Back in the young mids or, get in a gun?

Started by tbagrocks, September 28, 2016, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

So Adelaide has one A-grade midfielder and they on the hunt for another

Thing I, I reckon these guys can play and some i'll list first, stepped up this year already
Matt Crouch, Jarryd Lyons, Rory Atkins. Then Brad Crouch played well, Riley Knight played well 2015 finals, Dean Gore got better in SANFL later on and Harry Wigg can seriously play, emergency a few times. Then there is Wayne Milera, budding star and what of untapped star Cam Ellis-Yolmen? Only two of these players are older than 22yrs (Lyons 24, CEY 23)

I know everyone thinks we need another mature star like Gibbs or Rocky but. What if a few of these talented young players have big pre-seasons and step right up to match Sloany and Thommo's output?

Just say'n there are some younger talent here, especially CEY, Wigg, Crouch Bros and Milera. Atking goes alright too and if JL stays, he could be second in clearances. Even over the Crouch Bros :o

Probably why Adelaide hasn't been active in trade week, do they really need to? ???

tbagrocks

Even with the expected improvement of youngsters Atkins, Crouch Bros, CEY, Gore, Wigg, Milera, Knight, Grigg (If he stays)

WHat are the odds of Tommy Rockliff becoming a free agent to the crows in October 2017?

I'm thinking that is the favourite outcome? Which means whatever Adelaide does in the next 12 months, doesn't overly matter. Apart from that 2017 flag :P

Jay

Jay

Oh no. Just thought of another 22 games of Thommo... I feel sick.

Grazz

Quote from: Jay on October 20, 2016, 03:18:57 PM

Haha hopefully one or two of the youngens step up mate after a big preseason mate. Not a great result for us have to agree.

Jay

Quote from: Grazz on October 20, 2016, 03:31:50 PM

Haha hopefully one or two of the youngens step up mate after a big preseason mate. Not a great result for us have to agree.
I'm not even that disappointed that we didn't give into SOS's unreasonable demands for Gibbs. But losing Lyons for nothing ???

Grazz

Quote from: Jay on October 20, 2016, 03:49:15 PM

I'm not even that disappointed that we didn't give into SOS's unreasonable demands for Softie. But losing Lyons for nothing ???

Neither am I, actually happy we didn't cave, but yeh Lyons "Not happy Jan" moment for me.

LordSneeze

Quote from: Grazz on October 20, 2016, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: Jay on October 20, 2016, 03:49:15 PM

I'm not even that disappointed that we didn't give into SOS's unreasonable demands for Softie. But losing Lyons for nothing ???

Neither am I, actually happy we didn't cave, but yeh Lyons "Not happy Jan" moment for me.
Very happy we didn't get Gibbs, Carlton were unreasonable with there demands of 2x 1st round picks.
Yes we lost Lyons, but he wanted to go and we did offer a contract that he knocked back.

tbagrocks

I'd probably imagine that CEY gets Lyons spot (Although Wigg might improve) and Milera before Thompson

Those two or three I reckon, then Riley Knight has AFL experience

TomK

Finding it hard to get excited for 2017, we can't compete with our midfield and Thommo will be even worse next year. He should be similar to Podsiadly in 2015 where he just sat in the SANFL all year. Another player I worry will decline further is Douglas and with us not landing Gibbs, he'll probably get picked every week again, I wouldn't have a problem with it if we played him as a midfielder full time and not on a flank, maybe he picks up the time in the middle we've lost from Lyons and maybe Thommo out the 22.

CEY is running out of time, chuck him in the middle full time and see what he can do, not on a flank. I'm very bullish about Hugh Greenwood though, would not be surprised if he is upgraded and starts round one, could be what we need as a goal-kicking midfielder, big-bodied, good skills, good hands, good speed for his size, decent kick for how long he didn't play for, I'm really liking the look of him. Couldn't guess our rough best 22 at the moment, depends what path Pyke wants to go down.

Jay

Quote from: TomK on October 20, 2016, 07:09:33 PM
Finding it hard to get excited for 2017, we can't compete with our midfield and Thommo will be even worse next year.
This is basically all there is to it. Our big goal this off-season was to improve our midfield, instead we've weakened it. I can't see how we're better in 2017.