British XV Finals - GRAND FINAL Team and OOP Lodgements and Banter Discussion

Started by GoLions, August 15, 2016, 12:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

It's finally here, the British XVs Grand Final! What an amazing season we've had already. We've seen teams like the Giants, Steins, and Bunnies improve heavily from last year, along with a fall from grace from the Rams, last years premiers. The new Hurricanes coach iZander took his team all the way to the preliminary finals without losing a single game, only to be beaten by the smallest of margins against the Owls. The Werewolves, Badgers, and Hawks have all battled with injuries up in the top end of the ladder, needing all of their depth to get through some games with 15 players.

I think the best part of this year is how even the competition has been. In just about every single game, whilst it seemed as though a team would win easy, there has always been the chance of an upset, which was evident a number of times, including when the Bunnies upset the Badgers, and when the Giants almost got up against the Hurricanes. And, in all honesty, next year should be even better! But enough of my rambling, let's take a look at our Grand Final match-ups! ;D

Fixture:

So in the main event, our top 8's Grand Final, we have the Winchester Werewolves taking on the Oxford Owls! Both teams were very good in their preliminary final matches, with the Werewolves getting it done against the Badgers, and the Owls pulling off a huuuuuuuuuuge win against the previously undefeated Hurricanes! Both teams have shown all year that when they are on, they can beat anyone, but both have shown off days as well. This could easily be one of those matches that is decided by the captain scores of each team, I can definitely see it going down to the wire. So hard to pick a winner here, but I think I'm going to go with the Werewolves, who will want to go one better after losing to the Rams in the GF last year!

And in our consolation finals, we have the Dragons against the Magic. I tipped both of these teams to make the top 8 at the start of the year, so it's no surprise that they're battling it out this week for the bottom 8 premiership. The Dragons have been very impressive now that they have Rocky, Zerrett, and Hall all back in the side and playing well. The Magic had a sub-par game in their preliminary final against the Hoods, but could that mean that they're due this week? I'm going to back in the Dragons here, but not by much.
Would also like to quickly mention that the Magic will be playing off in the Champion's League Grand Final as well this week, and I wish them all the best!

Please note: There will be no HGA in the Grand Final, so may the best team(s) win!

GoLions

Fun fact: The Werewolves lost the major grand final last year, and the Magic lost the minor grand final as well. Who did the Magic lose to, though? The Owls. Can the boys from Oxford break the hearts of the other team for the 2nd year running? :o I can't read :P

Also, I could be wrong, but think the Werewolves have made the GF every year! Winning the inaugural year of the British XVs, but losing the last 2 on the trot! They wouldn't want to make it a hat-trick :P

Torpedo10

GoLions

GoLions

Big blow for the Werewolves, with Fisher confirmed out for this week!

Rusty00

Quote from: GoLions on August 17, 2016, 01:51:29 PM
Big blow for the Werewolves, with Fisher confirmed out for this week!
Wouldn't be surprised if Ibbotson is dropped again as well which would probably mean an OOP defender ::)

The big one that has me worried though is Cripps is listed as a test :-\

Rusty00

So Gibson in doubt now as well now. That's great, just really great!

Rusty00

Winchester Werewolves

D: Jimmy Bartel, Brad Sheppard, Garrick Ibbotson, Tom Lonergan
M: Robbie Gray (EVC), Matt Priddis (VC), Patrick Cripps (C), Luke Hodge
R: Shaun Hampson
F: Dayne Zorko, Luke Dahlhaus, Dean Kent, Tom Bell
I: Sam Gibson, Toby McLean

E: Andrew Moore (M), Taylor Walker (F), Keegan Brooksby (R), Josh Clayton (D),

GoLions

Rusty00

Vinny

GoLions

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 19, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: GoLions on August 19, 2016, 10:44:42 AM
Tobyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 8)
He's got to make the final cut first :-\

Can't believe Tom Bell's back though!
Yeah, hopefully he's 100% fit and ready to go ahaha, don't want him to get injured again!

Rusty00

GoLions

Nige

I don't know if you want my sympathy after what transpired 12 months ago Rusty, but you absolutely have it.  :P