Main Menu

My Take on 2016

Started by Cookie Monster, July 29, 2016, 12:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie Monster

Well bomber fans, what a year it's been... I don't think there will be such a remembered wooden spoon in the history of this game.

If anyone had told me when the suspensions were handed down that i'd be happy with our season i'd tell them "politely" where to go. And I believe that would be the same for all bomber fans.

I don't know where to begin when it comes to thanking the top up players. Kelly and Stokes who had every right to just hang up the boots after their own careers. Jamar and Grima although didn't play much brought valuable knowledge to our younger players. And the list goes on. I really believe the season wouldn't have played out the way it did if we didn't have those experienced guys on our list and that's credit to the recruiting side of things.

Who would have thought we'd win in Round 2 let alone at all? Wasn't it awesome to shut those people up who would say "They're not going to win a game!" or "They're gonna lose by 50+ every week", pretty much straight away, I'm not afraid to admit that I had tears in my eyes after that win. I'd never really seen my own mother get into footy that much, but even she was up cheering that day. Everyone know's that win meant everything to us.

There have definitely been more impressive games than disappointing ones. We were right in the game against Geelong until the last quarter, we had a real chance against Carlton who went on to win 3-4 in a row, the resilience against North after not kicking a goal until the 3rd quarter, getting so close to beating the Giants. These games, are the games that get me excited for next season.

This year I never went into a game expecting to win, even the Brisbane game last week i was a bit 'iffy' on the result, but we had our chances, we could have very easily beaten St.Kilda and Richmond but I won't dwell on those losses. These past few weeks have shown me we have the ability to score high and when we get players back our defence will improve.

This season is something i'm sure no bomber fan will forget, I know i won't. The emergances of, Merrett, Fantasia, Hartley, Mcdonald-Tipungwuti and the continued development of Daniher, Langford, Laverde, Parish, Gleeson and even Will Hams.

Now to 2017...

We're most likely going to have pick one, it's pretty much a formality now..

Now heres some scenario's with what we can do that i'd like anyone's opinion on.

(Exclaimer: This is based on players who already have resigned and that are likely to)

One:We keep it and draft the best player possible.

Two: We trade..
I saw an Essendon fan page reply to a suggestion of getting Patton and the response was "No thankyou, he has the turning circle of a tank" something along the lines of that.

But i've been thinking all year we should go after Patton, with the continued development of Cameron and the emergance of Lobb he's almost become a number 3 forward, and he won't like that.

Why not play him one out in the goal square and let Daniher play up the ground, it allows Daniher to get away from the physical contests of a full forward.

And the idea of playing Hooker as a permanent forward doesn't tickle my fancy. I like the idea that we can put him there if we need to change something up, but the fact is we need him down back with Hurley and maybe Hartley as the 3rd tall.

Now maybe we could get a Patton and Pick 15 for Pick 1? just throwing the idea out there.

Any other suggestions?

Holz

Surely Pattons value has dropped.

Patton + 15 isnt really worth pick 1.

If you wanted the key forward then I would pick Marshall.

I think you should take Will Brodie a tallish inside mid to help the engine room with Stanton Watson not too long left. Wont do anything flashy on the outside but if you want the ball he will get it for you.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Holz on July 29, 2016, 12:57:41 PM

I think you should take Will Brodie a tallish inside mid to help the engine room with Stanton Watson not too long left. Wont do anything flashy on the outside but if you want the ball he will get it for you.
Pattons value has dropped but I'd still love to have him, whether we trade pick one for him or not.

We've always needed a forward and i really don't think drafting one is the way to go about it.

I don't think we really need another mid, with the absence of Stanton and Watson i believe if they play one or two more seasons we have players like Parish and Merrett ready to take over. But i guess you can never have too many mids!

Holz

Quote from: Cookie Monster on July 29, 2016, 01:02:22 PM

Pattons value has dropped but I'd still love to have him, whether we trade pick one for him or not.

We've always needed a forward and i really don't think drafting one is the way to go about it.

I don't think we really need another mid, with the absence of Stanton and Watson i believe if they play one or two more seasons we have players like Parish and Merrett ready to take over. But i guess you can never have too many mids!

out Parish and Merrett outside leading mids?  I know they can get the ball but think you need a pure extractor.

Goddard Jobe Stanton need replacements.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Holz on July 29, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: Cookie Monster on July 29, 2016, 01:02:22 PM

out Parish and Merrett outside leading mids?  I know they can get the ball but think you need a pure extractor.

Goddard Jobe Stanton need replacements.
Even by the time they retire, Zaharakis, Heppell, Myers will be ready to take over anyway.

kilbluff1985

if Hurley signs we don't need Patton

i would like Patton but wouldn't give up pick 1 for Patton + 15

Joe will be so much better with Hooker in the forward line with him