Previous topic - Next topic

iZander

Quote from: Ricochet on August 30, 2016, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 30, 2016, 10:21:24 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 30, 2016, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
The teams on top are way way to far ahead for this to have a significant impact in the next few years, think a cap would be alot more effect.

Having said that i think i dont care if there is nothing done tbh :)

iZander
NDT in worlds went from last to 6th largely due to priority picks. It can be done

A cap simply reduces depth. It doesn't reduce guns. Unless it is ridiculously tight. It does work but giving teams more to trade with is more effective
There was a cap in place in worlds....how do you know it wasnt because of the cap?

They both obviously would help, to say which one was more effective seems difficult :P

But i think the cap would be better in such a heavily uneven comp :)
Because I coach NDT lol. And it allowed us to trade for established players.

With a cap, top teams simply trade away depth for picks or lesser depth and keep their guns. It does hurt them because injuries obviously happen, but in terms of their starting XV strength, it doesn't really impact them too much
Being a coach of NDT doesnt mean you know who which factor it was that made the improve/decrease (yes, decrease, it makes top teams harder to improve), lets be honest it was a factor of both (and a factor of good trading if your scully trade is anything like your last years ones). To, which one was the strongest factor i dont think we will ever know.

Plus if top teams have less depth than that depth is moved to other teams, which are then starters and helps even up the comp. Also it gives top teams a weakness, and they might rethink having a killer best 15 in search of depth since injuries do happen.

Basically you nailed what a cap does above, which is why i think its better :) Its the quickest way to even up the comp imo :D
I agree a cap can help. Just don't agree its the quickest way :P

On the bold though. Most depth moved from top teams is pretty weak from what i've seen. So its just shifting guys like say a  Frawley-type to a bottom team. Which really doesn't help them too much in the long run. His value won't dramatically increase and he won't help them tooooo much on field.

Plus bottom teams will value youth over establish depth

Also on the weakness (lack of depth). A team would be unlucky to missing 4-5+ of their starting XV in a GF. So top teams would most likely just risk it without quality depth.
Ah well we can agree to disagree :)

Alot of trades not happening in worlds atm because of the cap and also alot of older players being traded around because of it (alot better than frawley)

Also ofcourse the benefit of having to trade above the cap if you're under, making teams have to trade in more proven performers to become competitive quicker :P

upthemaidens

Strong Clubs will have the same amount of premiums, but depth is hurt under a Cap.  Without a Cap, strong Clubs can have depth as well.
     A Cap stops the big Clubs from getting to big and over powered.

Stopping bad trades is what is needed to keep the Comp. relatively even.

iZander

Quote from: upthemaidens on August 30, 2016, 10:57:10 PM
Strong Clubs will have the same amount of premiums, but depth is hurt under a Cap.  Without a Cap, strong Clubs can have depth as well.

A few more good points :)

Ricochet

Quote from: upthemaidens on August 30, 2016, 10:57:10 PM

Agree 100%

Ricochet

Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:55:18 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 30, 2016, 10:21:24 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 30, 2016, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 30, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
The teams on top are way way to far ahead for this to have a significant impact in the next few years, think a cap would be alot more effect.

Having said that i think i dont care if there is nothing done tbh :)

iZander
NDT in worlds went from last to 6th largely due to priority picks. It can be done

A cap simply reduces depth. It doesn't reduce guns. Unless it is ridiculously tight. It does work but giving teams more to trade with is more effective
There was a cap in place in worlds....how do you know it wasnt because of the cap?

They both obviously would help, to say which one was more effective seems difficult :P

But i think the cap would be better in such a heavily uneven comp :)
Because I coach NDT lol. And it allowed us to trade for established players.

With a cap, top teams simply trade away depth for picks or lesser depth and keep their guns. It does hurt them because injuries obviously happen, but in terms of their starting XV strength, it doesn't really impact them too much
Being a coach of NDT doesnt mean you know who which factor it was that made the improve/decrease (yes, decrease, it makes top teams harder to improve), lets be honest it was a factor of both (and a factor of good trading if your scully trade is anything like your last years ones). To, which one was the strongest factor i dont think we will ever know.

Plus if top teams have less depth than that depth is moved to other teams, which are then starters and helps even up the comp. Also it gives top teams a weakness, and they might rethink having a killer best 15 in search of depth since injuries do happen.

Basically you nailed what a cap does above, which is why i think its better :) Its the quickest way to even up the comp imo :D
I agree a cap can help. Just don't agree its the quickest way :P

On the bold though. Most depth moved from top teams is pretty weak from what i've seen. So its just shifting guys like say a  Frawley-type to a bottom team. Which really doesn't help them too much in the long run. His value won't dramatically increase and he won't help them tooooo much on field.

Plus bottom teams will value youth over establish depth

Also on the weakness (lack of depth). A team would be unlucky to missing 4-5+ of their starting XV in a GF. So top teams would most likely just risk it without quality depth.
Ah well we can agree to disagree :)

Alot of trades not happening in worlds atm because of the cap and also alot of older players being traded around because of it (alot better than frawley)

Also ofcourse the benefit of having to trade above the cap if you're under, making teams have to trade in more proven performers to become competitive quicker :P
Yep, that's what the discussion is for :)
Remember I'm all for a cap, just don't think it has as big of an impact as its meant to.

On your points above though, you simply trade in a Patfull-type to get above the minimum cap and then can trade freely again. But this type of player doesn't help a bottom team going forward. Its only one spot on your list but probably makes your list worse off lol

Rusty00

A team would be unlucky to missing 4-5+ of their starting XV in a GF.
:'( :'(

GoLions

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 30, 2016, 11:26:39 PM
I was so tempted to mention you here earlier haha

iZander

Quote from: GoLions on August 30, 2016, 11:51:42 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 30, 2016, 11:26:39 PM
I was so tempted to mention you here earlier haha
haha yeah we were all thinking it :P

Nige

I'm all for evening up the comp. Don't mind Rico's idea too much either.

nrich102

I love ricos draft idea  :P

I like the idea of a cap as well, am all for that.

fanTCfool

I'd say choose one, if any, but both may be a little bit overkill

SydneyRox

Can someone explain the cap system to me? In brief or detail?

Rids

Personally hate the idea of a cap. Just dont think people should be disadvantaged for trading and drafting well.

Nostra and I have been advocates though for a while now in regards to evening up the comp. We made quite a few attempts last year to highlight this yet it fell on deaf ears.

I dont mind the idea of priority picks. If people draft well then it is very easy to do a full rebuild over the course of 2 years and become competitive.  They also then have the option to trade those picks for more established players.

nostradamus

l want to be blunt.

The cap is an absolute nonsense.

I was one of the initial coaches of AXV and drafted strategically from the outset. the team that is now the Crabs is the result of a long laid plan. Since then Rids and l have traded and drafted accordingly.

Now it seems that this may all be undermined by a garbage rule from another comp. This is our unique comp, our unique scoring system and damn good as it is ......... why would we want to alter it to conform to another XV's system.

iZander

Quote from: nostradamus on August 31, 2016, 08:14:59 PM
l want to be blunt.

The cap is an absolute nonsense.

I was one of the initial coaches of AXV and drafted strategically from the outset. the team that is now the Crabs is the result of a long laid plan. Since then Rids and l have traded and drafted accordingly.

Now it seems that this may all be undermined by a garbage rule from another comp. This is our unique comp, our unique scoring system and damn good as it is ......... why would we want to alter it to conform to another XV's system.
At no point did we say we wanted to do it to be like worlds.....