Main Menu

Swans season 2017 discussion thread

Started by j959, November 03, 2016, 05:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

ok, time to start the pre-season thread ...  ;)

Extracts from: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-02/forgotten-swan-sam-reid-ready-for-full-preseason

Forgotten Swans swingman ready for full pre-season
Peter Ryan   November 2, 2016 8:01 AM

MISSING Sydney swingman Sam Reid expects to start pre-season training in good shape after calf and Achilles problems ruined his 2016 campaign.

The 24-year-old premiership forward was unable to make it to the line for a senior game with injuries restricting him to just eight quarters of NEAFL football.

"I should be right to hit the ground running come pre-season."

Reid, who enters the final year of a five-year deal in 2017, has played 98 games but has constantly been hampered by soft tissue injuries.

He hurt his hamstring in the 2015 finals when playing well against Fremantle and was unable to help as the Swans went out in straight sets that year.

He shapes as a key player next season as he is versatile enough to play forward or back, and with Xavier Richards being delisted, Reid can slot straight into the Swans' forward line.

"I am now able to do a proper off-season program, the same as everyone else has and have no variation to what I do.

"I will be right to go on the first day of pre-season."

Gandalf123

Anyone know who the swans are looking at the hardest for their first 2 picks in the draft? I'm pretty excited about where our picks are and the team normally does a pretty good job recruiting

Jukes

Quote from: Gandalf123 on November 17, 2016, 01:50:33 PM
Anyone know who the swans are looking at the hardest for their first 2 picks in the draft? I'm pretty excited about where our picks are and the team normally does a pretty good job recruiting

Logue, Scrimshaw, and Simpkin from what I've heard

j959

Quote from: Jukes on November 17, 2016, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: Gandalf123 on November 17, 2016, 01:50:33 PM

Logue, Scrimshaw, and Simpkin from what I've heard
I read an afl.com.au piece with input from the draft reporter, Cal Twomey, on depth across the lines and they thought Logue and a ruckman wouldn't go astray - don't think they'll go for Tim English because drafting consensus is not to use a high pick on most big men because of the time they take to develop ... ie you want a high probably 'high impact' player with your 1st rd pick usually ...

Nige

I think there's a pretty good chance it'll be Logue.

SydneyRox

Quote from: Nige on November 17, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
I think there's a pretty good chance it'll be Logue.

would be very happy with that selection

Gandalf123

Thanks guys, yeah I've had a look at Logue and seems to me like the right choice

SydneyRox

Quote from: Gandalf123 on November 17, 2016, 04:54:02 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I've had a look at Logue and seems to me like the right choice

My concern from recent reading is that he wont last to us, so someone like scrimshaw or Brodie might be the go

j959

Quote from: SydneyRox on November 22, 2016, 07:39:46 PM

My concern from recent reading is that he wont last to us, so someone like scrimshaw or Brodie might be the go
hmm ... i'm not disappointed, but i'm still a bit tentative as to how this Swans draft crop will be assessed in 4-5yrs ...  :-\    ;)

Florent - they went for silky skills and X-factor - that's a tick, but will he stay and it'll take a few years for him to crack the team

Hayward - I don't know a lot about this kid but I've read he can do both half-fwd and half-back and kick goals along with long-kicking ... bit more X-factor ...

Maibaum at #45 - I know nothing about this guy/kid ...  :-\

Darcy Cameron at #48 - good late pick, hopefully develop into a decent ruck-fwd ...

Gandalf123

Quote from: j959 on November 28, 2016, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on November 22, 2016, 07:39:46 PM

hmm ... i'm not disappointed, but i'm still a bit tentative as to how this Swans draft crop will be assessed in 4-5yrs ...  :-\    ;)

Florent - they went for silky skills and X-factor - that's a tick, but will he stay and it'll take a few years for him to crack the team

Hayward - I don't know a lot about this kid but I've read he can do both half-fwd and half-back and kick goals along with long-kicking ... bit more X-factor ...

Maibaum at #45 - I know nothing about this guy/kid ...  :-\

Darcy Cameron at #48 - good late pick, hopefully develop into a decent ruck-fwd ...

if not logue i was hoping for sympkin which they passed on to go florent, i guess they are in the same mould but will be a while to crack the team at their sizes, think hayward is a bit bigger but know very little about him also... Have actually read some big wraps on Maibaum, All-aus U18 and seems ready made, seen some comparisons to Rance in reading but i dunno.. that'd be alright

stew42

Florent - Crafty midfielder, excellent decision making, good short burst of speed to get through packs. Highly rated by Champion Data. Lost his father this year to cancer, so might explain poor start to year, but really improved in finals.

Hayward - Medium forward. Big hype in the weeks leading up to the draft, potentially as a top 10 pick. Very happy we got him that late.

Maibaum - Perfect Grundy replacement. Best one-on-one key defender in the draft, U/18 AA full back. Good below his knees too.

Cameron - Mature age ruckman, who recently spent some time up forward. Basically a direct replacement for Nank. I know a few West Coast fans who are a bit shattered we got in first.

Rookie Draft:

Ronke - Looks the business. Basically a clone of KJack. Nuggety, gets the job done.

Robbie Fox - Played for Coburg this year, averaged 11.5 disposals and 3 tackles per game in 2015, lifted that to 21 and 7 this year, plus 85 DT points per game. Named in the bests in 8 out of 13 games.

Shaun Edwards - At his third club. Has talent to spare, but needs to lift work rate. At the perfect club to do just that. Low risk, potential reward is huge.

Toby Pink - Reminds me of Adelaide's Tom Lynch. Needs to bulk up a bit, but at 195cm, can be a good KPP forward who can run up the ground a bit too. Kicked that infamous 70m torp for Glenelg after the siren which the defenders just let it go by.

j959

j959

RaisyDaisy

JPK new captain

Wasn't expecting that

Hanners, Parker and Rampe the Vice Captains

Gandalf123

Think that's a pretty good move! Gives Kjack a bit more time to focus on getting back to his best next year and Jmac will be moving on shortly.