Main Menu

2017 Season Discussion Thread

Started by Jukes, October 10, 2016, 07:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

Might as well get an official thread for this off-season and next season started up...who else is as optimistic as I am? Reckon we're a very good chance at matching 2013 (were 2nd in round 18 before being kicked out of finals) and 2014 (finals footy) output, probably in that 6-10 range (of course injuries, form, and trades/FA/draftees will have an impact to come). 2015 can't be trusted as a fair representation because of all the injuries, having no preseason, and WADA announcing they would appeal really screwing with things. Add to that Woosha being a better coach than Hird and a much improved list...just have forward line issues to deal with. Players coming back should be as good as ever - people saying they won't as if an injured player has never come back after a year out and played good footy.

Lot of talent on the list at the moment. I rate Hooker, Hurley, Heppell, Merrett, Watson, and Goddard are all A-grade talents. Daniher, Zacka, Leuey, Kelly, Stants, and Baguley are B+. Colyer, Hartley, Walla, Bellcho, Dea, Brown, Howlett, Bird, Myers, and Ambrose are Bs. Lot of young developing guys like Francis, Langford, Laverde, McKenna, Redman, Parish, Fantastia, etc - the latter two probably in the B to B+ category atm.

Best 22 I see as being:
FB: Dea, Hartley, Baguley
HB: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hurley, Kelly
C: Goddard, Heppell, Zaharakis
HF: Stanton, Daniher, Colyer
FF: Bellchambers, Hooker, Fantasia
R: Leuenberger, Merrett, Watson
INT: Parish, Langford, Ambrose, Myers
Emg: McCluggage, Laverde, Bird
Immediate depth: Howlett, Brown, Hocking, Redman, Francis

Add onto that whatever gun FA/trade guys we can scoop up and I reckon that's a very nice side right there

Just my seventeen cents...

kilbluff1985

i'm really not an Ambrose fan goes missing to much doesn't provide enough offense

silloc

Best 22 I see as being:

FB: Dea, Hartley, Baguley
HB: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hurley, Kelly

C: Goddard, Heppell, Stanton
R: Leuenberger, Zerrett, Watson

HF: Zaharakis, Daniher, Colyer
FF: Bellchambers, Hooker, Fantasia

INT: Parish, Francis, Hocking, Myers

Emerg: Laverde, Langford, Brown

Jukes

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 10, 2016, 08:25:08 AM
i'm really not an Ambrose fan goes missing to much doesn't provide enough offense

Conversely, I like Ambrose. Was pretty good in his first year playing as a defender in 2016 - did very good jobs on JRoo, Tom Lynch (both of them), Ben Brown, and Cameron, and he adds versatility as he can play up forward at a pinch too. Has great size (193cm 92kg) and could be a very handy contributor in 2017.

ronl

Really looking forward to Tippa's second year and how he'll go playing with mature battle-hardened teammates. Can't wait. Feel a bit like a kid counting the days to Christmas.

Jukes

1. managing to pick up pick 29 for the mediocre Hibberd who wanted out
2. grabbing Stewart for a nothing pick
3. resigning Dea and Kelly and grabbing goalsneak Josh Green
4. drafting McGrath (elite)
5. drafting Ridley and Begley (good talents)
6. drafting Mutch and Clarke (late steals and add midfield depth)
7. drafting Draper (looks good and fits a need at third ruck option)

Dodoro is a genius

_wato

McGrath deffs play round one doesn't he, if fit.

Probably takes Tippa'a spot on field.

crowls

Figure we will end up between 6-10 on the ladder.

Challenges:
How quickly team can adapt to influx of players and old bombers picking up new game plans.   We could be 3/8 by round 11 if we get off to slow start.
Forward line depth is poor and will impact our ability to kick a winning score. 

Jukes

Quote from: crowls on December 02, 2016, 10:32:27 AM
Figure we will end up between 6-10 on the ladder.

