Port Adelaide 2016 / 2017 Discussion

Started by nas, September 19, 2016, 07:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

New thread for Powers ongoing & upcoming season.

Retirements / Delistings: John Butcher / Alipate Carlile / Sam Colquhoun / Kane Mitchell / Jay Schulz / Paul Stewart / Cam O'Shea

Coaching staff movements: Garry Hocking contract has not been renewed & looks as if Brendon Lade is returning on a 4 year contract.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-18/tigers-hunt-another-assistant-after-brendon-lade-joins-port

powersuperkents

A favourite son returns  ;D

We have had too many assistant coaches stolen from us over the years... It feels good to nab one back

Now will someone please nab Voss hahaha  :P

Koop

One day we will have something to talk about  ;D

Gigantor

Quote from: Koop on October 12, 2016, 02:39:32 PM

What about Gibbs? I feel like he isn't getting enough attention on the forums at the moment  :-X

Koop

Quote from: Gigantor on October 12, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

What about Gibbs? I feel like he isn't getting enough attention on the forums at the moment  :-X

;D

On that though, the whole Hartlett situation is a disaster. We don't eve have the money to sign our current off-contract players, and it seems no one wanted Hartlett or Lobbe so trouble looming. Think we're in a bit of a mess, and the way the club handled Hartlett it makes you wonder if there are other issues below the surface.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Koop on October 12, 2016, 03:02:02 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on October 12, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

;D

On that though, the whole Hartlett situation is a disaster. We don't eve have the money to sign our current off-contract players, and it seems no one wanted Hartlett or Lobbe so trouble looming. Think we're in a bit of a mess, and the way the club handled Hartlett it makes you wonder if there are other issues below the surface.
+1

I'm worried about retaining Pittard

If anyone at the club deserves the type of money Hartlett & Spud Lobes is on, it's Pittard...  :-\

He will attract a lot of attention next season

elephants

It seems Port have really cooked themselves by aggressively overestimating where they were at, and offering enormous contracts to B-Grade players.

Its unfortunate, I for one was convinced they were tracking for a premiership when they finished top 4 (can't remember what year that was, 12/13?) so chasing Dixon/Ryder was probably a fair call.

I reckon they need to strip it back and re-assess. Guys like Pittard, Wines, Chad are the ones who need to be on big money. I'd also love to see Chad get a run through the guts at some point!

Koop

Quote from: elephants on October 12, 2016, 04:13:28 PM
It seems Port have really cooked themselves by aggressively overestimating where they were at, and offering enormous contracts to B-Grade players.

Its unfortunate, I for one was convinced they were tracking for a premiership when they finished top 4 (can't remember what year that was, 12/13?) so chasing Dixon/Ryder was probably a fair call.

I reckon they need to strip it back and re-assess. Guys like Pittard, Wines, Chad are the ones who need to be on big money. I'd also love to see Chad get a run through the guts at some point!

Nah we finished 7th (8th on points) in 2013 & 5th in 2014. Chasing Ryder was a good call, Dixon I'm still not 100% sold on, but I'm sure another season and I'll be singing his praises.

I reckon the club is in a bit of trouble, we have a few guys at the moment (Gray, Arch, etc.) who I think we are unable to sign due to lack of funds. Not saying either should be on big money but it is a concern.  Pittard & Young are two that are coming off contract at the end of next year who will be demanding a lot more money than their last contracts, and while I don't think either is in danger of leaving due to personal reasons, the money might not be there.

Speaking of Ah Chee, could be headed home if the GC have a spot on their list. If we're going to continue to play him as a half forward I respect his decision to look elsewhere, since while he may not be a world beater, he is an inside mid.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Koop on October 14, 2016, 06:15:31 PM

Nah we finished 7th (8th on points) in 2013 & 5th in 2014. Chasing Ryder was a good call, Dixon I'm still not 100% sold on, but I'm sure another season and I'll be singing his praises.

I reckon the club is in a bit of trouble, we have a few guys at the moment (Gray, Arch, etc.) who I think we are unable to sign due to lack of funds. Not saying either should be on big money but it is a concern.  Pittard & Young are two that are coming off contract at the end of next year who will be demanding a lot more money than their last contracts, and while I don't think either is in danger of leaving due to personal reasons, the money might not be there.

Speaking of Ah Chee, could be headed home if the GC have a spot on their list. If we're going to continue to play him as a half forward I respect his decision to look elsewhere, since while he may not be a world beater, he is an inside mid.
+1

We need to stop playing Hammer out of position as well

Gold Coast are just as guilty of the practice though - KK is not a lockdown defender, Eade needs to play him in a rebounding role again next season (it may be due to the injuries though)

Koop

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 14, 2016, 07:49:03 PM
Quote from: Koop on October 14, 2016, 06:15:31 PM

+1

We need to stop playing Hammer out of position as well

Gold Coast are just as guilty of the practice though - KK is not a lockdown defender, Eade needs to play him in a rebounding role again next season (it may be due to the injuries though)

Agreed, Hartlett is not a back flanker by any means. Theres a few others I think who aren't in their correct position either, but some would disagree.

As ele said also, I'd love to see Chad get a run through the middle at some point in 2017.

My current Best 22 for Round 1 next year (assuming Ah Chee departs)

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Jack Hombsch, Tom Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Jasper Pittard,
C: Matt White, Ollie Wines, Brad Ebert
HF: Angus Monfries*, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard
F: Jarman Impey, Charlie Dixon, Aaron Young
Fol: Patrick Ryder, Robbie Gray, Travis Boak
I: Jared Polec, Nathan Krakouer, Hamish Hartlett, Sam Gray

E: Karl Amon, Jesse Palmer, Tom Clurey
* - Pending contract

DEF depth: Bonner, O'Shea*, Austin, Stewart*, Hewett
MID depth: Toumpas, Snelling, Johnson
RUC depth: Lobbe (can't see him over anyone, Gray maybe?), Frampton
FWD depth: Neade, Howard, Houston

Have I forgotten anyone?

PowerBug

Almost always someone is forgotten but I can't see any holes on first sight.

If we get Vardy he will probably be first team over one of the midfielders.

powersuperkents

Yeah I agree, Lobbe better not be a starter next season

He needs to prove himself again

powersuperkents

Good Luck to Ah Chee at the Gold Coast

He's been a solid fringe player for Port and it's good to see that he can now get more opportunities (and be united with his brother).

A mutually beneficial trade because we can free up some cap space & give Pittard a pay raise next season  :)

Dudge

I said to Grazz today, from a kick away from a Grand final, in 2014, and a destination club of some sorts, everything gone pear shaped. I think these long term contracts will come back to bite us on the arse. I still believe there's something else not right at the club. Not close enough to know what, but something just ain't quite right

Koop

Quote from: Dudge on October 17, 2016, 09:27:50 PM
I said to Grazz today, from a kick away from a Grand final, in 2014, and a destination club of some sorts, everything gone pear shaped. I think these long term contracts will come back to bite us on the arse. I still believe there's something else not right at the club. Not close enough to know what, but something just ain't quite right

rift between Boak & Hartlett over Hartlett spending too much time with Boak's missus according to my chiropractor who's brother works in a similar role at an AFL club. how much truth there is to that I don't know.

Also PSK, I didn't think there was anything official yet?