End of season review - 2016 MORPHING into strategy 2017 discussion

Started by j959, August 30, 2016, 11:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Disappointing year in SC for me personally ... so need to get the 'lessons learned' sorted out ...

Does anyone know if there's a function on the site (before it gets 'shut down') to bring your team back to the start of a particular round??

Gigantor

On the right under "My Team Tools" scroll across until you get to "My Scores"
You can then select any round, it shows what every player scored including bench and even highlights C's and VC's

Just had a look at my RD1, Lonergan got 96! What a flowering tease haha and Bennedy's 115 on the bench isn't pretty  :P

j959

Quote from: Gigantor on August 30, 2016, 11:52:35 AM
You can then select any round, it shows what every player scored including bench and even highlights C's and VC's

Just had a look at my RD1, Lonergan got 96! What a flowering tease haha and Bennedy's 115 on the bench isn't pretty  :P
Thanks Gig, but I was more looking for an option where it could do the 'field' layout of the team to compare my starting team prior to rd1 kick-off to my team of average at the death (rd23) - i'm a visual person in that I don't have much imagination, so the round score function isn't as pretty!   ;)

Gigantor

Quote from: j959 on August 30, 2016, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on August 30, 2016, 11:52:35 AM

Thanks Gig, but I was more looking for an option where it could do the 'field' layout of the team to compare my starting team prior to rd1 kick-off to my team of average at the death (rd23) - i'm a visual person in that I don't have much imagination, so the round score function isn't as pretty!   ;)

I don't think what you are asking for exists, you would have to manually take a screen shot each week to have access to that kind of info which, of course, doesn't help you at all  :P

_wato

No more DT friendly players (so silly of me) and too many questionable picks to start the year. Stef, Shiel, Rich in my case. 

Just gotta stick with the absolute premos and only blokes who have good roles in their respective sides, not blokes who have role changes every week (Titch)

Gonna try and go after consistent blokes (Hanners, Neale, Pendles for example) rather than a 140 and then a 75 the week after (Ward), however Sloane who has a reasonably high floor would be a guy id go after because he doesn't have many lower games under 90-95

Gonna keep up my method of trading out rooks early to beat the pack (Bennedy, Tippa, Weits this year) which gave me a leg up this year once again. R/F Ruck and no floating donuts to start the year!!!! Never again 

Will only go an expensive rookie (Mills/Parish from this year) if they have really good scoring and there's nothing else. Limit the amount of $200-$450k players I pick coming off injury, because that can kill a team.

And make Danger VC/C every game from now on. Perma captain.

Can't be angry with a final rank of 336 which makes 4 years inside 646 rankings but it leaves a lot to desire knowing how much better I could've gone this year.

Gigantor

And because this thread is titled End of season review I'll give a quick run down of my season

Rank 1098

Positives:

Captains
Really nailed it this year, average C score of 136, only 6 below 120, Goldy's 96 in rd 2 only sub 100 score also had 6 150+ scores :) 203 by Shaw in rd 9 the highlight!

Rookies:
Got the starting rookies right, only missed Papley, but that was corrected rd3
Didn't have DBJ which is the only rookie I missed during the year that hurt a bit

Negatives:

Mid Pricers
flowering B.Crouch and Lonergan! Not only did I stuff up by starting them, I also held them for way too long which killed my start to the year

Not having Zorko and Docherty
Picked Rance over Docherty as my first defense upgrade which really hurt and then he was too expensive to get after that,
Not having Zorko just killed me all year haha

Trading in Lycett to cover Goldstein
Averaged 73.5 after I traded him in, was averaging 95 before that lol

Summary
A bit disappointed I slipped out of the top 1000 in the last round but still a good year. I had trades in hand and the end but they didn't really help as there wasn't really any late season carnage.
Next year, no mid pricers and I won't be holding trades if there is another pre-finals bye :)

tl:dr
Captains and Rookies good, Mid pricers, Lycett and not having Zorko/Docherty bad  ;D

fanTCfool

I encourage everyone to fill out a template like this

Final Rank:
Final Rank last Year:
Best Weekly Score (Round):
League Placings:
Best Starting Pick(s):
Worst Starting Pick(s):
2016 Flop You Considered, but Avoided:
2016 Gun You Considered, but Overlooked:
Best Trade(s) (Player, Round):
Worst Trade(s) (Player, Round):
Best Lesson for Next Year:

j959

Quote from: Gigantor on August 30, 2016, 01:13:33 PM
And because this thread is titled End of season review I'll give a quick run down of my season
yes, yes of course Gig - this was the main purpose of me starting up the thread.
my query/plea for help was just an additional 'bonus' question ...  ;)

Quote from: fanTCfool on August 30, 2016, 05:05:24 PM
I encourage everyone to fill out a template like this

Final Rank:
Final Rank last Year:
Best Weekly Score (Round):
League Placings:
Best Starting Pick(s):
Worst Starting Pick(s):
2016 Flop You Considered, but Avoided:
2016 Gun You Considered, but Overlooked:
Best Trade(s) (Player, Round):
Worst Trade(s) (Player, Round):
Best Lesson for Next Year:
very good suggestion fanTC, but also wouldn't mind more in-depth discussion/analysis/dissection also ...   ;D

j959

Ok, I did my loose end of season review - wasn't anything too in-depth (don't have that much time on my hands) ...