Challenges:
How quickly team can adapt to influx of players and old bombers picking up new game plans.   We could be 3/8 by round 11 if we get off to slow start.
Forward line depth is poor and will impact our ability to kick a winning score.

I reckon we have to commit to playing one of Hurley and Hooker up forward every week, seeing as we now have Hartley and Dea down back. Hooker the obvious choice but Hurley would have a higher ceiling as a forward so it's tough aha

R.Griffen

hope some Essendon supporters can help me, anyone from your list not doing preseason due to injury and won't play much this year?

Drak

Ok, revised after 2 JLT games

I reckon Hooker back. The mosquito brigade look dangerous enough if either Stewart or Brown can bring the ball to ground.

so

B: Bags Hartley Hooker
HB:Gleeson Hurley McGrath
C: Goddard Watson Stanton
HF:Zaka Daniher Colyer
F:Raz Bellchambers Green
Foll: Leu Heppell Zerrett

Bench: Parish Ambrose Walla Bird/ Brown

Leftover: Laverde, Langford, Hocking, Myers, Howlett, Dea, Brown/Bird, McKernan,

The depth is a great problem to have.... I hate leaving kids out. I think its detrimental to our future. I think McGrath could make way for Dea or Brown though.

If it were up to me, as much as it pains to say. I would play McGrath, Parish, Laverde and Langford over any returning player bar Heppell or Watson. We have enough experience to support those 4, and given Parish is blitzing the JLT with Zerrett, it seems he will only get stronger. Im a little disappointed in Langford, I thought his JLT would be stronger, but I still think he has what it takes to go next level. Laverde is a bit behind, but will get there.

Its a pity Francis keeps getting injured, given his upside. But its probably a good thing considering our list depth at the minute.

I want to see Bellchambers fit, as he has a huge ceiling and would be a fantastic 2nd tall fwd. Before injury and suspension he was kicking 4 and 5 goals when playing fwd in combination with Ryder rucking.

By seasons end, media will be lauding our small fwd brigade. Raz has something special about him. Green is the ranga flare we have been sorely missing, walla is a sensation, and Colyer will drop in from the wing/HF to kick a few.

If Joey can just get his kicking straight we can seriously push 100pts a game with this group. And thats where we need to be at if we wana push finals.

Optimistic outlook for 2017. Go Bombers!

Cookie Monster

If I was picking a round 1 team this is what'd be.

Baguley Hartley Kelly

Stanton Hurley McGrath

Zaharakis Watson Colyer

Goddard Daniher Tipungwuti

Begley Hooker Fantasia

Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Parish Langford Dea Gleeson

Francis and Bellchambers will make cases when fit, Laverde seems a bit off at the moment but can definitely come in, Myers when fit, Howlett I feel is in the 16-25 best players so will come in every now and then. Hocking I don't believe will suit the game anymore, there's no genuine stoppers anymore and i feel the game has got too quick for him. Mckernan can for sure be in the best 22 if he gets elevated.

Drak

Quote from: Cookie Monster on March 07, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
Mckernan can for sure be in the best 22 if he gets elevated.

Hes all elevated and raring to go

Quote from: Cookie Monster on March 07, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
Laverde seems a bit off at the moment but can definitely come in, Myers when fit, Howlett I feel is in the 16-25 best players so will come in every now and then. Hocking I don't believe will suit the game anymore, there's no genuine stoppers anymore and i feel the game has got too quick for him. Mckernan can for sure be in the best 22 if he gets elevated.

Before he was injured, he did some pretty tasty things. That burst through the pack and weighted kick to Walla was pretty special from just outside the 50 against Geelong in the last JLT game. Those types that just wana be a part of the club are important in my opinion. Look at Jackson Merrett, probably knows he isn't AFL standard, but is there for depth and doesnt take any chunk out of our salary cap. Jerrett is probably a clause in Zerretts contract hahaha.

Anyone see Lucas best 22 today. Thought it was interesting the names left out.

Hawka

Ambrose playing as number 1 ruck  :o