Main Menu

PA vs MEL Round 21

Started by Barra13, August 12, 2016, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

I was watching the discussion on Foxtel's AFL360 programme on Monday night in which Nathan Buckley and Chris Scott were discussing Melbourne's win over defending premiers Hawthorn. They were both in heated agreement that the result should not have shocked anyone: that the Demons are a much better team than is perceived by the football world and they have been that way for some time.

Scott pointed to the fact that they were unlucky against the Eagles in Perth, had stretched Adelaide a few weeks before that and earlier in the year came close to beating North Melbourne in Hobart. Buckley nodded and added they had beaten his team twice this year. We all know this, but young sides don't always shine.

What is of concern is the way that the team has gone in between those better performances. There were the two bad losses at Etihad against St Kilda, the second round humiliation at home against Essendon and of course, the capitulation in the heart of the country when they went down without so much as a whimper to Port Adelaide at the end of May when the Power were struggling. Buckley and Scott said nothing about these games and the football world and euphoric Demon fans in the wake of last week's victory also appear to have forgotten.

That is the problem with assessing how Melbourne will fare on Saturday night at the Adelaide Oval against a team that is similarly inconsistent. Will they be so swept up in the way in which they have basked for a week in their grand final like victory over the Hawks to fall into the all too familiar traps of the past?

And which Port Adelaide side will show up on the night? The one that was completely destroyed by the Swans last week at the SCG or that which outclassed the Brisbane Lions the week before?

One thing is certain - Ken Hinkley certainly knows how to beat Melbourne. His first win at the helm at Port Adelaide came in his debut match as coach when his team demolished Mark Neeld's dreams in the opening round of 2013 by 79 points at the MCG. They have since beaten Melbourne four times with three of those victories coming at TIO Traeger Park, the last of them being that 45 point drubbing in Round 10 earlier this year. Paradoxically, the Demons' best showing came two years ago at Adelaide Oval when they lost narrowly by three points in a game that could have gone either way.

The Demons have come a long way since then. The make up of the side and the style of play have changed substantially. Their young team is improving in confidence and ability with each passing week. There is always the chance that they will regress on any given week but they have developed a penchant for breaking hoodoos this year and their now seven game losing streak against Port Adelaide is waiting to be broken. Their on ball division has climbed out of third world status and threatens to move into the upper echelon in the not too distant future.

This is the moment for the Demons to shine and I'm predicting a 25 point win for them at the Adelaide Oval.

THE GAME Port Adelaide v Melbourne on Saturday 13 August, 2016 at 7.40pm (AEST) at Adelaide Oval

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall  Port Adelaide 19 wins Melbourne 11 wins

At Adelaide Oval Port Adelaide 2 wins Melbourne 0 wins

Past five meetings Port Adelaide 5 wins Melbourne 0 wins

The Coaches  Hinkley 4 wins Roos 0 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Sports3 live at 7.30pm

RADIO - SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

THE BETTING Port Adelaide to win - $1.45 Melbourne to win - $2.80

THE LAST TIME THEY MET Port Adelaide 18.13.121 defeated Melbourne 10.16.76 Round 10, 2016 at TIO Traeger Park

A wasteful Melbourne lost another game at one of its homes away from home, TIO Traeger Park, Alice Springs. Despite an outstanding ruck performance from Max Gawn and a dominant opening term (everywhere but on the scoreboard), the errant Demons watched helplessly as its defence leaked like a sieve unforgivably leaving opposition forwards on their own. Charlie Dixon booted three goals in the second term on his way to five for the game as the "away" side ran out 45 point winners. Despite making it three defeats in a row to Port in the centre of the country, Melbourne has decided to return again next year.

THE TEAMS

PORT ADELAIDE

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones,  Logan Austin, Jasper Pittard
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Tom Clurey
C: Brad Ebert, Ollie Wines, Jared Polec
HF: Jarman Impey, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard
F: Jesse Palmer, Charlie Dixon, Aaron Young
FOLL: Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Robbie Gray
I/C: Karl Amon, Sam Gray, Nathan Krakouer
EMG: Riley Bonner, Brendon Ah Chee, Jake Neade

IN: Matthew Lobbe, Jesse Palmer, Cam O'Shea

OUT: John Butcher (omitted), Brendon Ah Chee (Omitted), Paul Stewart (Omitted)

NEW: Jesse Palmer

MELBOURNE

B: Sam Frost, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Tomas Bugg
C: Christian Petracca, Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson
HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, Aaron vandenBerg
F: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver, Cameron Pedersen, Billy Stretch

EMG: Chris Dawes, Colin Garland, Alex Neal-Bullen

IN: Jesse Hogan

OUT: Sam Weideman (quad)

Purple 77

I wanted and waited for a performance like last week at the start of the year.

Because I knew if we could do it, it'd be a clear and undisputed sign of improvement, because our other wins could be somewhat be brought down with closer observations.

If we win this game against port at Adelaide Oval, then last week will be defined as our turning point for years to come. If we lose... it probably still will be.

I expect us to actually get a touch up against Port, because I don't rate our ability to settle down after a win :P

But if we win... it'll be just as big as last week IMO, because it will reinforce the point we made.

But I don't think we're there yet in terms of consistency... but at least I know with absolute certainty we are on the right track  :D :D :D

Barra13

The 18 man defense and 18 man offence that was brought last week, is what I was waiting for. The ability to get back and provide an option when a teammate is under pressure or is against it was excellent. Then the transition into attack and be a link up handball player of which there were plenty.

The biggest thing I took from last week was that the boys have realised the effort that is needed to be the best. If they can bring that effort and intensity to help out then the sky is the limit.

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on August 12, 2016, 12:43:42 PM
The 18 man defense and 18 man offence that was brought last week, is what I was waiting for. The ability to get back and provide an option when a teammate is under pressure or is against it was excellent. Then the transition into attack and be a link up handball player of which there were plenty.

The biggest thing I took from last week was that the boys have realised the effort that is needed to be the best. If they can bring that effort and intensity to help out then the sky is the limit.

That's spot on; we played like a really good team

We also took A LOT of risks, for the ENTIRE game, and I think I can only really now appreciate a tolerance for when it doesn't pay off, because when they do... we are breath-taking.