Main Menu

2017 Season

Started by _wato, September 05, 2016, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_wato

Lots of things to look forward to IMO. Yes we lost some stars and some vets (Swanny, Cloke, Macaffer, Toovey) which is always tough but we have so many talented players on our team/to come back that I can't help but see many good things to come. Keefe, Thomas, Elliot, Shaz to come back in 2017 after injuries and suspensions as well as Daicos and Brown who will be picked up as F/S picks in the draft. If we can hold onto Brown and nab another 1 or 2 KPP players (disappointed we aren't after Marchbank by what I've been told), we might do okay next year - our biggest weakness is our KPP's and we are so thin in this area... Only genuine worry. WHE also looks likely to nominate pies as his preferred destination.

Best 22 (before draft and trade period)

B: Marsh, Brown, Maynard
HB: Smith, Reid, Howe
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Crisp
HF: Varcoe, White, Greenwood
F: Elliot, Moore, Fasolo
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar
Int: De Goey, Sinclair, Aish, Goldsack

Small Defender Depth: Scharenberg, Ramsay, Langdon, Williams, Oxley
Key Defender Depth: Keeffe, Frost
Midfield/Forward Depth: Broomhead, Wills, Crocker, Phillips, Blair, Sier, Thomas
Ruck Depth: Cox, Witts

Traded: Cloke
Retired: Swan, Macaffer, Toovey
Delistings:

Over the course of the year I think Scharenberg, Ramsay, Broomhead and Thomas can easily become best 22. Everything obviously is bound by the offseason pickups. Would love to see Hoskin-Elliot a former number four pick. Would give us 5 top 8 picks in the last 5 years (Moore, Aish, Shaz, JDG, WHE) along with our bonafide stars Pendles, Grundy, Reid, Treloar, Adams, Sidey which can give us a really strong base to work with. A fit Elliot and Fas makes us an instant 3-4 goal better team. Gotten rid of all the deadwood over the last few years and this list is so young and fresh. Doesn't look like there is any genuine passengers just being a list clogger. Anyone else share this excitement?

T Dog

Ok I'm sold. Go Pies Go Hard Go Aishy   ;D

Nige

Would have thought Langdon was best 22?

crowls

good positive write up wato.    i can hear bucks presenting it to the board.   all you need now is an attitude change.   

fanTCfool

Quote from: Nige on September 05, 2016, 11:46:31 PM

Agreed, would have had him and possibly Shaz in front of Marsh, don't rate him too much.
I'd be trading Marley Williams, Josh Smith and Maynard seem to be keeping him out of a role.

_wato

Quote from: fanTCfool on September 05, 2016, 11:49:33 PM
Quote from: Nige on September 05, 2016, 11:46:31 PM

Agreed, would have had him and possibly Shaz in front of Marsh, don't rate him too much.
I'd be trading Marley Williams, Josh Smith and Maynard seem to be keeping him out of a role.

You could be right but he's not in my best 22. You need Marsh as D3 to allow Howe to play more of a rebounding role. Howe is good as a third tall but is better when he has the freedom to run. Marsh in also allows Reid further flexibility to roam and take intercept marks which is what he is great at. Maynard has the small defender role (is our best small defender now) as well as Smith who has done nothing wrong to lose his spot. Langdon isn't great by foot and isn't great in the air, he's sort of a depth player but won't be a bloke who takes us to our next flag tilt. Shaz will be in front of him again by years end. Yes Langdon is handy and yes he is a fairly good defender but imo he'll be part of a rotation of blokes who will play in that role next year (and obviously opposition is important) but I simply see others in front of him atm. Hopefully he's filled out a little while he's been out.

My hope is that Shaz can really prove his worth and come straight into the team Rd 1 which will push Langdon back in the pecking order.

RaisyDaisy

As an outsider looking in, Langdon is easily in your best 22 man

Pretty sure he is rated very highly in the club too

_wato

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 06, 2016, 01:31:20 PM
As an outsider looking in, Langdon is easily in your best 22 man

Pretty sure he is rated very highly in the club too

Easy to say but missed since Rd 6 this year so will have to work to get his spot back. He won't be gifted a game.

As I said, Smith took his role and nailed it, Maynard, Howe, Reid, Brown are locks so he is literally fighting with Marsh for the last spot. If Marsh can get bigger he'll be able to take on the gorillas next year (192cm) and is probably more influential than Langdon (189cm) because he allows Reid & Howe to play their natural games. Langdon at best will only ever be a D3/4 meaning Reid will have to play lockdown.

meow meow

Ramsay stiff to miss. He's a gun who NEVER loses one on one contests. Maynard is better offensively but I'd pick Jackson ahead of him if you want a Nick Smith type stopper.

I'd find it impossible to be 100% excited about the team while Jesse White is still in there.

Goldsack should be kicked out by someone like Langdon, Thomas or Broomy if they put in a good preseason.

_wato

Quote from: meow meow on September 06, 2016, 01:49:41 PM
Ramsay stiff to miss. He's a gun who NEVER loses one on one contests. Maynard is better offensively but I'd pick Jackson ahead of him if you want a Nick Smith type stopper.

I'd find it impossible to be 100% excited about the team while Jesse White is still in there.

Goldsack should be kicked out by someone like Langdon, Thomas or Broomy if they put in a good preseason.

I agree that's he's a gun. But like many of our defenders he's had really bad luck with injuries and missed most of 2016. So is going to have to work his way back into the team. There's a chance that Sinclair doesn't play again so could be a spot open for one of Ramsay/Shaz/Langdon/Broomhead (who I rate really really high) as you said for a Round 1 spot.

Also agree that will never be 100% excited until we can rid ourselves of a bloke like Spud White. But seeing as Cloke's out and Cox is still learning the game, it's the way to go forward until we can go after a Wright or someone else. If Moore/Elliot/Fas can manage 40 goal season we'll do well next year despite fielding spuds like him

Rusty00

Since he's been mentioned here, what's the latest on Jamie Elliott? Last I heard there was no fixed date on his return and he was in doubt for the start of next season?

Torpedo10

Pies fans,

Are we thinking Mas Cox will be getting Ruck status for 2017?

ossie85

Quote from: Torpedo10 on September 13, 2016, 09:46:09 PM
Pies fans,

Are we thinking Mas Cox will be getting Ruck status for 2017?

I wouldn't think so, but who knows

T Dog

Assuming Jong not getting to the Pies now.

So its just Will Hoskin-Elliott; Chris Mayne; Nick Dal Santo and potentially Boomer Harvey so far?  ???

Interesting to see what deal gets sorted from Bullies for Cloke.

Spite

Quote from: T Dog on September 16, 2016, 11:25:18 AM
Assuming Jong not getting to the Pies now.

So its just Will Hoskin-Elliott; Chris Mayne; Nick Dal Santo and potentially Boomer HarveyWells so far?  ???

Interesting to see what deal gets sorted from Bullies for Cloke.

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 06, 2016, 04:44:26 PM
Since he's been mentioned here, what's the latest on Jamie Elliott? Last I heard there was no fixed date on his return and he was in doubt for the start of next season?

Will start training in Dec, think he has been going alright and he said he thinks he will be good to go for next season (I assume he means round 1?)