Very similar to Wato I think this year confirmed for me that I need to go more with the 'absolute premos'.

Like Gigantor I had trouble with B.Crouch and Lonergan but even moreso - I had way too many mid-pricers and I reckon that this has had an impact on my disappointing end of season overall ranking (see to the right).

I had 8 mid-pricers in my starting team and 5 of them were FAILs, so that to me confirms the difficulty in picking the 'right' ones ... this is not to say that you do not pick mid-pricers at all in my opinion, but that having too many is likely to increase your chances of picking up the 'duds' ...  :P   ;)

Where i'm goin to deviate a little from Wato is that I don't think I was patient enough with the rookies and off-loaded most of them a tad too early, but also I do accept that there is merit in trading some a bit early to get ahead of the pack as Wato writes above - I think the lesson to take away is to work out which way best you can work out the optimal time to cull your rooks according to your own team strategy.

Other than that, what really killed my ranking imo was 3 critical 'wasted' trades that are hard to devise a solid 'rule' for because they were speculative picks that you sometimes have to make to get ahead/cut your losses ...

Somewhere in the mid-point of the season I sideways traded Wines --> Gray and this didn't really get me anywhere and instead I had the 'opportunity cost' of not having the trade for a later period, reducing flexibility and options (when you probably really need them!).  :P   ;)

Then at the start of SC finals (Qual/Elim finals stage) I did the following 'FAIL army' moves, that I thought were 'genius' at the time ...

J Trengove --> Ebert
Ruggles --> Motlop (fwd - via DPP B/F switch)

Both of those were really wasted and I didn't get much from Motlop (prob should've gone more premo) and went backwards with the Ebert traded - so double whammy of wasted and going backwards a bit ...

Finally, I had a very 'rookie mistake' towards the end of the season ... I had meant to trade an injured Delids out of my team but with the rolling lock-out I wanted to wait and ensure that my trade-in target was all good to go (Bont trade-in 2015 anyone??) but I forgot that the Tigers had a Fri night game that week and when I went to do the trade ... big FAIL - Delids is locked for trading obviously!   :-X   :-[   :P   ::)    ;)

So, my 'rulz' for 2017:

1) Absolute premos (as far as possible)
2) Patience with rooks - but balanced against ...
3) Aggressive trading to get ahead of the pack early
4) Attention to detail with trading to avoid FAILs
(I had an error free 2015 after a bad finals 'choke' in 2013 or 2014 - I'm getting old, i can't remember properly  :P   ;))

What has everyone else got??   ;D

j959

Ok, also morphing/moving the discussion into thoughts/discussion for 2017 ...

I've heard people bandying about a mid-structure referred to as "5-O'Meara-5" ... I'm not sure but I'm wondering if this would chew too much of my budget if I have 5 super-premos there ...

Perhaps they are just saying 5 premiums with a mix of premo/super-premo in that 5??

quinny88

Quote from: j959 on November 16, 2016, 04:00:19 PM
Ok, also morphing/moving the discussion into thoughts/discussion for 2017 ...

I've heard people bandying about a mid-structure referred to as "5-O'Meara-5" ... I'm not sure but I'm wondering if this would chew too much of my budget if I have 5 super-premos there ...

Perhaps they are just saying 5 premiums with a mix of premo/super-premo in that 5??

I'm not gonna bother worrying about it until I know who can be picked in what positions.
At this stage you could save a lot of money in the fwd line with guys like Bennell, Roughy and Elliot and load up in the midfield, but who knows what players will be shifted around into different positions. Hopefully should know early next month

_wato

Well if you think about it your 5 'premos' are most likely going to include an underpriced Fyfe and Beams so you save a lot of money there

Potentially 2 120+ avg mids for under a mill makes it easy to go 3 other super prems and not break the bank

For me, hoping I can go those two and Danger, Hanners, Rocky/Sloane

Also agree with Quinny though, just gotta wait and see honestly

j959

Quote from: _wato on November 17, 2016, 06:53:20 PM
Well if you think about it your 5 'premos' are most likely going to include an underpriced Fyfe and Beams so you save a lot of money there

Potentially 2 120+ avg mids for under a mill makes it easy to go 3 other super prems and not break the bank

For me, hoping I can go those two and Danger, Hanners, Rocky/Sloane

Also agree with Quinny though, just gotta wait and see honestly
I get that and I agree with you two that the positions and prices will most likely shape peoples' structure in any event, but I still like to mull things over in my head before as it keeps me 'in-tune' with the news so I don't have to rush around last minute trying to work out my teams just prior to lock-out!  :o   :P

I do know it's ages away though but i'm a 'tortoise' kinda person ...  ;)

j959

I know it's early so m0nty will be giving his best guess re pricing but ...

Did you know that ...

FANPLANNER IS OPEN!!!  8)

Gigantor

Quote from: j959 on November 24, 2016, 01:56:52 PM
I know it's early so m0nty will be giving his best guess re pricing but ...

Did you know that ...

FANPLANNER IS OPEN!!!  8)

Just had a look, some of the games and averages are wrong.

Gawn is showing as 21@121.2 but when you look at his FF profile he played 22@118.1 but then his stats on the actual SC site are 22@118.6...

Anyway its only early days, m0nty is probably just getting it warmed up for after the draft!