Main Menu

do Brisbane NEED a priority pick

Started by kilbluff1985, August 31, 2016, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: meow meow on August 31, 2016, 10:36:25 PM
All Brisbane need is better medical staff. I doubt they'd suck as much if Beams, Christo and Bell were playing.

And Melbourne did get a priority pick disguised as Frawley's compensation pick.
maybe this will happen as well with any compo picks we get haha,
But no way should we get one as we have not been as low as the dees and they asked and was refused.

PowerBug

Quote from: Mat0369 on August 31, 2016, 10:10:34 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 31, 2016, 09:49:13 PM
hasn't Brisbane been down longer than Melbourne? i don't think you can compare the two

Melbourne last played finals in 2006, Brisbane 2009. The answer is no they haven't, Melbourne were much more of a basket case and Brisbane don't deserve a pick.

The Dogs looked to be in a worse position before Beveridge got there and Port looked on the verge of shutting up shop when they were putting tarps on the seat and getting smashed every week. It turns quickly.
And people forget we were super unlucky in that our worst years were when the expansion clubs came in. So whilst Melbourne, Brisbane get their number of top 2/3 draft picks Port didn't draft inside the top 3 at all! (Hartlett 4, Wingard 6 were our highest I believe)

Big Mac

I think the AFL's pretty much set the precedent that if a club is struggling then the assistance they get will be in the form of $$$ for a new coach/CEO etc....Which helped us a lot more than a priority pick ever would have

Ringo

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 01, 2016, 12:21:14 AM
I think the AFL's pretty much set the precedent that if a club is struggling then the assistance they get will be in the form of $$$ for a new coach/CEO etc....Which helped us a lot more than a priority pick ever would have
Yep this is the way to go and the AFL is putting money into Brisbanes Football Department I believe so we can compete with other cllubs.  Out football department is probably the leanest in the AFL due to our financial position. Suns may be in same boat.

elephants

I don't think another early draft pick is what they need. They need better facilities, bigger crowds, more entertainment/atmosphere, good internal leaders and role models. Not another highly rated kid who will be tempted by the lure of home/Victoria in 5 years time.

Ringo

Not quite ele - The entertainment is there and the atmosphere at times is there. You will always have a dull atmosphere when team is losing as we are I can remember crowds of 35 - 40k at the Gabba in our premiership years. May seem light for you AFL states but very good for Brisbane especially now this season where we have had only 3 crowd figures over 20k.
Facilities will improve when the training ground moves to the Airport precinct but we are looking at 2020 for this. For those that are unaware Brisbane trains in 4 locations, management is accross 3 locations as well and the club has been trying to find suitable property to amalgamate all to one.  This also has been some of the off field problems. Facilities at the Gabba also need an upgrade has they have been flooded twice.
The good internal leaders and role models is a real issue as can be seen who will replace Rocky as Captain if he is relieved and looks like being a choice in 2 Zorko and Beams and both have worrying traits as well.
We have another couple of good kids with our academy this year who will use our later picks on. 
Only advantage of priority pick would be if we traded it to get another gun.
As I have said my personal opinion is we should not get a priority pick as some of our issues are from bad decisions and we have to live with that.