Main Menu

AFL Rule Changes for 2017

Started by Ringo, December 21, 2016, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-21/afl-statement-rule-changes-for-2017

3rd man up in ruck contests to be banned. This may aid rucks in scoring more.

Couple of other minor amendments made. Would have liked the DOB rule for long kicks out of defence clarified as well.  How many times last season did we see ball reefed downfield to clear and then bounce of ball eventually carried it out and was called deliberate.

Rushed behind rule tightened is a good thing as well.

Mat0369

Can they just stop screwing with the rules?

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 22, 2016, 12:41:21 AM
this times a million

I may be on my own on this but I don't want them to be harsher on deliberate rushed behinds. to me the rule was brought in to stop, for example, situations like Hawthorn in the 2008 grand final. not iffy ones where a guy may or may not have been under a little bit of pressure

if it's obvious as flower and he had heaps of options or just kept rushing behind after behind or whatever, then pay it. I'm all for that

Gigantor

Another example
https://youtu.be/a9dqFsZYzQ8
(1min mark, sorry I don't know how to share a time-stamped link on mobile!)

This is the shower that nobody wants to see.

I don't mind the banning of the 3rd man up, some of the " blocking" frees paid in ruck contests this year were ridiculous. Let the rucks be rucks!

Holz

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on December 22, 2016, 01:26:50 AM
this times a million

I may be on my own on this but I don't want them to be harsher on deliberate rushed behinds. to me the rule was brought in to stop, for example, situations like Hawthorn in the 2008 grand final. not iffy ones where a guy may or may not have been under a little bit of pressure

if it's obvious as flower and he had heaps of options or just kept rushing behind after behind or whatever, then pay it. I'm all for that

a rushed behind should be part of the game.

As you said the ones that need to be cut out is when your so obviously on your own and stand at the line then just walk it over.

If you pick up the ball and someone is running at you from 10 metres away and you chose to rush it then this should be allowed in my books.

edit: Just watched hawks 2008 rushed back to back and wow they are terrible that what you should stop.

PowerBug

Joel Bowden started it all though. He rushed from memory 5 consecutive behinds at the end of a match.

I'm happy with strict rush behind rule, although it'll disappear after 5 weeks like it did when last brought in.

3rd man up is just disadvantaging teams like the Dogs, 2016 Power and whoever else went with a small ruckman. Didn't need to change that rule.

AaronKirk

Gigantor

Quote from: AaronKirk on December 22, 2016, 01:04:06 PM

Yeah and lets get the players and the coaching staff to stop trying to innovate and change their playing styles to find an edge. In fact lets find some footage from 1897 and get everyone to play exactly like that, then they won't have to change the rules ever again!

Everything thats ever existed ever changes and adapts over time, if not it generally disappears, the AFL and its clubs are are no different.

Its the players and coaching staffs fault why rule changes keep happening, not the AFL rules commitee

meow meow

I've got no complaints about the rule tweaks. There should be a place for the Sandilands types.

Also "play on, ducked" will be nice to hear more often.

The rushed rule isn't even anything new
at all, it's the exact same rule but they might just enforce it properly this time around.

I still say they should bring in a rule where they release some horses into the ground in the really boring matches.

DunnyBrush

It's a never ending progression to exploit and push boundaries wherever possible to gain a edge.
The cycle of life, rules are always one step behind trying to maintain a ''fair'' state of play, just
have to be careful that certain rules don't try and leap-frog this normal trend and actually become regression.

I am happy for third man up to be stamped out, helps preserve the role big men play in a team.

Poor Blicavs though, poor poor Blicavs.

Ringo

For information here is the CD Data for third man up from last year

So how will that effect the SC scoring of Blicavs, Wines and Bonts,  Something to consider.

rebird

A lot of these appear to be players in teams that have lower order ruckman. It would be interesting to match up against which teams /ruckman the majority of 3rd man up were against.

Big Mac

Quote from: rebird on December 25, 2016, 10:50:42 AM
A lot of these appear to be players in teams that have lower order ruckman. It would be interesting to match up against which teams /ruckman the majority of 3rd man up were against.

100% it would be north, dees and west coast, i.e goldy Gawn nicnat

Also those teams + Gold Coast are the only ones without a player listed in the top 20 for 3rd man up hitouts.

So can see those teams benefitting the most from the change

PowerBug

Sam Michael, Trent West, Sam Naismith and Max Gawn have opposition players going 3rd man up the most.

Obviously Geelong rucks have players from their own team going 3rd up the most, along with Freo rucks.

Source: Check Champion Days Twitter. 2 days so they posted two graphs, naming those that lie outside the 2 sigma level on a normal distribution (the outliers to those that don't stats)

nrich102

Quote from: PowerBug on December 25, 2016, 01:13:06 PM
Sam Michael, Trent West, Sam Naismith and Max Gawn have opposition players going 3rd man up the most.

Obviously Geelong rucks have players from their own team going 3rd up the most, along with Freo rucks.

Source: Check Champion Days Twitter. 2 days so they posted two graphs, naming those that lie outside the 2 sigma level on a normal distribution (the outliers to those that don't stats)
My man  8)