Main Menu

AFL Rule Changes for 2017

Started by Ringo, December 21, 2016, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: nrich102 on December 26, 2016, 12:02:12 AM
Quote from: PowerBug on December 25, 2016, 01:13:06 PM
Sam Michael, Trent West, Sam Naismith and Max Gawn have opposition players going 3rd man up the most.

Obviously Geelong rucks have players from their own team going 3rd up the most, along with Freo rucks.

Source: Check Champion Days Twitter. 2 days so they posted two graphs, naming those that lie outside the 2 sigma level on a normal distribution (the outliers to those that don't stats)
My man  8)
People go 3rd up against him as Caleb Daniel can probably beat him in a ruck contest.

Ringo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-umpires-told-to-be-stricter-with-ducking-into-tackles-rushed-behinds-in-2017/news-story/f2aa5486470abb623fbbbaa00e9d8cc6

Some more grey areas for umpires to interpret. Ducking and Dropping knees in tackles will be called play on. Although most people will call this the Selwood rule there are others in the competition who can draw free kicks (Hunter and Christensen come to mind). Whilst we have to protect the head of players we also need to protect them from getting into dangerous positions so hence the rule has merits but will be open to interpretation. Consistency will be the key.

On another note great to see another former player getting umpiring gig in the JLT. Well done David Rodan.

Mat0369

Shuey and Murphy are two others that tend to get a lot of head high frees as well. Murph doesn't tend to drop into them as much as a few other guys, he tends to get them because he isn't a tall guy and they get him across the head.

LF

Ringo

Quote from: LF on February 02, 2017, 09:58:34 AM
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-secret-trials-have-the-potential-to-revolutionise-the-game-20170201-gu36uv.html

It's not for this year but ffs why can't they leave it alone
Agree 100% All this tinkering is ruining a great game.  Fair enough some rules need to be tightened eg rushed behinds and head contact but some do not.

Mat0369

So is JJK the best GA in the league?

R.Griffen

Quote from: Ringo on February 02, 2017, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: LF on February 02, 2017, 09:58:34 AM
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-secret-trials-have-the-potential-to-revolutionise-the-game-20170201-gu36uv.html

It's not for this year but ffs why can't they leave it alone
Agree 100% All this tinkering is ruining a great game.  Fair enough some rules need to be tightened eg rushed behinds and head contact but some do not.
In 4 years the game will be dead imo. Guys who come into the AFL 2 years ago trained and attempted to perfect skills for their whole junior footy career, which some are no longer useful as they are playing nearly a completely different game

Gigantor

What does everyone think of the umpires calling for the bounce to be removed from the game?

I'm all for it if it, I think its ridiculous that the best decision making umpires aren't getting a go because they can't bounce properly. I understand that we need to keep some traditions in the modern day but with the scrutiny the umps are under these days I think having the best of the best out there is important.

Ringo

Quote from: Gigantor on February 22, 2017, 11:06:40 AM
What does everyone think of the umpires calling for the bounce to be removed from the game?

I'm all for it if it, I think its ridiculous that the best decision making umpires aren't getting a go because they can't bounce properly. I understand that we need to keep some traditions in the modern day but with the scrutiny the umps are under these days I think having the best of the best out there is important.
In two minds here - Bounce has been traditional to the game. The Uncertainty the bounce brings is great but far too often the bounce goes outside the centre circle where bounce is recalled. However if a bounce is screwed in other area there is no recall so maybe only have the bounce for centre circle and ball up in other areas as a compromise. Alternately only use bounce at start of each quarter.
With a ball up ruckman will know where the ball is going so will be a true ruck contest especially now with no third man up.

Purple 77

I'd be happy for a bounce to start each quarter, and throw up for the rest of the time.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Purple 77 on February 22, 2017, 12:59:13 PM
I'd be happy for a bounce to start each quarter, and throw up for the rest of the time.

SydneyRox

Initially I was up in arms about changing something that is fundamentally unique and a cornerstone of the game, but I have softened a little bit.
Mainly when I heard the argument that there are possibly some better umpires around who cant get a game because they cant bounce the ball.

The other thing not many people have mentioned is are we comfortable with the people who are supposed to be umpiring the game looking to change the rules?

nas

Nige

PowerBug

Quote from: Nige on February 22, 2017, 09:10:49 PM
Quote from: nas on February 22, 2017, 08:59:15 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 22, 2017, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on February 22, 2017, 12:59:13 PM
And a bounce late in the 4th quarter of a close grand final.

There's just a feel about a bounce that I really like which a throw up doesn't have.