Main Menu

2017 Season Discussion Thread

Started by Jukes, October 10, 2016, 07:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

Quote from: Hawka on March 24, 2017, 03:09:31 AM
Ambrose playing as number 1 ruck  :o

Remember what happened last time Ambrose played the hawks?

https://youtu.be/Xp553DLnn5I

Brad hill even changed teams so he wouldn't have to go through this near-death experience again

Jukes

GoLions

Ricochet

Jukes

Who would've thought that after 9 weeks we'd be five and four but having:

beaten - Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast
lost to - Carlton, Melbourne (no Gawn or Hogan)

5-4 is a pretty good place to be at the moment I'd say given we have had 3 trips interstate (2 against top 4 contenders) and played 4 of last season's top 6. Tough next few games (Richmond, GWS away, Port, Swans away), would be happy to go through that 2-2 (the way we've been playing and the AFL has been going this season could easily be 4-0 or 0-4) and then the draw really opens up as, in the last 9 games we go interstate once (vs Gold Coast), play four teams that should be towards the bottom end of the ladder, have games on our home deck against teams we'll be competing for finals spots against (saints, Dogs, Freo), and every game is certainly winnable - GWS in NSW have almost lost their last 2 to mediocre teams, Swans were 0-6 for a reason, Crows and Freo have to travel to play us, mostly 7-day breaks, etc. hard to predict but we could definitely go 18-4 if we keep playing like we have the last two weeks, but I'd say more like 13-7 or 14-8 is realistic. Only two games I'd say we most likely won't win are the two trips to Sydney.

Being mostly injury-free apart from Ambrose is great, and we have a few guys playing fantastic football in the twos but aren't good enough for AFL gigs - Bellchambers, Langford, Howlett, Mutch, Clarke, Bird, and Francis for example, the first four very hard done by to not be in the best 22 but that's how good the boys are playing. Can definitely see Mutch and Clarke getting blooded later in the season.

AaronKirk

Can we fit Dusty in on $1.5m a year? Should we go for him for that amount of money?

iZander

Quote from: AaronKirk on May 30, 2017, 12:09:32 AM
Can we fit Dusty in on $1.5m a year? Should we go for him for that amount of money?

Idk if we can but we certainly should! Providing we can lock in Daniher first!

Torpedo10

Quote from: AaronKirk on May 30, 2017, 12:09:32 AM
I'd much rather us have a go at Kelly, and honestly think he fits the inside midfield mould we need,

DazBurg

i'd rather not get in a bidding war for either

should have a sneaky crack at fyfe
losing value by the week but could be a case of is he really happy there?

note: even if we don't crack for fyfe or do i am suggesting on the basis he will not cost as much as the other 2 we have some good young kids coming through that we need to pay as they come along 1.5m for Dusty or a little less for kelly after Joey's contract add what hurley and hooker plus others....would imagine if we did land one at that kind of price it would not leave a lot in the kitty

Jukes

Stants, Hocking, and Kelly (maybe Watson or Goddard?) being delisted/retiring at the end of the season will help the cap out, and hopefully we can get some players taking less money than they deserve for the good of the team in the hopes of winning a flag. I would without a doubt pursue all three of Dusty, Kelly, and Fyfe, and sign whichever we can - I reckon we're one gun midfielder away from contending for the premiership, have elite back and forward lines and a solid stock of midfielders but could really use a matchwinner in there to help out Merrett, Heppell and co.

In order I'd target them:
1. Dusty - the most heavily linked with player, would be taking him off a rival and competitor too
2. Fyfe - Woosha's WA links could help get him? Also played at Claremont with Colyer iirc.
3. Kelly

iZander

Quote from: Jukes on June 12, 2017, 01:44:37 AM
Stants, Hocking, and Kelly (maybe Watson or Goddard?) being delisted/retiring at the end of the season will help the cap out
Goddard better not retire :O hes got a role for a while yet imo, still playing great footy and wants to play on!! Can also swing him to the halfback role, which we know he plays well in his later years. Plus i think he has a clause in his contract this year, which he would of certainly reached? (i think) :P

DazBurg

Quote from: Jukes on June 12, 2017, 01:44:37 AM
Stants, Hocking, and Kelly (maybe Watson or Goddard?) being delisted/retiring at the end of the season will help the cap out, and hopefully we can get some players taking less money than they deserve for the good of the team in the hopes of winning a flag. I would without a doubt pursue all three of Dusty, Kelly, and Fyfe, and sign whichever we can - I reckon we're one gun midfielder away from contending for the premiership, have elite back and forward lines and a solid stock of midfielders but could really use a matchwinner in there to help out Merrett, Heppell and co.

In order I'd target them:
1. Dusty - the most heavily linked with player, would be taking him off a rival and competitor too
2. Fyfe - Woosha's WA links could help get him? Also played at Claremont with Colyer iirc.
3. Kelly

true but again  1.5 is a bloody lot and cannot help but think it is committing a little too much more then we should (not saying his not a gun saying with our situation and where we are at)
i mean it is all well and good to ask players to take a cut for the good of the team but after what most have been put through to then give such a massive amount to an outsider may not sit quite well is all i mean

another name is rockliff would you gof ro him (thoguh reports saying he will stay in brisbane now just throwing names out)

nas

Jukes