game but saw Omac put up a big SC number only just turned 20, killing it on the training track I would have thought he is basically a lock?

Purple 77

Quote from: Holz on February 23, 2017, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on February 23, 2017, 09:16:54 AM

out of the two would you give it to Omac?

could be wrong but i thought Omac was like 196cm, Frost 193cm and Smith was only 191cm.

didnt watch the game but saw Omac put up a big SC number only just turned 20, killing it on the training track I would have thought he is basically a lock?

IMO I'd say he is in favour, but not a lock. Sam Frost's run is a tempting prospect, but as long as OMac plays like he did in the first JLT, then he'll play more games than Frost.

LF

Was Frost going into the ruck when Gawn was off/forward last season?
If he did and they intend to play Spencer this season to backup Gawn would that put Frost behind someone like Omac

Purple 77

Quote from: LF on February 23, 2017, 06:38:05 PM
Was Frost going into the ruck when Gawn was off/forward last season?
If he did and they intend to play Spencer this season to backup Gawn would that put Frost behind someone like Omac

They trialled Frost in a FWD/RUC role in about the opening 6-8 weeks of the season, as we were keen to make him a forward. But, in that time, it become obvious that he was very unnatural at this role and... not overly good at it. He was a full time defender in the second half of the year; cementing himself quite nicely in this role. He's definitely a pure defender going into the future.

I reckon the guys at risk of losing their spots if we were to persevere with both Gawn/Spencer in the same team, would be the Sam Weidemen/Cam Pedersen/Aaron Vandenberg spot.

If our opposition had a particularly tall forward line, then I think OMac & Frost could very well play in the same team.